• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Breaking Down Kaapo Kakko’s Struggles This Season

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He doesn't play anything like Svechnikov. Svechnikov scored 20 goals last year.

I don't think scoring is the key aspect of it, it's that Svechnikov played at an NHL pace, got better as the season progressed and went from a somewhat sheltered role on the 3rd line to a more prominent role in the playoffs. I think most people expected him to have a top 6 role and be a big contributor this season. With Kakko it's probably more questions than answers after his first season, so it feels like a very different trajectory.

That being said, I think the doom and gloom over this kid is a bit much. His playing style and skillset is one that requires a combination of skill, guile and strength. It doesn't translate to the NHL as "easily" as a kid who can flat out fly. I still think there's a good chance he can come into his own if he can gain a step, get a bit stronger and learn what it takes to use his skillset in the NHL.

It would be extraordinary if the entire hockey community was that wrong about him.

On the other hand, he might be that type of guy that can put up north of 1.0 ppg in the KHL but simply isn't effective in North America. Fuck knows really.

I'm with Phil on the skating, but he also can't shoot. He can't get it off, he can't get it through, and it's a muffin when he does.

What else?

On his decision making, his biggest strength is obviously holding up possession, that pretty obvious, but what does he do with it? It looks to me like he skates it in to a black hole more often than not. The ol' Rick Nash handle it out to five feet from the blueline, turn, and fire it blindly.

He really has no business in this league at this point, or any point thus far, I think they have to realize they got caught with their pants down, and it's so far gone there's nothing else to do but finish the season.

The good? Well, he's 18 and every other guy from that draft either is bad in this league, or isn't even in this league, so I don't think he's far behind his peers in general, or even behind at all, but when all you have to go on is his performance in some semi pro hockey league, and a handful of performances elsewhere, projection seems like a risky business to me. Seems to be more Kotkaniemi's than Laine's coming out of that league lately.

rational. i concur.

His technique is bad and he’s not strong enough yet. All things that can be corrected and improved upon. He was never going to be Mike Gardner speed wise as is. And his success isn’t tied to that. He’s going to get stronger naturally as he moves out of his teens and into his 20’s. I have no doubt that he will put in the time and effort needed to become better.

Kid has the exact right attitude to succeed.

It’s a huge adjustment and by all accounts he’s handled it pretty well.

This kid will be ok

18 years old. First 82 game season. Hasnt had a moment to take a piss since before his last season in Finland. Moving to New York. Adjusting to the culture and the language. This year has to be a blur for the kid.

Give him some time to breath and take a power skating course. Shit. J. Hughes has one more point and skates like the wind. Leave it alone. He's still learning. Hes still observing. Hes still adjusting. He has PLENTY of time to work on the kinks. This "bust" talk is nonsense.

18 years old. First 82 game season. Hasnt had a moment to take a piss since before his last season in Finland. Moving to New York. Adjusting to the culture and the language. This year has to be a blur for the kid.

Give him some time to breath and take a power skating course. Shit. J. Hughes has one more point and skates like the wind. Leave it alone. He's still learning. Hes still observing. Hes still adjusting. He has PLENTY of time to work on the kinks. This "bust" talk is nonsense.

This. Although I wonder how he'll do in the AHL if he ever gets sent down. If he doesn't dominate there...

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This. Although I wonder how he'll do in the AHL if he ever gets sent down. If he doesn't dominate there...

That might be part of their logic

Clearly though, with him making the roster out of camp and playing the whole season with the big club, they feel his development is best served by being with the big club.

They're throwing him to the wolves. Seems pretty intentional. That's the best way to learn, IMO. No need for him to play down a level. Watch how different he comes back next year. I'll bet my balls we see an improved Kakko in 20/21, in every aspect of his game.

Sorry, but did you even read the article? Production isn't the issue so comparing point totals to Hughes is just irrelevant.

Hughes has the feet, the hands and the instincts that Kakko doesn't. All you need to do is watch them both to see the Devils have much less to worry about than the Rangers do.

They're throwing him to the wolves. Seems pretty intentional. That's the best way to learn, IMO. No need for him to play down a level. Watch how different he comes back next year. I'll bet my balls we see an improved Kakko in 20/21, in every aspect of his game.
Sheltered 3rd line and PP is throwing him to the wolves?

Sorry, but did you even read the article? Production isn't the issue so comparing point totals to Hughes is just irrelevant.

Hughes has the feet, the hands and the instincts that Kakko doesn't. All you need to do is watch them both to see the Devils have much less to worry about than the Rangers do.

One of these is true.

No. Dumped the subscription. Just read the comments and spit. I apologize for that.

I'll full reply when I'm on the laptop. These thumbs ain't in the mood.

Any 18 year who plays a full year with a big club is getting thrown to the wolves, no matter the line.

That would be Joe Thornton! You also forgot he won when the MVP award in 2006 when Jagr should have. No, I'm still not bitter about it at all.

Maybe someone already pointed this out, but...7 hours after this post....

Look, it has been a long, disappointing year filled with growing pains for Kaapo Kakko, whose across-the-board numbers are so bad that you might want to check out first-overall Joe Thornton?s 1997-98 rookie season with the Bruins (three goals, four assists, 8:05 per primarily on the fourth line and two dozen healthy scratches playing for Pat Burns) for solace.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/04/the-rangers-must-finally-unleash-kappo-kakko/