• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 World Junior Championship

Long live the King

This was the best game of the tournament by far, and the Hughes brothers were the best players on the ice for most of it, with solid supporting cast.

Hindsight has me really glad we passed on Wahlstrom, but I still think he's going to be a solid NHLer, just not what Kravstov will be.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an observation, though... All of the picks we've seen highlight reels of playing on their teams were very, very quiet in this tourney.

This was the most heavily coached WJC in my memory. It looked like an NHL game most of the time.

Makes me think these players will lose much of what makes them dynamic when they hit the NHL. Makes me a little less excited for Kravtsov.

I have an observation, though... All of the picks we've seen highlight reels of playing on their teams were very, very quiet in this tourney.

This was the most heavily coached WJC in my memory. It looked like an NHL game most of the time.

Makes me think these players will lose much of what makes them dynamic when they hit the NHL. Makes me a little less excited for Kravtsov.

I don?t agree with the conclusion, simply because of the tournament dynamic. I think players can definitely up their stock to an extent in these tournaments but I?m hesitant to drop it too much. It?s too small a sample size with too many new faces for players to gel or not gel with, and in Krav?s case I think the lack of skill on that team + his usage as a center took away a lot of what makes him dynamic.

What this tournament showed me is that overcoaching is just going to continue trickling down to players at younger and younger ages, and that worries me.

I don?t agree with the conclusion, simply because of the tournament dynamic. I think players can definitely up their stock to an extent in these tournaments but I?m hesitant to drop it too much. It?s too small a sample size with too many new faces for players to gel or not gel with, and in Krav?s case I think the lack of skill on that team + his usage as a center took away a lot of what makes him dynamic.

What this tournament showed me is that overcoaching is just going to continue trickling down to players at younger and younger ages, and that worries me.

his use at center doesn't change the fact that he rarely had the puck, and when he did, he didn't really do anything with it.

But that's besides the point, really. His KHL reel shows a lot of skill that I think will be suppressed at the NHL level.

I?d go with

?speaks volume re: talent?

Or accomplishment, perhaps.

I thoroughly disagree.

That team winning bronze had very little to do with Kravtsov. All he did was risk his health by playing in a meaningless exhibition. His KHL team and NHL team should be furious.

It?s actually the opposite. Over coaching happened through the 90?s and into this last decade. We had s generation of defensive robots.

What you have now are generations coming in who will be more dynamic and creative.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived