• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire D Adam McQuaid from BOS for D Steven Kampfer, 4th Round Pick, Cond 7

Vodka Drunkenski

Have a feeling ADA is gone before this guy. I don't see him being brought in as a #7..

That was my first thought, and Brooks points out that ADA must clear waivers now to be sent to Hartford. If McQuaid, Staal and Smith end up as half of the regular six, I think the defense will be looking a little old and stale for a team that is supposed to be rebuilding with youth.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was my first thought, and Brooks points out that ADA must clear waivers now to be sent to Hartford. If McQuaid, Staal and Smith end up as half of the regular six, I think the defense will be looking a little old and stale for a team that is supposed to be rebuilding with youth.

Name me the young pup or pups who you feel are ready for those responsibilities and minutes. Hajek? Who is the last junior-to-NHL player to make it and stick? Doesn't happen often. Lindgren? First year pro. Day? List goes on. This year is a stop gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Name me the young pup or pups who you feel are ready for those responsibilities and minutes. Hajek? Who is the last junior-to-NHL player to make it and stick? Doesn't happen often. Lindgren? First year pro. Day? List goes on. This year is a stop gap.

Agreed. I don't think the likes of Hajek, Lindgren and Day can be trusted to play 82 games if need be.

It's probably a bit more worrying that we apparently lack confidence in the likes of Pionk and AdA to do the same.

You do wonder what the idea is with Claesson after this move though.

agree 100%. this signing is a hold the fort guy.

Pionk and ADA were part of the problem last season. Maybe, maybe not. They'll get their shot, too. I have no problem with anything they've done so far on defense. My only problem is thinking they probably haven't done enough yet.

Same here I personally don't care for ADA and don't think Pionk is a slam dunk NHL defensemen on a good team. Maybe he is but nothing should be handed to anyone at this point imo. Really like bringing in a guy like Adam, a proven guy while far from a star he plays a physical stay at home game.

Pionk and ADA were part of the problem last season. Maybe, maybe not. They'll get their shot, too. I have no problem with anything they've done so far on defense. My only problem is thinking they probably haven't done enough yet.

Well I agree with that too.

I really like Pionk. But even though he looks good on the ice some of his underlying stats are downright poor. I still think he can be a solid if unspectacular NHL player though.

AdA has/had significant upside. His production in juniors was outstanding. Safe to say he’s not come anywhere near that as a pro, and there are major warts to consider. I doubt he’d clear waivers if he doesn’t make the team, which is another thing to consider I guess. I’d probably advocate a sink or swim exercise with him.

Well I agree with that too.

I really like Pionk. But even though he looks good on the ice some of his underlying stats are downright poor. I still think he can be a solid if unspectacular NHL player though.

AdA has/had significant upside. His production in juniors was outstanding. Safe to say he’s not come anywhere near that as a pro, and there are major warts to consider. I doubt he’d clear waivers if he doesn’t make the team, which is another thing to consider I guess. I’d probably advocate a sink or swim exercise with him.

The issue is, at least right now, he projects as probably a third-pairing defenseman. He can skate well, but his underlying numbers are awful (even though most Rangers' players were last year). But that's also exactly why I'm not willing to pen him into a meaningful role. Ditto ADA.

Targeted for both his physical qualities as well as his ability to mentor young players, it?s likely that GM Jeff Gorton ? who has spoken to a desire to improve his club?s overall toughness this summer ? understood that with a losing season and a second-straight trade deadline sell-off ahead of him, someone of McQuaid?s stature and reputation could help him navigate the rocky path ahead. While the Blueshirts have done an admirable job in collecting talented young players since the decision to liquidate at last year?s trade deadline, their immediate future is still bleak, which makes for treacherous terrain to traverse in the meantime. Thus, bringing along and developing important young players in that kind of environment becomes a difficult task in and of itself.

McQuaid might even make for a trade chip himself. With regard to the deadline, in highlighting McQuaid?s right-handedness, as well as his rugged nature and 500-plus games of experience (complete with a Stanley Cup ring), The Athletic?s Jonathan Willis astutely pointed out ?that?s catnip for GMs.?

Remember: left-handed veterans such as Nick Holden, Ian Cole, and Brandon Davidson, who aren?t without their own warts, all returned third-round draft picks to their respective clubs. It?s no stretch to assume a righty, which teams covet every year, could do the same (or more). That alone could offset the cost of the fourth-round pick given to Boston to acquire McQuaid in the first place. Though this is all a bridge best left crossed when we get to it.

McQuaid?s addition also complicates matters for the resurgent hopeful, Brendan Smith, as well as the likes of John Gilmour and Tony DeAngelo. But competition breeds excellence insofar as the best-performing players are actually selected for this roster. Should McQuaid beat any number of the Rangers? young defensive prospects ? particularly those who are no longer waivers-exempt ? the club could still opt to flip one for other assets. After all, there?s generally no shortage of teams willing to take on young reclamation projects.

Though the optics of a soon-to-be 32-year-old beating out youngsters isn?t great, it?s important to remember that McQuaid is something of a stopgap serving as a bridge to the most important blueline defensive prospects who are still years away like Libor Hajek and K?Andre Miller. None of whom he can reasonably be expected to block an NHL path from.

While it?s fair to question if the Rangers paid too much to acquire McQuaid, especially at this stage of his career, it?s suspect to question the character of the man they acquired. Just ask any of his teammates over the last eight seasons. I doubt you?ll find many, if any, with a bad word to say about him.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018/9/13/17849322/in-adam-mcquaid-new-york-rangers-find-the-fight-they-were-looking-for

I like the move, but with DeAngelo and Gilmore requiring waivers, you know any surprise long shot who out plays them is likely to get screwed. Does Pionk require waivers?

I don't like the mentality of thinking they can always flip DeAngelo for something of value if he doesn't make the team.. Are fans really ready to trade him for a 4th rounder? Because who's going to give up value for a guy going on waivers???

I can see a bad or very unlikely trade being made to make the roster compliant. Maybe we see Pionk dealt for optimal value, while holding a spot for DeAngelo? I don't see this playing out where it makes everyone happy.

I like the move, but with DeAngelo and Gilmore requiring waivers, you know any surprise long shot who out plays them is likely to get screwed. Does Pionk require waivers?

I don't like the mentality of thinking they can always flip DeAngelo for something of value if he doesn't make the team.. Are fans really ready to trade him for a 4th rounder? Because who's going to give up value for a guy going on waivers???

I can see a bad or very unlikely trade being made to make the roster compliant. Maybe we see Pionk dealt for optimal value, while holding a spot for DeAngelo? I don't see this playing out where it makes everyone happy.

DeAngelo is the guy I'm concerned about. I'd like to see him get a shot this season. I'm not a fan of Gilmour who isn't really "young" anymore anyway. I thought he was the worst of the guys brought in last season. But to your point, I'm not sure why they'd even consider trading Pionk during a rebuild. Same way people wanted Skjei traded this summer. Makes no sense.

I simply would like to see ADA and/or Pionk get a real shot, and with McQuaid, Smith, Staal, Claesson, Shatty and Skeij possibly taking up all six opening night spaces, I wonder if that will happen. The six mentioned above are sufficiently underwhelming as a group that I would like to see some youth as an alternative to two of them. That may yet be the case, with Smith and Claesson not assured of spots.

DeAngelo is the guy I'm concerned about. I'd like to see him get a shot this season. I'm not a fan of Gilmour who isn't really "young" anymore anyway. I thought he was the worst of the guys brought in last season. But to your point, I'm not sure why they'd even consider trading Pionk during a rebuild. Same way people wanted Skjei traded this summer. Makes no sense.

Point is, they may have to move a D-man. Nobody is taking Smith or Staal. It's either waive DeAngelo, or trade him for peanuts, OR they waive Claeseon or McQuaid. WHich I kinda don't see happening.

Skjei- Shattenkirk

Staal- Pionk

Smith- McQuaid

Claeseon as the 7.

DeAngelo kinda has no spot. Unless Smith sucks total balls, or McQuaid is terrible it looks like they are going to have to waive a supposed big piece of the Stepan trade of just one season ago....

I thought maybe moving Pionk would help them sell the rebuild more as well as justifying keeping DeAngelo around.

And not for nothing, I wouldn't be all that upset if they cashed in on Pionk by getting a forward prospect OR if they could expand the deal to land a top pair RHD. Hayes and Pionk for Trouba is along the lines of what I was thinking.

Then again they may just waive Claeseon....

I don’t think pionk is very highly regarded league wide. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think good teams see him as a viable top 6 defenseman. His experience and lack there of make him less desirable as a depth guy as well. I think he’s in a big time prove it moment in his career. For the record this is the same view I have of him.

I don’t think pionk is very highly regarded league wide. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think good teams see him as a viable top 6 defenseman. His experience and lack there of make him less desirable as a depth guy as well. I think he’s in a big time prove it moment in his career. For the record this is the same view I have of him.

I agree with both of these since he's got all of 28 games NHL experience and was an undrafted free agent. However, among all of the young d-men that got serious playing time last year, he stood out and, barring a disastrous camp, should be penciled into our top 6. Hopefully he continues to grow like he did in the last 1/4 of the season last year.

Pionk's 3/4 of a season needs to be just a fluke. But to prove FatFrancesa's point, if he does not prove that he's got the viability, it will be very difficult for teams that are better than the Rangers to be looking for someone who is not a top-six defenseman. Getting McQuaid should help players like Pionk achieve in this endeavor to be the d-man we hyped him up to be

Pionk's 3/4 of a season needs to be just a fluke. But to prove FatFrancesa's point, if he does not prove that he's got the viability, it will be very difficult for teams that are better than the Rangers to be looking for someone who is not a top-six defenseman. Getting McQuaid should help players like Pionk achieve in this endeavor to be the d-man we hyped him up to be

:confused:

Not really sure what you're talking about with most of your post but Pionk isn't the type of guy that playoff teams are looking to add to improve their teams for the stretch run. McQuaid, the trusted veteran, is.

:confused:

Not really sure what you're talking about with most of your post but Pionk isn't the type of guy that playoff teams are looking to add to improve their teams for the stretch run. McQuaid, the trusted veteran, is.

Sorry about that. But Pioink is not the type of player teams will be looking for to fit into a top role. McQuaid is someone that can really improve how you play on the defensive side of the puck. Check McQuaid's film when he was in Boston. I remember seeing him at the AHL level in Providence.

LOVE this move, and can't understand how anyone could not. This a rebuild/learning year, and you want to teach the right values. This is a guy who doesn't take a shift off, sticks up for teammates, and plays the game the way it used to be played once upon a time. Considering the cost, there is nothing but benefit to this deal. This is EXACTLY the type of player they should be trying to add for their situation right now: low cost, high character, movable at the deadline, great example, temporary solution.

LOVE this move, and can't understand how anyone could not. This a rebuild/learning year, and you want to teach the right values. This is a guy who doesn't take a shift off, sticks up for teammates, and plays the game the way it used to be played once upon a time. Considering the cost, there is nothing but benefit to this deal. This is EXACTLY the type of player they should be trying to add for their situation right now: low cost, high character, movable at the deadline, great example, temporary solution.

I also like it, but you answered your own rhetorical question here.

Not seeing anyone here NOT liking the move. It certainly raises questions of who will be staying and who will be going and when...

You know I keep watching hockey hoping that those days would come back. Not the fighting but at least the idea that the goalie is untouchable and that cheap hits and dirty plays will be answered for. It’s as if rivalries don’t exist either anymore. Where is the hatred? Before there was a broad street bullies there was a league ripe to be taken advantage of with that kind of play. Intimidation was the name of the game. Of course those days are gone but someone will at some point build around size again and try to overpower their way to wins. And that’s not crazy. Ten or so years ago guys like Quinn Hughes are not a first round pick.

I think it is important to note that just 24 months ago Pionk was preparing for his senior season at Duluth. If I remember correctly, he didn't carry nearly the hype of a Vesey or Hayes but was, in fact, much more of a sleeper college signing. He not only pushed his way out of Hartford ahead of others, Pionk's P/GP actually improved in the NHL - at the same time playing D as credibly as anyone in the AV chamber of horrors system. So, I see a pretty strong rate of development and improvement that, at 23, there is no reason to think is complete. I totally agree that this is a pivotal camp for him and, who knows, he could peak tonight vs the Devils. But it doesn't seem to me that pigeonholing him as a completely formed player at this point does justice to how fast he has come along.

Archived