• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Weather Thread

GordonGecko

17 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Well....good news is the snow should be light Friday night-early Saturday, heavy snow rolls in during the day Saturday so roads would be a disaster Saturday afteroon-night. What's your shift?

In general, not much change in the models today. As is, that would lead to a major hit for Long Island, CT, RI, Mass. For NYC, NJ, Hudson Valley could break either way major vs. moderate/small event. Further west much less snow toward Pennsylvania, if any at all. Still like top end potential over 12".....maybe up toward 24" for the heaviest hit areas (again that'd be targeting parts of long Island and New England at this time)

Ahhh ok I didn't realize the heavier stuff would come in later Saturday.  As of now I am working 7am-3pm.  Was going to try to swap to a later shift to avoid waking up at 5am to clear myself out in time for work.  Might not have to if what you're saying holds up.  I might be better off staying where I am.  Thanks for the updates, Pars.

9 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ahhh ok I didn't realize the heavier stuff would come in later Saturday.  As of now I am working 7am-3pm.  Was going to try to swap to a later shift to avoid waking up at 5am to clear myself out in time for work.  Might not have to if what you're saying holds up.  I might be better off staying where I am.  Thanks for the updates, Pars.

No problem. Things likely deteoriate quickly Saturday, so be careful. Will have to watch the timing of this whole event closely because if things ramp up a few hours sooner that'd put you in a bad spot. Snow rates of 1-3 inches per hour would likely start up at some point Saturday morning and it'd go from bad to worse quickly. I'd think by late morning or midday it'd be a real miss (based on a blend of the models and the current timing). 

I'll have more updates late tonight or tomorrow morning.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Parsley said:

No problem. Things likely deteoriate quickly Saturday, so be careful. Will have to watch the timing of this whole event closely because if things ramp up a few hours sooner that'd put you in a bad spot. Snow rates of 1-3 inches per hour would likely start up at some point Saturday morning and it'd go from bad to worse quickly. I'd think by late morning or midday it'd be a real miss (based on a blend of the models and the current timing). 

I'll have more updates late tonight or tomorrow morning.

I have a 4WD truck so I'm not too worried about getting home from work.  I'm just a lazy shit and don't wanna get up extra early when I will already be working 3-11pm Friday night lol.

• LOL 1

Just a quick update before bed, late night models trending snowier (a bit further west Storm track) thus far. That’d bring substantial snow total threat into NYC and perhaps as far west as NJ. Long Island, CT and points East continue to be in the best spot for heaviest snow totals. 

We’ll see what the morning brings. I’d expect upgrades to winter storm warnings Friday morning by the National Weather Service. Again, brunt of the storm occurs during day Saturday. Ending early Saturday night. 

Models pretty consistent overnight. Winter Storm Warnings now issued for Long Island, CT, NYC and much of New Jersey. There still appears to be a dramatic cutoff in snow totals somewhere in NJ....perhaps the western part of the state. Either way light snow this afternoon and early tonight will quickily transtion to heavy snow overnight. How far west the heavy snow gets is still in question across NJ and the Hudson Valley. Saturday is the brunt of the storm before snow ends later in the day. Winds will be intense too, increasing and gusting 30-50 mph during the day on Saturday. Best chance for over a foot of snow remains across Long Island and CT. Can't rule it out though further west.

I'll have more updates later today.

There wil also be some precursor light snow today with an arctic front dropping through the area. This could leave be a coating to an inch of snow to areas, especially north and west of NYC during the day today. This is not tied directly into tonight-Saturday's storm. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Not much new to add at this point. Winners for highest snow totals will be east of NYC as has been expected all along. Bulk of the snow from the coastal storm occurs between 10pm Friday and 2pm Saturday. I say the toughest forcecast continues to be NJ and the Hudson Valley with a sharp cut off between several inches and something much more appreciable.  Long Island should see double digit snow totals, especially Suffolk Co. same goes for central and eastern CT.

35 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Not much new to add at this point. Winners for highest snow totals will be east of NYC as has been expected all along. Bulk of the snow from the coastal storm occurs between 10pm Friday and 2pm Saturday. I say the toughest forcecast continues to be NJ and the Hudson Valley with a sharp cut off between several inches and something much more appreciable.  Long Island should see double digit snow totals, especially Suffolk Co. same goes for central and eastern CT.

I should be allowed to infract for this kind of forecast. 

Angry He Man GIF

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I know it must be bad on Long Island when I get a text from my 72 year old mom at 4am ranting about snow and wind! Looks like many places definitely one pace for 12-24 inches of snow east of NYC by the time this is done. Further west, as I said yesterday a dramatic drop off with just a few inches out here in eastern PA.

It'll be interesting to hear snow totals out of NJ. Atleast shore locations appear to be getting hammered like Long Island. Much less just inland from the shore though it looks like. 

18 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Made it home last night and now back to work again in one piece.  Roads were barely plowed in some places.  Surprise surprise, Islip much better shape than Brookhaven.

Pretty bad in Islip compared to Nassau- so I guess Brookhaven is awful lol 

1 hour ago, Parsley said:

I know it must be bad on Long Island when I get a text from my 72 year old mom at 4am ranting about snow and wind! Looks like many places definitely one pace for 12-24 inches of snow east of NYC by the time this is done. Further west, as I said yesterday a dramatic drop off with just a few inches out here in eastern PA.

It'll be interesting to hear snow totals out of NJ. Atleast shore locations appear to be getting hammered like Long Island. Much less just inland from the shore though it looks like. 

We're probably around 4 right now.

• VINNY! 1

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

We're probably around 4 right now.

Thanks for the report.

Crazy. My parents have nearly a foot on Long Island already, probably going to see another foot there. You'll add on several more inches in NNJ today but going to miss the big totals. I see central Jersey Shore locations reporting 12-15 inches this morning too. 

31 minutes ago, siddious said:

Pretty bad in Islip compared to Nassau- so I guess Brookhaven is awful lol 

My street looked like it was plowed probably around midnight.  You can definitely tell is was plowed but there was plenty of snow cover still.  They also did their infamous one pass down one side of the street.  Its so annoying.  Wasn't as bad now that I have a pickup but when I had my little Subaru Impreza previously, although the AWD was great once it got going, it easily got stuck if there was enough of a buildup.  The cross street from my block was plowed perfectly fine.  The LIE WB service road was plowed, but again, it had definitely been a few hours.  Once I crossed over south of the LIE into Islip the roads were much better.  We'll see how everything looks when I get out of here at 3.  One thing for certain, I can't wait to get home and do some snowblowing lol.

Just now, Parsley said:

Thanks for the report.

Crazy. My parents have nearly a foot on Long Island already, probably going to see another foot there. You'll add on several more inches in NNJ today but going to miss the big totals. I see central Jersey Shore locations reporting 12-15 inches this morning too. 

Yea, I would guess we end up with around 8, 12 in the drifts? It's also the light fluffy stuff.

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

My street looked like it was plowed probably around midnight.  You can definitely tell is was plowed but there was plenty of snow cover still.  They also did their infamous one pass down one side of the street.  Its so annoying.  Wasn't as bad now that I have a pickup but when I had my little Subaru Impreza previously, although the AWD was great once it got going, it easily got stuck if there was enough of a buildup.  The cross street from my block was plowed perfectly fine.  The LIE WB service road was plowed, but again, it had definitely been a few hours.  Once I crossed over south of the LIE into Islip the roads were much better.  We'll see how everything looks when I get out of here at 3.  One thing for certain, I can't wait to get home and do some snowblowing lol.

Snowblew my whole driveway around 9am and it looks like I did nothing now.

Sunrise hwy side road was a shit show.