• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Weather Thread

GordonGecko

• 1 month later...

Threat increasing for direct impact from HENRI (sorry, no K on the end) over the weekend. Models shows a strong tropical storm or cat. 1 hurricane potentially making landfall somewhere between Long Island and Cape Cod, Mass. Sunday morning. Near and just west of landfall would be the greatest threat of major floods due to rain. Near and east of landfall is where the worst wind gusts, storm surge, coastal erosion and severe thunderstorm threats would be.

General trend has been for adjustments WEST in storm track which puts more of the tri-state area at risk. Lets hope a farther east landfall (or a miss off the coast) takes place as Henri approaches the coastline Sunday morning. If I was on Long Island, I'd definitely be taking this seriously at this point....just in case a worse scenario plays out (Gas up, food prep., etc).

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/092851.shtml?cone#contents

Threat increasing for direct impact from HENRI (sorry, no K on the end) over the weekend. Models shows a strong tropical storm or cat. 1 hurricane potentially making landfall somewhere between Long Island and Cape Cod, Mass. Sunday morning. Near and just west of landfall would be the greatest threat of major floods due to rain. Near and east of landfall is where the worst wind gusts, storm surge, coastal erosion and severe thunderstorm threats would be.

General trend has been for adjustments WEST in storm track which puts more of the tri-state area at risk. Lets hope a farther east landfall (or a miss off the coast) takes place as Henri approaches the coastline Sunday morning. If I was on Long Island, I'd definitely be taking this seriously at this point....just in case a worse scenario plays out (Gas up, food prep., etc).

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/092851.shtml?cone#contents

But is it coming to NJ is all I care about?

But is it coming to NJ is all I care about?

As of now the state of NJ would be on the west side of the storm (even on the furthest west storm tracks) so NJ's threat as of now would be heavy rain/flooding. If Henri takes a further east track (landfall near Cape Cod vs. Long Island) then NJ could miss out on just about everything.

Long story short, further west Henri comes higher the threat for major flooding due to rainfall in NJ. The cut off between flooding rain and basicially no rain could be sharp.

I'll be honest, I haven't been following these tropical threats closely this summer and I'm a bit caught off guard on how shitty this could be somewhere between NYC and Boston. Obviously, this is no CAT 4 hurricane but an assload of heavy rain and wind is not needed in the world right now in a highly populated area.

I'll be honest, I haven't been following these tropical threats closely this summer and I'm a bit caught off guard on how shitty this could be somewhere between NYC and Boston. Obviously, this is no CAT 4 hurricane but an assload of heavy rain and wind is not needed in the world right now in a highly populated area.
Seriously. And literally zero rain out West.

This is a big fear down here in America's flaccid, humid dong. The prospect of a few days of hurricane + the current state of covid is a real ugly mix.

Everything I'm seeing says this is hitting New England, so I'm going to put that thought out into the universe and it will manifest itself...Don't come to NJ, Henri!

Could be the case but I’d be proactive from NJ on east.

Gas Up and Have some food stocked in case things end up worse. All I see are storm tracks slowly nudging west with an increasing threat. Yes, I think cape cod, Rhode Island and much of southern New England is most at risk but it could easily spread west and be a big threat farther west.

This is a big fear down here in America's flaccid, humid dong. The prospect of a few days of hurricane + the current state of covid is a real ugly mix.

Exactly. Gas shortages, food panic x 1,000,000 in an ugly scenario. Again, I’m not being all doom and gloom I’d just be extra prepared in the current state of things.

Looks like it will make landfall Sunday morning as a Category 1 hurricane on eastern LI -Hamptons, Amagansett. Problem is that will coincide with a high tide cycle on the day of the "full moon" tide, which would be higher than usual anyway. That was exactly the problem with Sandy in 2012, though that was a much bigger storm. Creates for conditions for a significant storm surge there and probably into CT, RI and MA coasts .

North Eastern Long Island, should I be concerned?

Suffolk County would see the worst of it based on predicted track as of now. Evening models have shifted a smidge east (which is good). That'd keep the worst of surge and winds out over extreme eastern LI out toward Cape Cod. Still near and just west of the track there could me massive amounts of rain as the storm could be a slow mover on Sunday. That major rain could target much of Long Island and CT. NYC/NJ could be on tightrope between flooding and very little rain. All depends on eventual track.

• Like 1

Morning update, not much change. On a good note all western trends on track (near or over NYC) have ceased on the models. Increasingly likelihood of a landfall over extreme eastern Long Island/coastal Rhode Island or near Cape Cod.

What that means, still a heavy rain threat for all of Long Island, CT, NJ and the Hudson Valley due to the slow motion of the tropical system. Wind threat would be highest in Suffolk Co. with gusts in excess of 50 mph possible. This all hinges on a track EAST of higher populated areas in the tri-state area. I'm still concerned about very heavy rain totals 5-10 inches...maybe more near and just north/west of the storm track. Again, sometime crazy tropical rain bands set up oddly far removed from the center of the storm.

If the track forecasts nudge back west today then more people would be under the gun for high winds along with heavy rain. So, lets hope this guy passes east of Montauk on Sunday.

Great. Lol. If I have to bunk with Ozzy, my liver might not survive very long

It's supposed to hit Sayville, and Patchogue.

That reminds me, I gotta get out and stock up.....On BOOZE!!!

Now's my chance, everyone's at the fucking gas station!! :rofl: