• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018 NHL Entry Draft – Movin' On Up into the Top-Five – Live Discussion

Drew a Penalty

RHD Joey Keane (Barrie, OHL): Team USA’s best defender from their silver-medal-winning squad at the 2016 U18 Ivan Hlinka has bounced back from a rough rookie season in a big way, as he’s among the OHL’s top-scoring rearguards. Keane is a fluid skater with excellent vision and has significantly improved his decision making and reads.

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/rankings/2018-nhl-draft-rankings-top-250-overagers/

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RHD Joey Keane (Barrie, OHL): Team USA’s best defender from their silver-medal-winning squad at the 2016 U18 Ivan Hlinka has bounced back from a rough rookie season in a big way, as he’s among the OHL’s top-scoring rearguards. Keane is a fluid skater with excellent vision and has significantly improved his decision making and reads.

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/rankings/2018-nhl-draft-rankings-top-250-overagers/

Any relation to Mike?

Worth noting that this organization has produced exactly two NHLers since 2013: Duclair and Buchnevich. That's why when they go off the board because they know better, I'm not so sure they do.

I'll maintain my position that constantly trading 1st round picks for the "one last piece" for a Cup is an unsustainable and horrible strategy. And I'll continue to say that, despite where you are in the standings, in today's NHL if you have a chance to shed salary and ship off an older player for future assets, you do it. That's how you're good constantly, instead of burning bright, flaring out, and being left to pick up the pieces with nothing to show for it.

That said, I don't trust us to do it right. I still think it's the way to go, but I don't think we know how to do it. I think we're going to languish in purgatory for the foreseeable future.

Pick 101

Nico Gross

Solid defender who has some two way ability. Has concentrated on the defensive end in the OHL. Looked good on the Swiss U-20 team in the World Juniors, but don't expect much up ice push.

--Bill Plazcek--

Worth noting that this organization has produced exactly two NHLers since 2013: Duclair and Buchnevich. That's why when they go off the board because they know better, I'm not so sure they do.

I'll maintain my position that constantly trading 1st round picks for the "one last piece" for a Cup is an unsustainable and horrible strategy. And I'll continue to say that, despite where you are in the standings, in today's NHL if you have a chance to shed salary and ship off an older player for future assets, you do it. That's how you're good constantly, instead of burning bright, flaring out, and being left to pick up the pieces with nothing to show for it.

That said, I don't trust us to do it right. I still think it's the way to go, but I don't think we know how to do it. I think we're going to languish in purgatory for the foreseeable future.

What do you think the league average is?

They also had no 1st round picks over that span until 2017 and Shestyorkin, Saarela, Huska, Wall, Ronning, Gettinger and Day (2014-2016) still have NHL potential.

See new news! Thread just started in the Rangers section. It should make you feel better.

And I'll continue to say that, despite where you are in the standings, in today's NHL if you have a chance to shed salary and ship off an older player for future assets, you do it.

Looks like Calgary took that to heart. They wanted back into the 1st round or even the 2nd. They offered Brodie, talked to teams about Hamonic. Nobody wants em. Everybody wanted Fox, Valimaki and Andersson. They decided to keep the excess youth anyway. Told teams the kids are not on the market. Fabbro, not on the market. Serg and Foote, were not on the market. This is why we drafted and traded for all these young Dmen.

I’ve yet to see a single trustworthy journo or insider calling the Kravtsov pick a reach or criticising it.

Why is there such a need to do it in here?

Rangers fans had their hearts set on Wahlstrom.

Rookie of the year in the KHL

3rd best ever points haul by an U-20 in the KHL playoffs, only beaten by Malkin and Afinogenov

Has been playing against men in the 2nd best league in the world

It’s a really exciting pick and as I said, I can’t see anyone worth listening to saying otherwise.

Well that will do it.

So, I wanted to explore this further. Looked at the players taken from 2013 selected 40th overall (Rangers best pick was 41st) or later who have played at least 40 NHL games so far.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=1&report=bios&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20132014&seasonTo=20172018&gameType=2&draftPickFrom=40&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,40&filter=playerDraftYear,gte,2013&optionDraftPickMin=1&optionDraftPickMax=291&sort=gamesPlayed

Looks like 44 players total. So less than 2 players per team on average.

Duclair (4th most games played) and Buchnevich (16th most games played) in the group.

Rookie of the year in the KHL

3rd best ever points haul by an U-20 in the KHL playoffs, only beaten by Malkin and Afinogenov

Has been playing against men in the 2nd best league in the world

It’s a really exciting pick and as I said, I can’t see anyone worth listening to saying otherwise.

Then why ask? Nobody’s opinion on here matters to you as they are not worth listening to.

The prospect is fine. What’s not to me is that this organization always ALWAYS goes off the board to draft their players. Their resume though frankly sucks. Gordie Clarke has had zero expectations because the gm has always left him with no high picks. Yet when he does get one he passes on a bushel of stars who were obvious entities at their draft to take somebody that the rest of the league likes but not nearly as much as what they pass on. If they had any success other than providing humor for the league in doing this every time they pick in the top of the draft you could be excited about this pick.

Maybe this kid proves them right. But at the same time maybe wahlstrom, Bouchard and Dobson prove them to be what we already know then as. Fucking morons who have to try and prove they have a clue. Fact is the I can draft better with my copy of the draft preview from hockey news than these clowns

Then why ask? Nobody’s opinion on here matters to you as they are not worth listening to.

The prospect is fine. What’s not to me is that this organization always ALWAYS goes off the board to draft their players. Their resume though frankly sucks. Gordie Clarke has had zero expectations because the gm has always left him with no high picks. Yet when he does get one he passes on a bushel of stars who were obvious entities at their draft to take somebody that the rest of the league likes but not nearly as much as what they pass on. If they had any success other than providing humor for the league in doing this every time they pick in the top of the draft you could be excited about this pick.

Maybe this kid proves them right. But at the same time maybe wahlstrom, Bouchard and Dobson prove them to be what we already know then as. Fucking morons who have to try and prove they have a clue. Fact is the I can draft better with my copy of the draft preview from hockey news than these clowns

Can you tell me where to find the Hockey News draft preview? I can't seem to find it.

What do yo guys think of the Dougie Hamilton, Adam Fox, Ferland for Lindholm &Hanafin deal

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

LMAO, I thought Fox wasn't available nor was Hamilton? If Carolina can sign Fox, it's a steal. Might be a steal even without him.

I hope the Rangers gave some kind of in on a RHD. Fox sounded like a decent get from what was said here. I'd imagine he'd sign here with such an opportunity being available. I'd have liked the Rangers to have interest on all players involved in this trade. Maybe not Ferland so much.

It’s not that I don’t care what people think. I’m trying to understand why they think it’s a bad pick.

As I said, Pronman, TSN, Eliotte - everybody thinks it’s a good pick. And I’m not hearing any strong arguments apart from WAHLSTROM. A kid who’s scored loads of goals playing alongside a generational talent playing against inferior kids, whereas the Rangers pick has been playing against men. Time will tell who got it right, but I’m really not sure what people are basing this reaction on apart from history.

I was as surprised as everybody else. But the rankings went out the window very early. And the big difference this year is that nobody you’d normally listen to seems to think we were reaching this time.

Edit to say that sounds unnecessarily harsh on Wahlstrom, I think he’s a great pick.

Archived