• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018 NHL Entry Draft – Movin' On Up into the Top-Five – Live Discussion

Drew a Penalty

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Giant Big Picture step back-Kratsov may be a very good player.

Problem is smells like AGAIN the Clarke/Gorton braintrust as scouts fell in love with a guy without considering either the team's glaring need for goal scoring, nor that they might have gotten him later anyway. And something very practical; Whalstrom would be be here in 5 minutes. Yes, Kravstov is saying all the right things but you don't know. Like you don't know with Shestorkin, or how it's taken Buch, a talented player, some time to adopt. You can talk about Kuznetsov or Bure or which ever Russian forward you want, which sounds a lot like what they're doing right now. What if his upside is say, Ruslan Fedetenko or any number of decent servicable pros?

Looks like groupthink, they talked themselves into this pick . Because a team this desperate for goal scoring really has to do that to not take Whalstrom.

While I really like the Miller pick, don't like that BPA always seems to be a 2 way forward or a D rather than a guy who can score. Which is how you end up trading away assets for the likes of Gaborik, Nash and St. Louis. Are guys who can score goals NEVER the BPA? Is there some inherent bias in the NYR evaluation process going on here?

On the timing aspect, Wahlstrom is going to college and Kravtsov will be here next season at the latest.

Maybe b/c they went based on need over best player available. All 3 mentioned took Defensemen.

Could be. At the end of the day though, Wahlstrom falling into the Islanders lap wasn’t because the Rangers passed on him, it was because none of the first 10 to pick wanted him. Maybe that tells you something, maybe it doesn’t.

I wanted Wahlstrom, but after reading what people have to say about Kravtsov I feel really good about that pick. Certainly no need to paint it as a reach or a massive fuck up.

On the timing aspect, Wahlstrom is going to college and Kravtsov will be here next season at the latest.

I get that. But an American college kid or Canadian junior (which plausibly some Euros have done but Kravstov will not) is going to adjust quicker. That's simply a reality. Should that not tip things in favor of North American players. all else being equal? Though Clarke said Kravstov was their #2 forward.

We see a power play year after year that passes the puck around the perimeter forever, every offensive possession featuring pass after pass after pass until there's often one too many, practically screaming for someone, anyone to shoot, and they do this. And opposing teams have scouted this and know as much.May be Quinn will be different? What does this franchise have against a guy who what ever his flaws takes shots and scores goals? And really this is not the 1970s where some goal scorers hang at the red line and barely pretend to defend. Everybody plays some defense.

I get that. But an American college kid or Canadian junior (which plausibly some Euros have done but Kravstov will not) is going to adjust quicker. That's simply a reality. Should that not tip things in favor of North American players. all else being equal? Though Clarke said Kravstov was their #2 forward.

We see a power play year after year that passes the puck around the perimeter forever, every offensive possession featuring pass after pass after pass until there's often one too many, practically screaming for someone, anyone to shoot, and they do this. And opposing teams have scouted this and know as much.May be Quinn will be different? What does this franchise have against a guy who what ever his flaws takes shots and scores goals? And really this is not the 1970s where some goal scorers hang at the red line and barely pretend to defend. Everybody plays some defense.

I don’t know. I couldn’t believe they passed on Wahlstrom at the time.

Maybe they saw a kid who’s already playing against pros, who ended the season as a top 6 player for a final 4 team in the second best league in the world. A kid with tremendous upside who’s already proved he can do it at a high level.

So did several other teams.

If he?s such a no brainer why did Vancouver, Chicago and Edmonton leave him on the board?

I never saw Chicago taking him.

I don't know about Vancouver. Probably has something to do with all the other teams going off board early and then winding up with a player they didn't think they had a shot at earlier. Or maybe they wanted a defenseman.

I this draft I don't really agree. Lots of level talent back there.
I think there were groups of players with similar value. Where those divisions shifted is up for debate.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The top ten got screwed up because both the hsbs and coyotes drafted by need and took centers that nobody ever dreamed would go in the top 5. Once that happened it pushed everyone down. That was great as a ranger fan knowing we would have a choice between 2 to 3 of the consensus studs. Little did we know it made no difference of having been handed such fortune. We were drafting our guy at pick 3.

Far as I can tell being a weatherman isn’t the easiest job in the world. Being a ny ranger scout is. You can be right 5% of the time and be considered an expert. Meanwhile anyone can read all kind of media and make good picks in the first two rounds

As per joe Fortunato rangers had Gropp as the 6th best forward of the 2015 draft. Go back and look at just the first two rounds of that draft and the forwards drafted.

The Rangers had their heads so far up their asses that offseason and the days leading up to the draft, that Sather finally handed over the reins. Someone should ask Gordie and Gorton about that comment and how they look at that info today. If they rerank and see where there scouts are getting it wrong.

That statement indicates such malpractice that if they truly meant forwards, not wingers, then we need to overhaul scouting entirely.

They should go player by player and find out why we suck so fucking much.

McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Marner, Zacha, Meier, Rantanen, DeBrusk, Barzal, Connor, Ek, White, Boeser, Koencney, Rosovic, Beauvillier, Aho

This is criminal malpractice. No wonder our educated tough beat writers were asking hard questions to mgmt, about their most important job of bringing talent into the org.

But with that history how can anyone have a problem with someone having concerns with what seems to be another draft where the rangers are alone in comparables on the top forwards in this draft. I do think Kravtsov is a great prospect but at 9 and choice of a bevy of great prospects that’s not enough. One of these years we need to be the team that takes the right player. If the right player happens to be the obvious ones like Dobson or wahlstrom it’s just history repeating itself.

What are you talking about? There were no "obvious ones". There was no standard ranking of any players from 3-15. Teams, experts, and scouts had guys all over the place. If you dont believe me, you can look at the draft results.

But with that history how can anyone have a problem with someone having concerns with what seems to be another draft where the rangers are alone in comparables on the top forwards in this draft. I do think Kravtsov is a great prospect but at 9 and choice of a bevy of great prospects that’s not enough. One of these years we need to be the team that takes the right player. If the right player happens to be the obvious ones like Dobson or wahlstrom it’s just history repeating itself.

That may or may not be a true statement. We have not seen the draft boards of the other 30 teams.

We saw 10 teams pass on those "obvious ones".

Hell, I'll be generous and say 8 teams.

You figure, if those guys were that high on any teams list, they would have been calling every team after Svechnikov went 2nd overall in hopes to move up and get one of them.

What are you talking about? There were no "obvious ones". There was no standard ranking of any players from 3-15. Teams, experts, and scouts had guys all over the place. If you dont believe me, you can look at the draft results.

This.

Bob McKenzie was in the Twilight Zone by pick 5. Literally nothing was happening in line with his board.

The draft is a crapshoot. We don't know what Kravtsov would've done if he played in juniors. Let's wait to see both players play before grading this draft.

After the first round, and especially the top-10, sure. The guys taken really early, though, are more often locks than not.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Could be. At the end of the day though, Wahlstrom falling into the Islanders lap wasn?t because the Rangers passed on him, it was because none of the first 10 to pick wanted him. Maybe that tells you something, maybe it doesn?t.

I wanted Wahlstrom, but after reading what people have to say about Kravtsov I feel really good about that pick. Certainly no need to paint it as a reach or a massive fuck up.

Orrrrrr the players picked from 1 though 7 were amazing prospects that are supposed to be can't miss and pretty much picked where they should have been picked?

I'm not going to shit on the pick anymore. Obviously some people here have resources that give better outlooks than what is available via the typical Google search (not me).. Apparently this kid has more potential than what we have read. I guess it's more about the name recognition, and how much it was discussed on here about Wahlstrom hopefully falling to the Rangers.

We'll just have to wait and see.

By next season do you mean in 3 months?

And even with that, we have no idea when he will be here

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The argument was that Wahlstrom would be available to the organisation sooner and that picking a Russian is a risk because you don’t know how long it might take to get him over here. That is incorrect, as Kravtsov has only one year left on his contract and Wahlstrom will spend at least one year in college.

They are currently debating whether Kravtsov should come over straight away or play out his final year in Russia, so worst case scenario is he joins next summer, which is the best case scenario for Wahlstrom.

Whether he makes the roster or goes to Hartford remains to be seen, but bashing the pick based on when the two players would be available to the organisation is simply wrong.

Archived