• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

David Quinn Officially Named Rangers' Head Coach

Phil

i fully get the idea of trading away prospects for that 1 or 2 guys that will get you over the hump. My argument is that we had to trade away future picks to get this done because due to our terrible draft history and pick management our AHL cubbard was/still is? essentially bare.

Current signs point to Gorton trying to address this. I hope he stays on course. Playing in MSG and for an original 6 team will always give us a fair share of getting the big ticket FA's. All I'm saying is it would be nice to have an interchangeable flock of players in the AHL that can be brought up or laid down for a high end player.

There is no downside for being successful in the draft.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i fully get the idea of trading away prospects for that 1 or 2 guys that will get you over the hump. My argument is that we had to trade away future picks to get this done because due to our terrible draft history and pick management our AHL cubbard was/still is? essentially bare.

Current signs point to Gorton trying to address this. I hope he stays on course. Playing in MSG and for an original 6 team will always give us a fair share of getting the big ticket FA's. All I'm saying is it would be nice to have an interchangeable flock of players in the AHL that can be brought up or laid down for a high end player.

Except our draft history wasn't terrible. Those ranger teams that made the playoffs for 11 out of 12 years were built on draft picks. Hank, Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal, Anisimov, Hagelin, Del Zotto, Stepan, Kreider, Fast, Miller. These guys were all at one time or another part of the core or traded for a new piece, and those Rangers teams were just as successful as anyone outside of the Pens, Kings, and Blackhawks.

I wonder why Brooks is dated 5/22 12:22 pm updated 5:24 pm

versus Blueshirt Banter which was May 23, 2018, 2:01pm EDT

Musta missed it?

https://nypost.com/2018/05/22/rangers-know-when-david-quinn-will-officially-take-over/

This part I am a fan of ...

Three years ago, Quinn gave an interview to Terrier Hockey Fan Blog in which he discussed his coaching philosophy.

“One of the things we stress is a puck-possession game,” he said. “We want to carry the puck into the offensive zone and attack with speed. We need our defensemen to be involved in the attack. If you’re going to create offense, you need all five guys involved.”

Which means they didn't draft the right roster....it doesn't matter if they drafted good players or not. The point is that their team is driven by trade acquisitions.

My man, you are being silly. Of course it matters if they drafted good players. You don't pass up Seth Jones to fill a need with a lower graded player. Horrid approach and gets you McIlrath. This is exactly what I don't want the Rangers to do. Just take Seth Jones and figure it out later.

BTW, Nashville's success is not driven by trade acquisitions. Weber, Jones, Yosi, Ellis, Ekholm, and now Fabbro were all drafted by the Preds. Nashville has drafted well and it has played a significant role in their success, of late. That is the primary point I am trying to make.

And Nashville hasn't won a Cup or done anything that the Rangers didn't under AV, so I don't really know why we're trying to use them as some barometer.

I do not judge good drafting by how many Cups were won. Nor was I comparing them to the Rangers, or using them as a barometer. I think we should forget barometers, formulas and magic secrets. There is no secret sauce, which was kinda my other point. Basically it takes a confluence of things to win it all, but nothing substitutes for the fundamentals. One is top talent and solid supporting talent. The best way to build and maintain your talent base in a cap world is the draft. That simple. Doesn't mean you never trade a 1st for a rental, but the more you do it, the more you deplete your young talent base.

Not the same team? Did all of the Thrashers assets get lost during the move? It was the Thrashers that traded for Wheeler and Byfuglien. Thrashers drafted Bryan Little. They drafted Bogosian and Kane who were traded for three of their current roster players. And in the 7 years since the move they have picked 7, 9, 13, 9, 17, and 2. Good for them for fielding a competitive team one time out of 7 years. And they traded this years first for Stastny. They'll probably trade next years first at the dead line too.

My point about the Jets was not broad either. Cheveldayoff is not deserving of criticism, every GM acquires talent when they take over or they get an expansion draft. He has done fine since taking over and they are set up to compete for years because he has drafted well. Yes some of the picks were good, but they also maximized many of their selections. They haven't won anything yet, but I never implied they did. Just that the GM has built a team that is currently strong and looks to compete at the highest levels going forward.

^This. Good points, but the last one is the kicker. Good drafts, particular this year and next could make all the difference in the world, in the Ranger's next ten years. Draft really well and that is half the battle.

My man, you are being silly. Of course it matters if they drafted good players. You don't pass up Seth Jones to fill a need with a lower graded player. Horrid approach and gets you McIlrath. This is exactly what I don't want the Rangers to do. Just take Seth Jones and figure it out later.

BTW, Nashville's success is not driven by trade acquisitions. Weber, Jones, Yosi, Ellis, Ekholm, and now Fabbro were all drafted by the Preds. Nashville has drafted well and it has played a significant role in their success, of late. That is the primary point I am trying to make.

I do not judge good drafting by how many Cups were won. Nor was I comparing them to the Rangers, or using them as a barometer. I think we should forget barometers, formulas and magic secrets. There is no secret sauce, which was kinda my other point. Basically it takes a confluence of things to win it all, but nothing substitutes for the fundamentals. One is top talent and solid supporting talent. The best way to build and maintain your talent base in a cap world is the draft. That simple. Doesn't mean you never trade a 1st for a rental, but the more you do it, the more you deplete your young talent base.

No it doesn't. It matters that they moved those players for more important players. I agree with taking BPA, never said they shouldn't have taken Jones, but by overloading on D, they pushed themselves into needing to make a trade. So they didn't just build through the draft, they build through trade.

I don't care about Fabbro, he hasn't played a single NHL game and doesn't factor into this conversation. Yes, drafting well has played a role in their success. Trading well has been even more important.

You did use them as a barometer, along with WAS, TB, and WPG. And my OP was in response to the idea that Nashville is a "perennial power."

Archived