• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

David Quinn Officially Named Rangers' Head Coach

Phil

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ha, I knew you were gonna say that. Frankly, there are some drills and skills that need to be practiced whether it is at the highest or lowest levels.

As for Quinn's practices and teachings, his players say he really focuses on effective skill development drills. What do I know, I'm not there. Maybe there are some youtube vids of his practices, but I got work to do.

Drills don’t change much from Bantam to the NHL. They’re all similar just with different variations here and there.

I don’t disagree with your feelings at all, but you never know until you try, so I hope he grabs it quick.

Like I said, I don't know anything about him other than what's hear. It's not making me feel warm and fuzzy.

Drills don’t change much from Bantam to the NHL. They’re all similar just with different variations here and there.

Exactly. I deleted a similar sentence assuming those of us who played many years of sports have experienced this. We always groaned about certain drills that never seemed to go away. Most fundamentals don't change, but you know this.

Vodka, who are you referring to regarding hockey 101? I hope it is me, because the rest of the board may not be as fluent as you about practices, coaching, and X's and O's etc. Assuming it is me, you know some drills are similar throughout the years and it is the variations or the coach trying to make it interesting that often differs. Then you get Fred Shero. Or whoever. Some of the coaches coming up are not from the old guard and may, god forbid, bring new twists and ideas to coaching. Especially when given a young roster filled with 1st and 2nd year players and the mandate to develop them into a winner.

I think it's fine. I also wanted Keefe, but c'est la vie. I don't think, despite their representations to the media, that the organization has any legitimate expectation of being a playoff team next season. If they're looking to bring in a guy to get fresh NHL players in to their comfort zone while they adapt to the game, and then maybe 2-3 years from now you bring in someone else, it's all part of the process.

I have no objection to focusing on grooming young talent vs being the next Scotty Bowman. We just need to have patience as a fanbase, which is admittedly a tall order at the World's Most Famous Arena. I'm happy to see at least that the organization has committed wholesale to the long-term development of a contender.

Bottom line: if on the 1-10 scale Keefe would've been a 9, this is a 6.5 - 7.0 for me. Might not be the perfect scenario, but it's definitely not a BAD choice. Plus, I'm interested to see if GMJG has brains to back up that enormous head of his. He's out from under Sather's boot for the most part. If this is part of some master plan we're not privy to, I'm interested to see how it pans out.

The game has changed in many forms over time. There are a lot more younger players entering the league than in years past, even goaltenders. These kids are so dynamic that they put them in the show and leave it up to the coach to develop them on the fly, which isn’t really fair at this level to either party. The player might need another year or 2 learning things that a head coach in the NHL that’s trying to win games and keep his job is expected to “develop” him. We’ve had this happen right in front of our faces with Kreider, Miller, and Zuc just to name a few. But it was Torts and AV’s fault, right? Look at the results of those 3 being sent down to develop, regardless of anyone’s personal opinion, they’ve all turned into pretty good NHL players. So who ended up being right, Torts & AV or the idiot fans cursing them for not “playing the kids”. The kids played this year. How’d you like them apples?

The only thing that worries me with Quin is his lack of professional experience behind the bench. Its been a while since he had anything to do with the AHL, and the game has changed a lot since he was in the A. As Mike said, his job isn't to develop players, its to get them to play to their potential at the highest level. I hope he works out, but as someone else stated, this deal is too long for a guy that has a lot to prove in the NHL.

The only thing that worries me with Quin is his lack of professional experience behind the bench. Its been a while since he had anything to do with the AHL, and the game has changed a lot since he was in the A. As Mike said, his job isn't to develop players, its to get them to play to their potential at the highest level. I hope he works out, but as someone else stated, this deal is too long for a guy that has a lot to prove in the NHL.

Or maybe the FO is giving him next year as a throw away to develop some guys, which will be a huge mistake if done intentionally. You’ll have a hard time convincing a Tavares or Kovalchuk to come here to sit through a year or possibly more of that shit. Tavares has been doing that his whole NHL career. Might as well stay in LI.

Or maybe the FO is giving him next year as a throw away to develop some guys, which will be a huge mistake if done intentionally. You’ll have a hard time convincing a Tavares or Kovalchuk to come here to sit through a year or possibly more of that shit. Tavares has been doing that his whole NHL career. Might as well stay in LI.

Totally agree. Your not going to be able to bring in that high level UFA on a total rebuild and a coach learning the league.

Ne'er do well college player, edges of the AHL as defenseman, AHL coach and NHL assistant, ties to USA hockey and then college coach. Sounds a lot like Peter Laviolette. And really if he was on the market, he would be the guy.

Recruitment in the sense you can get players to buy into what you're doing shouldn't be discounted. Somewhat concerning that he never won a Frozen 4, but this guy is in demand. Wait and see. Little hard to damn him before his first practice much less games that matter.

Ne'er do well college player, edges of the AHL as defenseman, AHL coach and NHL assistant, ties to USA hockey and then college coach. Sounds a lot like Peter Laviolette. And really if he was on the market, he would be the guy.

Recruitment in the sense you can get players to buy into what you're doing shouldn't be discounted. Somewhat concerning that he never won a Frozen 4, but this guy is in demand. Wait and see. Little hard to damn him before his first practice much less games that matter.

All NHL coaches have similar resum?s as far as their playing and coaching career levels. No one is discrediting what he’s done. Plenty of guys out there would cut a finger off for those accomplishments. It’s just a discussion on what to expect.

I think he was interviewed for the hc job and that’s why he wasn’t fired with the rest of the staff. Unless they want him here as an associate coach, he’ll probably get fired after a hc is officially named.

Archived