• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

David Quinn Officially Named Rangers' Head Coach

Phil

He might. What I'm saying is whoever he signs with, especially a team like the Rangers who could very credibly miss the playoffs in both years he's likely to be under contract for, having trade protection is smart. It allows him to help assure he lands with a contender and not a bubble team.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The point of the NTC is to assure he lands with a contender, not a pretender, should things not work out with the Rangers. It makes plenty of sense.

But it doesn't.

At the deadline his choices will be:

Rangers giving up and not in the playoffs...therefore selling.

Pretender

Contender

The second 2 are better than the first. So really no point in blocking a trade. So no point in an NTC.

But assuming that's not on the table, or plausible, I have little to no issue with signing him to a two-year deal to bring along the rebuild. He's actually a fantastic player to have in that role IMO. His injection into the Devils lineup when they got him dramatically improved their fortunes.

They did worse the year he arrived at the deadline, then WAY worse in 10-11 where they were last in goals scored and finished with 81 points, then went to the Cup final in 11-12, and were bad in 12-13.

The difference was that Parise was out for the season in 10-11 and left before 12-13. Kovy, good as he was in 11-12, wasn't the difference maker for them, it was Parise. Kovy's too talented to call a product of anyone, but he was only ever a ppg player with Parise.

• 2 weeks later...
So I finally got around to watching the press conference. Man this guy is annoying to listen to talk. "I'm happy to be here, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's gonna be a battle getting back in contention, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, my ass is itchy, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, let's go Rangers, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Meh. Not excited about any names on there. Maybe Richards or MSL, although I don't think it would be a good idea to put a guy with no experience at all on the bench as an assistant with a first time NHL coach. Or maybe you do? Fresh start for everyone?

Maybe Gr?nborg is a good fit? Seems to have a bit of experience.

What about some of the names that were supposed to be in consideration for the HC job? Rick Bennett and all those names?

I don't know. I figured the coaching staff would be in place by now. Maybe it's not as important as I thought.

Archived