• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

David Quinn Officially Named Rangers' Head Coach

Phil

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No it doesn't. It matters that they moved those players for more important players. I agree with taking BPA, never said they shouldn't have taken Jones, but by overloading on D, they pushed themselves into needing to make a trade. So they didn't just build through the draft, they build through trade.

I don't care about Fabbro, he hasn't played a single NHL game and doesn't factor into this conversation. Yes, drafting well has played a role in their success. Trading well has been even more important.

You did use them as a barometer, along with WAS, TB, and WPG. And my OP was in response to the idea that Nashville is a "perennial power."

My message is getting mixed up with yours. I used those teams as a barometer for the value of drafting well consistently. My point is specifically about the critical nature of the draft to rebuild and even maintain a winner in the cap era. I appreciate your OP is in response to Nashville as a perennial power.

We disagree on the idea that trading was even more important. I'm right for one simple reason. ;) Without drafting Jones and the other Dmen you don't have the ammo to get a #1 C, w/o creating a new hole.

That Nashville was able to draft (and been right) on all of those Dmen, gave them the quantity and quality of assets to get PK and RyJo in return. They not only didn't deplete their blueline, it remains among the best in the NHL. Think of it this way, even a weak GM can easily get a terrific return for a 22 y/o Seth Jones. If your drafting is so strong that Seth Jones is surplus, you've done the heavy lifting. Executing a very good trade with A+ assets at your disposal is easy in comparison.

BTW, Fabbro is only relevant because Nashville is drafting well and he is now in position to backfill their D with more quality. BTW, this past year with the 30th pick they took Tolvanen. In a redraft, even this soon, he is easily in the top 10. In one year he is already a better prospect than Lias, taken #7.

dolan's quote

“I am very pleased to welcome David Quinn to the New York Rangers,” Garden chairman James Dolan said in a statement. “David brings a diverse and successful coaching resume that includes extensive work in developing young talent. I am confident he is an excellent fit for our team, and know he will work tirelessly with [President] Glen [sather], [GM] Jeff [Gorton] and our entire organization to execute our plan to build the next Rangers Stanley Cup contending team.”

Funny he doesn't say Stanley cup championship team. Basically all you need to know about the lucky sperm boy.

dolan's quote

“I am very pleased to welcome David Quinn to the New York Rangers,” Garden chairman James Dolan said in a statement. “David brings a diverse and successful coaching resume that includes extensive work in developing young talent. I am confident he is an excellent fit for our team, and know he will work tirelessly with [President] Glen [sather], [GM] Jeff [Gorton] and our entire organization to execute our plan to build the next Rangers Stanley Cup contending team.”

Funny he doesn't say Stanley cup championship team. Basically all you need to know about the lucky sperm boy.

I don't get it. u're saying dolan doesn't want to win the cup?

dolan's quote

I, too, noticed, and thought the word choice was a bit strange.

dolan's quote

I think you're just reading way too far into it. Of course he wants to win. I'm sure he wants to be the Yankees of hockey. You don't say that on the first day of your new coach's career.

Instead you'd make a promise you couldn't guarantee?

I don't get the uproar.

Are we not building a competitor, eventually?

Is this not what we're doing? Is that not the goal?

Conversely, even if it's the goal, must we set unnecessarily high standards and guarantee victory? Is guaranteeing even possible with the most elite of experts/management?

Fans, man.

Sounds smart. Calm. In hearing him talk about practice it?s gonna be a massive change for some guys who have been in the NHL for a while.
Yeah I can't wait for him to teach Staal about stick position...

Yeah I can't wait for him to teach Staal about stick position...

Well, Staal is actually the one guy who said they needed more of this kind of thing in practice while AV was still here so...

I'm not talking about that stuff, I'm talking about having uptempo practice with attention to detail. Treating it like a game. AV did more video than on-ice work and gave more days off than anyone I can remember. Big time difference between coaching a vet and coaching a 20 year old kid. Hopefully the vets they keep around are the ones that understand going back to basics.

Well, Staal is actually the one guy who said they needed more of this kind of thing in practice while AV was still here so...

I'm not talking about that stuff, I'm talking about having uptempo practice with attention to detail. Treating it like a game. AV did more video than on-ice work and gave more days off than anyone I can remember. Big time difference between coaching a vet and coaching a 20 year old kid. Hopefully the vets they keep around are the ones that understand going back to basics.

I was being sarcastic but I agree with you.

Sounds smart. Calm. In hearing him talk about practice it?s gonna be a massive change for some guys who have been in the NHL for a while.

I have to agree. He said some good things in there, and I like that he has a relationship already with some of the guys. I think if he brings in the right assistants, he may be good here. He was quick on his feet when asked some questions, so while I?m a little apprehensive about him not having any real experience, I am excited to see what he can do here. Biggest question going forward is what this roster will look like. I?m excited to see what he can bring out if a guy like Kreider with him being at an important stage in his career in getting set to move to the next level of his career as well, and having that BU background between them, it sure if they worked together when CK was there, might be beneficial to CK.

Hopefully we will finally have a coach who practices the PP as well.

I have to agree. He said some good things in there, and I like that he has a relationship already with some of the guys. I think if he brings in the right assistants, he may be good here. He was quick on his feet when asked some questions, so while I?m a little apprehensive about him not having any real experience, I am excited to see what he can do here. Biggest question going forward is what this roster will look like. I?m excited to see what he can bring out if a guy like Kreider with him being at an important stage in his career in getting set to move to the next level of his career as well, and having that BU background between them, it sure if they worked together when CK was there, might be beneficial to CK.
Hayes and Kreider went to BC. Quinn was an assistant at BU while Shatty was there.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived