• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

David Quinn Officially Named Rangers' Head Coach

Phil

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I finally got around to watching the press conference, am I the only one who is optimistic that they are going to properly rebuild this rather doing it on the fly?

Not at all. His hire, period, is as strong a signal of their dedication as they could make. Especially given the term.

There will be "on the fly" aspects, like entertaining Kovalchuk, but none should undercut the direction they're heading.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Not at all. His hire, period, is as strong a signal of their dedication as they could make. Especially given the term.

There will be "on the fly" aspects, like entertaining Kovalchuk, but none should undercut the direction they're heading.

A signing like Kovalchuk is fine, for 2 years

Right. And would only aid in the rebuilding effort. In a best case scenario, he comes in and scores say 30/30, helping the Rangers to become a competitive up-and-coming team, and gets flipped to a contender at the trading deadline?this season or next?for even more assets.

I finally got around to watching the press conference, am I the only one who is optimistic that they are going to properly rebuild this rather doing it on the fly?

He talked about fundamentals, and that's something I stress. Over the last few years, way too many goals against have been a complete breakdown of fundamentals among numerous players on the same play. Those goals are extremely frustrating to watch, especially on a consistent basis.

Right. And would only aid in the rebuilding effort. In a best case scenario, he comes in and scores say 30/30, helping the Rangers to become a competitive up-and-coming team, and gets flipped to a contender at the trading deadline?this season or next?for even more assets.

Exactly, and you hope a guy like him helps Buchnevich along the way. Win/win

I think you're just reading way too far into it. Of course he wants to win. I'm sure he wants to be the Yankees of hockey. You don't say that on the first day of your new coach's career.

Yep - got to walk before you can run especially when there's so much work to be done. I do wish Slats would just fade away completely.

No, really like the hire. Thought there were a half dozen or more good choices, but after Keefe, he was my preference. He covers so many bases this team needs. He has a lot of great leadership experience and he is at the perfect time to make the jump at 51 y/o. He's built to work with kids. A fresh voice with fresh ideas, but he still commands respect and is a communicator.

I'm happy with the direction and the coach. Now comes a lot more hard work for all of them. Sather and Dolan are capable of derailing a plan at any time, but I'm hoping the vision of the franchise for the next 5 years has been laid out by Gorton and staff. And that means a proper rebuild as stated in the letter and avoiding moves and shortcuts that conflict with the plan or core strategies/philosophies.

A signing like Kovalchuk is fine, for 2 years

Ha, you guys are all on point today, good discussion and points made by all. OK with 2 years, if they do their due diligence. Am I wrong to expect much less than 5-6 mil per year. Like even 4 mil or a little less?

I'd assume we'd trade him at the dealine, if we are not competing. That's why a one year contract should be an option. Yet he might get more in return if he has a 2 year. A limited no trade clause needs to be pretty liberal. He gets to name 8 to 10 teams he does not want to be traded to.

Exactly, and you hope a guy like him helps Buchnevich along the way. Win/win

Bingo.

Ha, you guys are all on point today, good discussion and points made by all. OK with 2 years, if they do their due diligence. Am I wrong to expect much less than 5-6 mil per year. Like even 4 mil or a little less?

I'd assume we'd trade him at the dealine, if we are not competing. That's why a one year contract should be an option. Yet he might get more in return if he has a 2 year. A limited no trade clause needs to be pretty liberal. He gets to name 8 to 10 teams he does not want to be traded to.

Yes. Any honest, respectful offer for Kovalcuk begins with 5, if not 6. Given the volume of cap room the team has, if they're serious about adding him, they need to treat the situation accordingly and not play fuckaround games in trying to save a few bucks.

Yes. Any honest, respectful offer for Kovalcuk begins with 5, if not 6. Given the volume of cap room the team has, if they're serious about adding him, they need to treat the situation accordingly and not play fuckaround games in trying to save a few bucks.

Oh I definitely wasn't trying to fuck around and suggest to play games. Honestly, I'm not sure fair value on him is much more than 4 mil. 6 mil for 2 years seems a bit excessive and may be hard to trade. He's not a 2 way player, he's old, not part of the future and is 7 years removed from the NHL. Maybe the cap going up forces me to rethink salaries.

Let's keep this in perspective. We still have other players to sign, RFAs and a bunch of either expensive or overpaid players on the roster including Hank, Staal, Shatty, Smith, Bellesky. Add good contracts like Zib, etc and there isn't oodles of room.

As for cap space, most here would pass on Zadina if it meant taking on Bobby Ryans contract with retention at 5.6 mil. Then we are going to spend that money on Kovy instead? I'd rather have Zadina and Ryan at 5.6.

He is a two-way player, and he's old in a vacuum. Back injuries and all, he's actually had fewer, less taxing miles put on his frame by playing in the KHL instead of the NHL the last seven years.

Now, as to your proposal, I agree -- I would also rather eat Ryan at 5.6 if it means Zadina. But assuming that's not on the table, or plausible, I have little to no issue with signing him to a two-year deal to bring along the rebuild. He's actually a fantastic player to have in that role IMO. His injection into the Devils lineup when they got him dramatically improved their fortunes.

Age is age. I'll give a little bit of credit to the fact that he's been in the KHL, but not that much. Do some of your skills erode a little bit when you've played against a steady diet of lesser competition for over five years? I wouldn't pay him more than about $4.5 per for two years.

How much we would pay Kovalchuk over 2 years seems fairly irrelevant. We have plenty of cap space and noone to use it on right now. Even when considering a possible trade down the road, if he's worth trading for then the little bit extra $$ is a very small hurdle and likely wouldn't impede a deal being made. I'm not even so sure he will come back to the states without some kind of NTC or even a full NMC though. It would stand to reason he wouldn't want to be moving from place to place if coming back to the US, but who knows.

How much we would pay Kovalchuk over 2 years seems fairly irrelevant. We have plenty of cap space and noone to use it on right now. Even when considering a possible trade down the road, if he's worth trading for then the little bit extra $$ is a very small hurdle and likely wouldn't impede a deal being made. I'm not even so sure he will come back to the states without some kind of NTC or even a full NMC though. It would stand to reason he wouldn't want to be moving from place to place if coming back to the US, but who knows.

If he comes back with NMC or NTC, he's not coming to the Rangers for two years. That wouldn't make much sense to me, but I could be wrong.

Edit - in other words, I could see a team contending or close to contending giving him a NTC since Kovy could potentially win a cup. But the more I think about this, I don't understand why he'd want to come here. Isn't he looking for a cup?

Age is age. I'll give a little bit of credit to the fact that he's been in the KHL, but not that much. Do some of your skills erode a little bit when you've played against a steady diet of lesser competition for over five years? I wouldn't pay him more than about $4.5 per for two years.

Then you're not getting him.

;929195]If he comes back with NMC or NTC, he's not coming to the Rangers for two years. That wouldn't make much sense to me, but I could be wrong.

Edit - in other words, I could see a team contending or close to contending giving him a NTC since Kovy could potentially win a cup. But the more I think about this, I don't understand why he'd want to come here. Isn't he looking for a cup?

He'll get some trade protection. A modified NTC is my guess, to keep him from going to a handful of destinations he would rather not go to.

He'll get some trade protection. A modified NTC is my guess, to keep him from going to a handful of destinations he would rather not go to.

I don't think that's really necessary. The deal is short, and only contenders would come calling. Why would he really care where he went for 20 or so games? Or 1 season? It's not like he'll be traded to Edmonton.

I know Winnipeg has no parks, but they are still good...

I don't think that's really necessary. The deal is short, and only contenders would come calling. Why would he really care where he went for 20 or so games? Or 1 season? It's not like he'll be traded to Edmonton.

I know Winnipeg has no parks, but they are still good...

Maybe it’s important to him. I’m sure he’ll get an 8-Team list, or something similar.

Archived