• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Suspended Four Games by IIHF

josh

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ask your parents how they would feel if you were at a tournament at 10 years old, lost in the finals, and threw your 2nd place medal in the crowd in front of 200-300 people. Please let us know what they said.

In Norway we dont have tournaments at 10 years old (that gives away 1st place, 2nd place etc), but I asked my dad how he would've reacted if I did the same as Lias (only in soccer cause I played very competetive soccer untill I was 18). I asked if he would think I was childish or if it was a act of a man who hate to lose and dont collect 2nd places if I threw away my silver medal after a U20 world cup loss. His answer: A player who hates to loose.

Maybe Ive just inhereted his attitudes, because I know he would do the same.

I think its crazy how people see anything negative in this. The man hates to lose, he doesnt collect 2nd places. Thats the only message Lias' action sends. He's a winner.

I'll take unrelated incidents that have nothing to do with this for $1,000, Alex.

And it's the Daily Double!

They are angry and dissapointed because of a loss/bad play/goal against. Exactly the same as Lias.

Whats the difference between throwing away a medal he dont want and throwing a stick in the ice because you let in a softy?

They are angry and dissapointed because of a loss/bad play/goal against. Exactly the same as Lias.

Whats the difference between throwing away a medal he dont want and throwing a stick in the ice because you let in a softy?

I don't care what it is. I'll tell you what it's not... It's not leadership.

You know what, the 1996 Canadian World Cup team lost the gold medal game to the US, did they toss their silver medals? Nope. Guess they're just not leaders...Or they didn't care.

In Norway we dont have tournaments at 10 years old (that gives away 1st place, 2nd place etc), but I asked my dad how he would've reacted if I did the same as Lias (only in soccer cause I played very competetive soccer untill I was 18). I asked if he would think I was childish or if it was a act of a man who hate to lose and dont collect 2nd places if I threw away my silver medal after a U20 world cup loss. His answer: A player who hates to loose.

I think its crazy how people see anything negative in this. The man hates to lose, he doesnt collect 2nd places. Thats the only message Lias' action sends. He's a winner.

You’re making it seem like he cares more than others because he showed it. Love to get him on a poker table.

David-Ortiz-Smashes-Phone-With-Bat-After-Ejection.gif?ssl=1

giphy.gif

8YH92Uj.gif

http://cjzero.com/gifs/RidleySlamsHelmetBench.gif

Those aren?t the same situations at all. If he was on the ice after the final buzzer and split his twig in 1/2 over the crossbar, I?m fine with that.

Fair enough. I just asked a USHL GM, an advisor, and 3 coaches the same question. They all had the about the same comment, some more colorful than others.

Fair enough. I just asked a USHL GM, an advisor, and 3 coaches the same question. They all had the about the same comment, some more colorful than others.

Who knows what he will become. But no coach wants to see this, and at the same time we never want players too comfortable with losing.

Through the course of a season there are thousands is instances where a player must deal with adversity.

Losing a game

Getting pulled off the PP

A bad call ya the refs

Hundreds is bad plays by linemates

The list goes on and on

Intensity and passion are needed, but so are the ability to control and work within that

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Well, they do have a president's trophy... They have the Wales and Campbell trophies for winning the conferences... I guess they should stop giving these bullshit meaningless trophies out, because they mean nothing in the end if your team isn't crowned champion.

Silver and bronze are runner up awards, and have been for ever. This isn't this new thing like participation awards that are somewhat equal to what the winner gets. I'm 41 and there have been participation awards for sports for as long as I can remember. The size and worth of the award was always the difference. NOT the fact that you get something for losing. The 5 inch trophy for losing was entirety shit on by the 2 foot tall 1st place trophy.

Since when is 2nd place a participation award?

You mean those trophies the players refuse to touch because all they care about is the Cup?

That is showing respect and honoring each other, athlete to athlete. Lias obviously didnt care for the silver medal so he threw it away to a fan who will remember that for the rest of his life. Jesus, how awful of him!!

And throwing a tantrum during an award ceremony, is some little brat trying to make the ceremony about him. "Did you see that medal ceremony?" "Yeah, that Canada team fought through some adversity" "No, no I'm talking about the one where that kid threw his medal into the stands, because he was upset"... "Yeah, that's the same one" Oh, Canada won that tourney? Hmmm"..

You're really going to bring it to Lias making a fan happy, because they almost got hit in the face with a silver disk... Again, taking away from an impressive Canadian win..

How is he shitting on anyone? He didnt throw a teammates' medal or a thropy the team got together. He threw his own little piece of silver. Good lord you guys read waaaay to much into this. None of his teammates/coaches/Family members has said anything bad about the situation. It is his fucking piece of little silver, he can do whaterever he wants with it.

Did you see the video? Totally blew off IIHF chairman Gonzalez, by not shaking his hand... When the captain of the Swedish team blows off an IIHF chairman, it certainly won't help his team /former team going forward. Not to mention, he got the medal back afterwards. He and some teammates were suspended for this... It's not looked at as being competitive by the IIHF.

It's obviously a team game, but maybe the problem is him... His Sweden team also lost in the U 18 world's and the Hlinka tourney (not like I knew this already, but found in research). So to me it's not about not being ok with losing... He's tired of losing and acted like a child who hasn't gotten his way two years in a row. Did you see most of his teammates line up and be respective of the chairman? Yes. But I guess they are all shit players who just love to lose?

It just rubs me wrong. To me it's immaturity coming from someone who is supposed to be mature beyond his years according to what people think of him and his skill. Maybe he's a born loser. What's next when he loses?

Apparently not.

Those aren’t the same situations at all. If he was on the ice after the final buzzer and split his twig in 1/2 over the crossbar, I’m fine with that.

And throwing a tantrum during an award ceremony, is some little brat trying to make the ceremony about him.

It just rubs me wrong. To me it's immaturity coming from someone who is supposed to be mature beyond his years according to what people think of him and his skill. Maybe he's a born loser. What's next when he loses?

I don't care what it is. I'll tell you what it's not... It's not leadership.

You know what, the 1996 Canadian World Cup team lost the gold medal game to the US, did they toss their silver medals? Nope. Guess they're just not leaders...Or they didn't care.

Who knows what he will become. But no coach wants to see this, and at the same time we never want players too comfortable with losing.

Through the course of a season there are thousands is instances where a player must deal with adversity.

Losing a game

A bad call ya the refs

The list goes on and on

Intensity and passion are needed, but so are the ability to control and work within that

I'm in agreement with Puckhead, Mike, the Dude, Pete, above comments and maybe some others i have not seen (or remember yet,) on this.

First of all I’m not going to hold this against Andersson going down the road. (not that anyone cares whether I do or not, but I’m not.)

I agree it’s an immature and/or inappropriate thing to do in the circumstance.

Participants know going in, that a silver medal is part of the whole event, a potential consequence of not winning as it were.

They have to reconcile that loss inside of themselves sooner or later. The sooner the better. Chucking the medal only postpones facing that.

But he's made his point about how he wants to be seen. A bunch of us think it was done inappropriately but we got the message.

It is now water under the bridge.

That said, I think can this can be a very powerful learning experience for Lias, especially if he can do what real winners do, which is fail, get back up, figure out how to do better and channel the negative energy back in a positive direction.

He’s still very young; with luck and good counsel he will learn the appropriate timing and control. There’s an opportunity there for him to learn form this an show in the proper way (that doesn’t involve tantrums) how to be a leader. This team could really use him to become a real leader going forward.

Losing a game

A bad call ya the refs

The list goes on and on

Right, you’re a coach, I’m a coach. It’s something we don’t want to see. I’m discussing this incident. It has nothing to do with what I think of him as a player. I don’t dislike the kid, I just don’t agree with what he did at that moment. No one likes losing, or is ok with it. There’s other ways to go about proving it.

Right, you?re a coach, I?m a coach. It?s something we don?t want to see. I?m discussing this incident. It has nothing to do with what I think of him as a player. I don?t dislike the kid, I just don?t agree with what he did at that moment. No one likes losing, or is ok with it. There?s other ways to go about proving it.
Repped

Shit. Gotta spread it.

Then the rule is stupid.

What if he was so upset and dissapointed in himself that he didnt feel he deserved a medal for it? U paint as if he stood there like a 5 year old crying and threw away his veggies.

I hope he never "learns" from this. I dont want a team full of McDonagh's and Staal's who seem like they think its alright to lose. I want Andersson's and Lundqvist's who hates to lose and gets mad, dissapointed and angry when losing. "2nd place is the first loser".

Well hopefully lias doesn?t become as proficient as hank at losing.

It’s called sportsmanship. To tolerate his behavior would be the end of sports if it manifested into common place. He made a mistake move on. However he acted like an immature child. To not see that and condone or excuse it as a positive is probably a generational thing. It’s also why this country and world is screwed.

Archived