• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Suspended Four Games by IIHF

josh

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And? Lias was 18. It's not like he beat up a cabbie or sexually violated someone, he through a medal into the crowd... I mean... Who cares?

Knowing your history, what would your coach done at Bantams if you pulled that shit? Come on bro, you know we?re not killing him, we?re killing the incident. Throwing a medal in the stands doesn?t make him more of a competitor than any other player on the planet. Everyone wants to win, but not everyone is a cunt when they lose.

Love that he did this and still do. How about don't give out silly runners up medals and ask the players to pretend this is the Olympics?

The participation trophies/medals for things like this has to stop, especially when it's done right after the game. People ask the losing team to have respect for the winner, how about everyone else shows a little respect for the losing team by not asking them to take a junk trophy after a tough, emotional loss?

Silver medal in anything is the award for second place. It's hardly a participation award. I despise participation type of awards, but silver and bronze are traditionally given out and IMO are nothing like participating bullshit awards we now see given to kids these days, that have to be equal to that of the winner.

Not being mature enough to take the 2nd place trophy is childish and what has been termed for many many years as a "sore loser".

Silver medal in anything is the award for second place. It's hardly a participation award. I despise participation type of awards, but silver and bronze are traditionally given out and IMO are nothing like participating bullshit awards we now see given to kids these days, that have to be equal to that of the winner.

Not being mature enough to take the 2nd place trophy is childish and what has been termed for many many years as a "sore loser".

Call it an award if you wish. Not everyone views it as such.

I will never blame a player for not wanting to stand there and take some bogus runners up trophy right after competiting in a championship game. Blame the system, not the player. The audacity of people to call or brand someone a sore loser for this is insane IMO.

Call it an award if you wish. Not everyone views it as such.

I will never blame a player for not wanting to stand there and take some bogus runners up trophy right after competiting in a championship game. Blame the system, not the player. The audacity of people to call or brand someone a sore loser for this is insane IMO.

tenor.gif?itemid=3983540

If you're not a sore loser for throwing a tantrum on International TV after losing a game, what would make you a sore loser? Hahahaha

Not that being a sore loser is necessarily a problem.

Blame the system that promotes a code of gentlemanly conduct after a sporting match? What should the code of conduct be? Children that can't emotionally deal with losing should be sent off the ice immediately in the event of a loss?

10,000 participants came before Lias and managed to conduct themselves with some dignity, but now the system that puts a premium on not being a spoiled douchebag is the problem?

I'm having a hard time understanding The Narrative. We need to toughen these kids up by not giving them participation trophies when they lose. Also, let's create a safe space where their feelings won't get hurt by having to watch the other team celebrate. Which one is it?

If you're not a sore loser for throwing a tantrum on International TV after losing a game, what would make you a sore loser? Hahahaha

Blame the system that promotes a code of gentlemanly conduct after a sporting match? What should the code of conduct be? Children that can't emotionally deal with losing should be sent off the ice immediately in the event of a loss?

10,000 participants came before Lias and managed to conduct themselves with some dignity, but now the system that puts a premium on not being a spoiled douchebag is the problem?

Gotta spread it around

I'm having a hard time understanding The Narrative. We need to toughen these kids up by not giving them participation trophies when they lose. Also, let's create a safe space where their feelings won't get hurt by having to watch the other team celebrate. Which one is it?

It’s not a participation trophy though. If it were, everyone would get one. The loser of the bronze medal game gets cock, as well as all the teams that didn’t get to the quarters.

It’s not a participation trophy though. If it were, everyone would get one. The loser of the bronze medal game gets cock, as well as all the teams that didn’t get to the quarters.

For WJC, yes, but not for the Olympics.

A little-known fact is that there are more awards than just the gold, silver and bronze. All athletes who place first through eighth receive an Olympic diploma. Every Olympic athlete receives a participation medal and diploma.
http://www.columbiatribune.com/52cf89e2-93f8-11e3-b7cf-10604b9f6eda.html

Reinforcing the fact that the silver isn't a participation medal LOL.

Gentlemanly conduct = shaking the hand of your opponent and recognizing them for a game well played. Gentlemanly conduct != pretending like you have won something after you just lost.

Should we have something handed out to the Stanley Cup loser before the winning team gets the Cup handed to them?

Gentlemanly conduct = shaking the hand of your opponent and recognizing them for a game well played. Gentlemanly conduct != pretending like you have won something after you just lost.

Should we have something handed out to the Stanley Cup loser before the winning team gets the Cup handed to them?

Having to shake your opponents hand after losing a playoff series in any round is worse than getting a medal. The point is to not act like a dick, like Billy Smith.

Also, the professional leagues where guys get paid don’t do it. It’s for tournaments, regional, and district recognition of getting that far. Last year we lost the best of 3 in districts to earn a trip to Nationals. The moment I’ll never forget as a coach, and a parent of the goaltender, was watching him drop to his knees at the buzzer realizing our run was over. After being consoled by his teammates while watching the other team celly, we lined up, shook hands, had our names announced, and took our silver medals and 2nd place hats with dignity. To make that worse, you shake hands 3 fuckin times because after the league officials call you up, you go down the opponents line and shake their hands, and vice versa. They had tears, but no one threw shit. Some wore their medals and hats walking out of the locker room, some didn’t, and that’s ok. No one threw them back on the ice, or in the garbage, unless it was done privately, which is also ok. It’s how you’re perceived, someone’s always watching.

Well, they do have a president's trophy... They have the Wales and Campbell trophies for winning the conferences... I guess they should stop giving these bullshit meaningless trophies out, because they mean nothing in the end if your team isn't crowned champion.

Silver and bronze are runner up awards, and have been for ever. This isn't this new thing like participation awards that are somewhat equal to what the winner gets. I'm 41 and there have been participation awards for sports for as long as I can remember. The size and worth of the award was always the difference. NOT the fact that you get something for losing. The 5 inch trophy for losing was entirety shit on by the 2 foot tall 1st place trophy.

Since when is 2nd place a participation award?

Well, they do have a president's trophy... They have the Wales and Campbell trophies for winning the conferences... I guess they should stop giving these bullshit meaningless trophies out, because they mean nothing in the end if your team isn't crowned champion.

Silver and bronze are runner up awards, and have been for ever. This isn't this new thing like participation awards that are somewhat equal to what the winner gets. I'm 41 and there have been participation awards for sports for as long as I can remember. The size and worth of the award was always the difference. NOT the fact that you get something for losing. The 5 inch trophy for losing was entirety shit on by the 2 foot tall 1st place trophy.

Since when is 2nd place a participation award?

I missed the part where those trophies were handed out after losing.

Having to shake your opponents hand after losing a playoff series in any round is worse than getting a medal. The point is to not act like a dick, like Billy Smith.

Also, the professional leagues where guys get paid don’t do it. It’s for tournaments, regional, and district recognition of getting that far. Last year we lost the best of 3 in districts to earn a trip to Nationals. The moment I’ll never forget as a coach, and a parent of the goaltender, was watching him drop to his knees at the buzzer realizing our run was over. After being consoled by his teammates while watching the other team celly, we lined up, shook hands, had our names announced, and took our silver medals and 2nd place hats with dignity. To make that worse, you shake hands 3 fuckin times because after the league officials call you up, you go down the opponents line and shake their hands, and vice versa. They had tears, but no one threw shit. Some wore their medals and hats walking out of the locker room, some didn’t, and that’s ok. No one threw them back on the ice, or in the garbage, unless it was done privately, which is also ok. It’s how you’re perceived, someone’s always watching.

Maybe true, but that's not the point at all.

Runner up awards is not the same as participation awards. Also, the platform matters. A league in any sport at any age with a playoff format shouldn’t be giving out anything to the teams that sucked. When it’s an international event or invite, you’ve already separated yourself from the lesser competitors in your sport from your area, region, state, country, etc ...

That’s why a tournament of that magnitude acknowledges the runner ups.

You're not getting an award for participating and losing.

You're getting recognition for everyone you beat to be able to play for gold.

The notion that if you lose a gold medal game you should walk off hanging your head with nothing is crazy to me.

Its a silver medal in the WJC for a kid that knows he will be playing in the NHL. It means nothing to him.

Would you guys react this way if NHL gave out silver medals for the losing SCF team and Lundqvist threw his away in 2014? I seriously doubt that.

There’s really not much of a difference between that and his death stares after a goal, which he’s been criticized for a million times.

They don't, and he didn't. So it doesn't matter.

Because silver medals are dumb, and NHL knows that pro athletes don't care about 2nd places. Neither did Lias.

There’s really not much of a difference between that and his death stares after a goal, which he’s been criticized for a million times.

There's really nothing similar with that and Lias throwing the medal. Him staring down a teammate for doing a bad job is not the same as Lias throwing away a medal he felt was useless to him.

But all facts aside, in theory - IF they gave out silver medals for the finals losers and Hank threw it away, no one would react like this.

Or if a player on the winning team threw his gold medal to a fan. Is that also disrespecting the other teams and players?

Its just a silly and stupid thing to even argue. He was sad, angry and dissapointed because he lost. Then they gave him a medal/prize for the game he just lost. He felt it was stupid and took it off and threw away. Whats wrong with that?

Archived