• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Suspended Four Games by IIHF

josh

Because silver medals are dumb, and NHL knows that pro athletes don't care about 2nd places. Neither did Lias.

There's really nothing similar with that and Lias throwing the medal. Him staring down a teammate for doing a bad job is not the same as Lias throwing away a medal he felt was useless to him.

But all facts aside, in theory - IF they gave out silver medals for the finals losers and Hank threw it away, no one would react like this.

Or if a player on the winning team threw his gold medal to a fan. Is that also disrespecting the other teams and players?

Its just a silly and stupid thing to even argue. He was sad, angry and dissapointed because he lost. Then they gave him a medal/prize for the game he just lost. He felt it was stupid and took it off and threw away. Whats wrong with that?

I would certainly call Hank a whiney bitch if he did that.

I do kind of love how all of a sudden, silver medals are stupid. That's brand spanking new opinion that has never been brought up before. But hey, if it helps the narrative...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm back on the sportsmanship wagon...

IF Lias had simply taken the medal and NOT worn it, just carried it, that would have been enough of a statement. Throwing it into the stands is a bit dramatic and not a 'good visual' for the sport be it IIHF, NHL, KHL, Olympics, NCAA or high school. It's not a cool move IMO.

The moment Lias was handed the medal, it was his. He should be allowed to do with it what he pleases so long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else.

The moment Lias was handed the medal, it was his. He should be allowed to do with it what he pleases so long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else.

If that's my teammate, or opponent, I'm insulted.

it's something you don't do.

If you are wearing the jersey, you are still on the team's time.

Go home and throw it away, if you dont want it.

Its a silver medal in the WJC for a kid that knows he will be playing in the NHL. It means nothing to him.

Would you guys react this way if NHL gave out silver medals for the losing SCF team and Lundqvist threw his away in 2014? I seriously doubt that.

It obviously meant quite a bit to him.

World championships are much different for Euro hockey players

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Its a silver medal in the WJC for a kid that knows he will be playing in the NHL. It means nothing to him.

Would you guys react this way if NHL gave out silver medals for the losing SCF team and Lundqvist threw his away in 2014? I seriously doubt that.

Yes every time regardless of who does it.

I bet it infringed on the guy in the crowd who got hit with it.

The guy who was smiling and holding it up for the camera? I doubt it.

Why exactly would that be insulting? If I'm on his team or the opposition, I'd think, "damn, he's pissed his team didn't win". I'd have to be trying really hard to be offended to think it had anything to do with me.

That works both ways. If a teammate was happy to receive a 2nd place medal after losing, maybe I'm insulted by that.

We have been told of this unwritten status quo for things that nobody has an open mind about alternative approaches.

Because silver medals are dumb, and NHL knows that pro athletes don't care about 2nd places. Neither did Lias.

There's really nothing similar with that and Lias throwing the medal. Him staring down a teammate for doing a bad job is not the same as Lias throwing away a medal he felt was useless to him.

But all facts aside, in theory - IF they gave out silver medals for the finals losers and Hank threw it away, no one would react like this.

Or if a player on the winning team threw his gold medal to a fan. Is that also disrespecting the other teams and players?

Its just a silly and stupid thing to even argue. He was sad, angry and dissapointed because he lost. Then they gave him a medal/prize for the game he just lost. He felt it was stupid and took it off and threw away. Whats wrong with that?

As Mike said. Having to shake hands of the opponent after you lost is much more degrading than receiving a medal a half hour later.

Doesn't that happen in the NHL?

That works both ways. If a teammate was happy to receive a 2nd place medal after losing, maybe I'm insulted by that.

We have been told of this unwritten status quo for things that nobody has an open mind about alternative approaches.

What's unwritten is not to act like a brat and disrespect the tourney by throwing your medal after receiving it.

What is there to be open minded about? That he's upset? What is he 5? Fuck him and his team. Win instead of losing. Fuckin brat. If it were in protest to a poorly officiated game or anything like that, I would have a bit more respect for the throw. But his team lost fair and square.

Emotion is all good IMO. Acting like a fucking child is not. You put the rest of the team, the coach, coaches from your past and your family in a bad light, nevermind disrespecting the federation by tossing the accomplishment away like it's garbage.

Lias might make it as a pro. MIGHT. I'm sure 1/2 his team mates don't. He's kinda shitting on those players, because that may be the best they will ever do...

It's just shitty.

As Mike said. Having to shake hands of the opponent after you lost is much more degrading than receiving a medal a half hour later.

Doesn't that happen in the NHL?

That is showing respect and honoring each other, athlete to athlete. Lias obviously didnt care for the silver medal so he threw it away to a fan who will remember that for the rest of his life. Jesus, how awful of him!!

Emotion is all good IMO. Acting like a fucking child is not. You put the rest of the team, the coach, coaches from your past and your family in a bad light, nevermind disrespecting the federation by tossing the accomplishment away like it's garbage.

Lias might make it as a pro. MIGHT. I'm sure 1/2 his team mates don't. He's kinda shitting on those players, because that may be the best they will ever do...

It's just shitty.

How is he shitting on anyone? He didnt throw a teammates' medal or a thropy the team got together. He threw his own little piece of silver. Good lord you guys read waaaay to much into this. None of his teammates/coaches/Family members has said anything bad about the situation. It is his fucking piece of little silver, he can do whaterever he wants with it.

Actually the rules say he can't. That's why he apologized and that's why he's suspended.

If you can't express disappointment without throwing something, that's childish. But he's a child who will grow up and learn from this.

Then the rule is stupid.

What if he was so upset and dissapointed in himself that he didnt feel he deserved a medal for it? U paint as if he stood there like a 5 year old crying and threw away his veggies.

I hope he never "learns" from this. I dont want a team full of McDonagh's and Staal's who seem like they think its alright to lose. I want Andersson's and Lundqvist's who hates to lose and gets mad, dissapointed and angry when losing. "2nd place is the first loser".

Ask your parents how they would feel if you were at a tournament at 10 years old, lost in the finals, and threw your 2nd place medal in the crowd in front of 200-300 people. Please let us know what they said.

Then the rule is stupid.

What if he was so upset and dissapointed in himself that he didnt feel he deserved a medal for it? U paint as if he stood there like a 5 year old crying and threw away his veggies.

I hope he never "learns" from this. I dont want a team full of McDonagh's and Staal's who seem like they think its alright to lose. I want Andersson's and Lundqvist's who hates to lose and gets mad, dissapointed and angry when losing. "2nd place is the first loser".

Why can't you separate the emotion from the reaction? Do you not believe it's possible to be angry yet not react like a child?

Archived