• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Suspended Four Games by IIHF

josh

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 44, a father of 2 great kids.. Have made a fairly decent career for myself. We'd have 275 pages dissecting the dumb shit I did as an 18 year old... I was equal parts child/idiot/asshole... I got better (somewhat).

Has it been considered the kid might have actually learned from this and it may be beneficial in the long run?

Yeah, the world is screwed because some people thinks it fine to throw away a silver medal. Hit the head on the nail there.

Your country is screwed because of yourself, Im living fine here in Norway :cheers:

I have less of an issue with lias in the heat of the moment making a mistake, then I do with excuses or finding positives out of a selfish immature response 5 months later. Throwing away a silver medal is not the point. Having humility, respect for yourself, the country you are representing and your opponent is. When you act like a jerk when you loose, how do you act when you win? That was an international competition which is supposed to be all about sportsmanship. The handshake at the end of those games or a playoff round is supposed to be all about being gracious and respect. The medal ceremony is an extension of that. Losing with grace is as important if not more so then winning with it. I wouldn’t want my kids to act like that and believe me they would corrected immediate. That said he’s a kid, he made a mistake, hopefully he learned a lesson. Obviously those defending it or even saying it was a good thing learned nothing. That’s unfortunate

I have less of an issue with lias in the heat of the moment making a mistake, then I do with excuses or finding positives out of a selfish immature response 5 months later. Throwing away a silver medal is not the point. Having humility, respect for yourself, the country you are representing and your opponent is. When you act like a jerk when you loose, how do you act when you win? That was an international competition which is supposed to be all about sportsmanship. The handshake at the end of those games or a playoff round is supposed to be all about being gracious and respect. The medal ceremony is an extension of that. Losing with grace is as important if not more so then winning with it. I wouldn?t want my kids to act like that and believe me they would corrected immediate. That said he?s a kid, he made a mistake, hopefully he learned a lesson. Obviously those defending it or even saying it was a good thing learned nothing. That?s unfortunate

We see the situation completely different, so there is no need to discuss this any longer.

Im sure lias has a lot of respect to his team and opponents, but he didnt want the silver medal. Again, you read way to much into the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm 44, a father of 2 great kids.. Have made a fairly decent career for myself. We'd have 275 pages dissecting the dumb shit I did as an 18 year old... I was equal parts child/idiot/asshole... I got better (somewhat).

Has it been considered the kid might have actually learned from this and it may be beneficial in the long run?

Totally has. I don't think anyone is holding it against him. I'm certainly not. Just acknowledging that it was dumb and childish, not the mark of a leader. Others disagree.

Now, this isn't to say that he's not a leader, but people who think he is one because he did this, I think are mistaken.

Many moons ago I played on the losing side of the NY State Championship final.

Not only did we lose, we lost in the worst possible manner. We scored a perfectly good winning goal that was wrongly judged to be after the horn in the 3rd period and went on to lose in overtime.

We were then made to stay on the ice, receive our consolation prize and then applaud the opposition as they received the trophy.

Did enjoy it? No, it was shit. But we stood there, heads held high because our coach and the program valued sportsmanship. Anyone pulling something like Lias did would have great difficulties making that program the following year.

I don’t know what the moral of the story is. This discussion just reminds me of standing on the ice having to bite my lip. And having been taught that was the right thing to do even though all I wanted was to tell everyone involved in that shambles to fuck right off.

Archived