• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2017-18 ECSF | Washington Capitals (M1) v. Pittsburgh Penguins (M2)

Who wins?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Capitals in 4
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7
    • Penguins in 4
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tom wilson reputation plus borderline hit plus injury out for playoffs equals public relations suspension, 2 games for play, 1 game for repeat offender. terrible hockey decision but pr move to show concern for head injury. climate for all pro leagues now.

I'm sure sitting on the bench laughing about it didn't help his case either.

Trotz said during a conference that he wasn't laughing at the hit. The fans were booing him, a player on the caps bench made a comment and he was laughing at that. Apparently... :p

All this does is encourage the whiny nonsense that ruined soccer. Fucking grow a pair NHL. Guys get hurt in hockey sometimes. This is BS.

This.

Wilson is what? 6'4"? Easily 4" taller than the pens player. How is he supposed to legally hit him? Get on his knees first? For fuck sake, it's a contact sport. You don't want to get lit up, get your god damn head up. It's really that simple. I'm all for getting rid of dirty plays but I'm not for getting rid of checking and that's exactly what's happening. Every hit is either a fight or a suspension. It's insane.

3 games?! fuck outta here. Its the fuckings playoff. Suspend a player 3 games and his team could be out before he's back. 3 playoffs games should involve some brutal illegal shit, not this.

Pens needed some momentum and the NHL gifts it to them.

Wilson has 7p in 9 playoff games this season, even if he's no star, it sucks to lose him for 3 games.

That's a disgraceful decision in my opinion.

It's playoff hockey. Its intense and the physical game is ramped up, that's a big reason why the playoffs are a lot more interesting to watch.

Now, a big boy hitting a midget crouching down doesn't mean the hit is high. It's a perfectly good hit on a guy who's trying to get off cheap by hitting the breaks and making himself small.

We're getting into a territory where sitting down instead of accepting you're about to get hit is likely to get someone off for a few games.

Not trying to be a conspiracy theorist here or go fishing, but does anyone think it?s possible that he broke his jaw after his face bounced off the ice, or no ? Can someone post a video of the WHOLE play, and not just clips of the initial contact?

Not trying to be a conspiracy theorist here or go fishing, but does anyone think it’s possible that he broke his jaw after his face bounced off the ice, or no ? Can someone post a video of the WHOLE play, and not just clips of the initial contact?

Me neither, but if that was Malkin hitting Beagle he would never get 3 games, especially not in the playoffs

http://md-akc.med.nhl.com/mp4/nhl/2018/05/02/02d952b3-943b-453e-89c7-423c3a8af540/1525303144638/asset_1800k.mp4

So here's the NHL's explanation video. And... if you look at the angle they have from the Penguin's bench, Wilson hits him in the jaw with his follow throw.

With that said, I still don't think the head is the main point of contact. The shoulder is the main point and the head/jaw is afterwards.

Gotta change this PPoC ambiguity. Any hit to the head should be a suspension, if you're serious about protecting players.

This is the solution. Hit to the head? Major and a game. League looks at it to determine if any supplemental discipline is needed.

Intentional or not, it shouldn't matter.

This goes back to players not being aware of who’s on the ice/surroundings and putting themselves in vulnerable spots

Not in this case though. He knew, he saw it coming. He was looking right at him.

Maybe someone on here can post the video from the blue line that Daniel Carcillo retweeted, Wilson's shoulder got ZAR simultaneously in the shoulder/jaw, (just posted a still shot to the BSBH twitter). Wilson is a dbag just as much as Gudas is. Lets be honest here, if Wilson did the same exact hit on someone like Kreider and knocked him out with a broken jaw/concussion I dont think anyone here would be praising Wilson with a "clean" hit, instead we'd want the book thrown at him.

Maybe someone on here can post the video from the blue line that Daniel Carcillo retweeted, Wilson's shoulder got ZAR simultaneously in the shoulder/jaw, (just posted a still shot to the BSBH twitter). Wilson is a dbag just as much as Gudas is. Lets be honest here, if Wilson did the same exact hit on someone like Kreider and knocked him out with a broken jaw/concussion I dont think anyone here would be praising Wilson with a "clean" hit, instead we'd want the book thrown at him.

This is still bothering me. Now any guy who goes for a big open ice hit will be thinking “oh shit I better not accidentally clip his face or I’m sitting a few games”. Is that what we want in our game? The guy got destroyed and saw it all coming, if anything Reese is at fault for not defending himself better. If you’re going to skate against men you better be prepared to take a hit coming straight at you like one.

Again this is a different story if this was a dirty play, but it’s not and for their to be any suspension here just moves this game more towards the nonsense that happens in soccer where players pretend to be injured for various benefits.

Sorry, but no.

To my mind there is nothing wrong with that hit. It’s the injury that is the determining factor, not the hit itself. I agree with the NHL Tonight crew; if ZAR jumps back up after the hit nothing happens.

Trotz said during a conference that he wasn't laughing at the hit. The fans were booing him, a player on the caps bench made a comment and he was laughing at that. Apparently... :p

Thanks. I didn't see that. I guess we'll never know for sure.

Sorry, but no.

To my mind there is nothing wrong with that hit. It’s the injury that is the determining factor, not the hit itself. I agree with the NHL Tonight crew; if ZAR jumps back up after the hit nothing happens.

Yeah, the NHL has been pretty transparent about the whole "suspend to the injury" thing, which in my mind, is the most ridiculous aspect of the DOPS. It should be either suspension worthy or not. It should have nothing to do with whether a player was hurt or not.

Archived