• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kovalchuk Reportedly Getting Around $6M Per Season on Multi-Year Deal

Phil

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just because it worked with jagr means nothing when it comes to Kovalchuk. At two years it?s not a big deal. From what I?ve heard through different stories is that his teammates love him. Brodeur praised him. Nothing about him excites me but as long as signing him doesn?t change the process in which this team goes about building in on with it. One more thing he cannot get a ntc. That is a deal breaker. I would give him another year before that. If that is a demand then it?s a hard pass

Can give him a NMC in Year 1 only. If it goes to shit in Year 2 need to be able to move him at the deadline.

Oh give him the NMC if it saves a few bucks. He's not going to reject a trade in the last season of his contract if the Rangers are out of the playoffs, and havent won a cup, yet.

He accepted a trade to NJ... i mean, come on...

?Now, on the Kovalchuk thing we need to explain a few things. I don?t doubt for a moment that Kovalchuk is going to end up with the Rangers. And I could probably guess that there?s probably been some conversations, but just for the matter of technicality ? he?s not technically a free agent in the NHL until his 35th birthday, which is April 15th. At that point he?s free to negotiate a contract with any team that he wants, and we assume it?ll be the Rangers. But we don?t know that 100 percent. And he can?t technically sign it until July 1, which is neither here nor there. He could obviously agree to it on April 15.

?I don?t believe for a moment the Rangers will sign him to a three-year deal. I think they?d like to sign him to a one-year deal. I think Kovalchuk probably wants a three-year deal. My guess is it ends up being a two-year deal.

?So to your point ? why does a rebuilding hockey team want a guy of his age in their lineup ? because they figure they?re got holes in their lineup. And it?s New York, and they want to try to be as competitive as they can be.

?When they said we?re going younger and we?re going to do this, this didn?t say we?re tearing it down and we?re going to be absolute dog meat for three years and bottom out in the league. What they said was we?re going to add a whole bunch of kids and we?re going to move some of our guys off our roster to do it.

https://www.fanragsports.com/ny-rangers/mckenzie-new-york-is-new-york-and-rangers-are-rangers/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I don’t see them crying over the Rangers signing a 35 year old

They are. I have friends who are pissed. He cucked the shit out of the devils, set their franchise back 5 years, and now is going to the enemy. I had some pathetic friends who thought/hoped he'd go back to the devils.

Kovy gets a bad wrap.

I've always seen his exit from NJ as more of a mutually beneficial arrangement than anything due to the circumvention.

not to sure it's s bad wrap at all, he signed a long term deal and bailed, you think the intention of the team was for him to walk all along? Also IF and I still highly doubt Taveras signs here neither of these signings will help on the other side of the puck and we'll continue to give up goals at a record pace. Hank looked average at best after the first couple of months this season. If that trend continues as much as I love the guy he will become part of the problem more and more with each passing season.

Time will tell.

Just last week or the week before the prevailing thought based on some articles was Kovalchuk was coming back for a chance to win a cup, now he's changed him mind?

Archived