• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kovalchuk Reportedly Getting Around $6M Per Season on Multi-Year Deal

Phil

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obviously fake news. Why would Gorton risk tampering and contact Kovy when he's not allowed to when there is no particular need to get the jump on any competition? I think there may be some Russian interference/collusion here. Talk up a supposed contract with a really big number in order to bolster the perception of what he should get.

Obviously fake news. Why would Gorton risk tampering and contact Kovy when he's not allowed to when there is no particular need to get the jump on any competition? I think there may be some Russian interference/collusion here. Talk up a supposed contract with a really big number in order to bolster the perception of what he should get.

He’s a free agent. No tampering.

The issue with Kovalchuk is that he signed voluntary retirement papers. Upon turning 35, he can officailly re-enter the league as a UFA and come off that list. The only way to re-enter the league prior to this was to return to Jersey, be traded by them, or to negotiate a deal with another club that all other NHL teams signed off on.

He is officially Devils property until his 35th birthday on 4/15, and any talking to him before then would be tampering, which is exactly what Gorton pointed out in the presser. Thus, there is no deal, $6 million or otherwise, unless Gorton has been blatantly tampering, which would just be dumb, as he will have from 4/15 to 7/1 to talk to him as much as he wants before Kovy can sign.

He is officially Devils property until his 35th birthday on 4/15, and any talking to him before then would be tampering, which is exactly what Gorton pointed out in the presser. Thus, there is no deal, $6 million or otherwise, unless Gorton has been blatantly tampering, which would just be dumb, as he will have from 4/15 to 7/1 to talk to him as much as he wants before Kovy can sign.

This is spot on. Besides the idea of 3 years at 18 mil is absurd. If you listen to Gorton, he is telling you the same. He isn't going to negotiate against himself.

3 years is way too long for a guy that has left the NHL for more money, and one thats especially over 35 and hasn't been in the league for a while now. I also want nothing to do with paying him $6M a year.

Any money he left for is completely irrelevant. All that matters is his value right now to the Rangers. 2 x 6 seems fine to me, especially if he can bring some Ruski cred to bring over some of his comrades

3 years is way too long for a guy that has left the NHL for more money, and one thats especially over 35 and hasn't been in the league for a while now. I also want nothing to do with paying him $6M a year.

I'll never give someone shit for leaving jersey

He didn't exactly leave them. It was more like a mutually beneficial divorce. He had signed a double digits long extension he was never going to play out, and they were staring down recapture penalties, albeit well down the line.

I'm okay with this. It also informs me that Shestyorkin and Rykov will be coming over during this contract period.

What it suggests to me is that we're 100% in on Tavares or some other upgrading deal that sends a Kreider or Hayes-like player + a prospect and/or a pick for a young certifiable upgrade.

This isn't signing Jagr in 2018. This is signing Jagr in 2006.

Please not Kreider, or we are bereft of punch, physical presence, and meaningful netfront presence upfront to make Tavares worth signing in the first place ... or it ain't worth it for him to come here. (Not accepting Kovachuk as part of any rationale/equation to trade Kreider, either., just sayin').

McKenzie has already said he doesn't believe for a second the Rangers will go three years. That he thinks they want one, Kovalchuk wants three, ergo they settle on two and call it a day.

Tweet: Deal!

P.S. Is this US - Russia trade subject to any unforeseen embargos, tariffs, collusion or vetos?

Archived