• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

McKenzie: AV Has Been Fired

Looking for someone who's defensive system doesn't consist of protecting a one goal lead with a defensive zone fire drill praying your goalie will stand on his head. Also, if said goalie is run, say, in A Stanley Cup Final, damn the penalty, somebody is getting punched in the face and the refs are going to hear about it. Don't cry for James Dolan's new $2 million per guitar roadie.

Understand; Tortarella went too far berating his players. But especially with the young players that will be here next year, need someone way more hands on.

One in house name; Jim Schoenfeld. Lives in Manhattan, knows all the young guys, and has a serious red ass streak when appropriate. Had a nice history turning a young Devils team into a playoff contender. But that is a very long time ago, and may be he prefers to be part of the organization rather than Calgary/Edmonton/Winnipeg in February. Along the same lines, expect to hear rumblings about MSL and Drury, again, because they're already here anyway.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly, that's why he's awesome. He has a blank slate and could teach these guys a lot. Once he becomes onerous you move on, that's how these things work.

Sutter is the antithesis of what we should be looking for at this point imo.

I have an unnatural dislike for anything Sutter but when when the Rangers went to the finals and just seeing LA skate in warmups was all I needed to know that there was not a chance for NY to win. Sutter put together a big and fast team that was really intimidating and obviously really hard to play against. Could he handle such a young team? IDK but he seems pretty high on a list of maybes. I totally agreed with AV regarding our net minder. Everyone chimes in saying it was "defensive breakdowns" yet Raanta put up incredible numbers with a worse D-core. Maybe Igor can claim asylum?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The real question is: how long until people start suggesting Messier for the job?

:bravery:

Under/over of 30 seconds?

Should be a resounding NO.

Marketing arms of MSG love selling the nostalgia; overselling it really. But the guy has never coached at any level. Some might bring up Aaron Boone as a comparison. But Boone had been in and around MLB daily as a broadcaster since his retirement as a player. Messier has not, and he has never say, gone down to Hartford or even been part of any national team staff either. Question would be are you trying to win games than paying homage to the past. And remember part of that past at the tail end was not so glorious.

In my heart I would have to say This is New York, you will not see someone without coaching experience get the job. But I do agree with Bugg, it will more than likely be someone in that Boston/Connecticut circle. Someone who could very well will bring in MSL?as an assistant.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I mean someone who has coached before. Do you really think Gorton and company is gonna hang their hat, put their careers/jobs on the line by hiring a coach with zero coaching experience.

BTW: with all those draft picks. Would you guys offer sheet William Nylander?it may cost a 1st, 2nd & 3rd Rd pick to get him.

know why yzerman has a real hockey job and messier doesn’t? yzerman was willing to put in the work and learn the business from the management side. messier would be a disaster since he hasn’t done the preparation work

I mean someone who has coached before. Do you really think Gorton and company is gonna hang their hat, put their careers/jobs on the line by hiring a coach with zero coaching experience.

BTW: with all those draft picks. Would you guys offer sheet William Nylander—it may cost a 1st, 2nd & 3rd Rd pick to get him.

Right, so I'll ask again. This is the same organization that interviewed Mark Messier, right? With all zero of his NHL coaching history?

The same organization ready to give Marty St. Louis, with all zero of his professional games coached, the reins to HFD?

All of this is to say, of course, hire the best man for the job.

Gorton should be the next one to go. So, he won a cup. Why isn't he still there if he is so brilliant? AV should have been kept not Gorton. Let's see how he does with 10 picks in the June draft (more if he trades 36, 13 and 20. He was a loser from day one.

Archived