• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

McKenzie: AV Has Been Fired

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, My prayers have finally been answered. I've beaten the absolute piss out of this guy and his staff for years now and I'm not going to trample the man now that he's gone.

Gonna take the high road here and wish him the best wherever he lands. I'm glad to see the organization sees it this way, and these kids are going to have a fresh start with a new philosophy. It's a happy day for me, and that's all I needed to say. I can now look forward to next season with quite a bit of hope and once more ROOT for the team I absolutely missed rooting for this year....and the last few years.

I have no clue who'll they'll get, but I trust Gorton to do the right thing. He's been pretty good so far with the trades we made in my eyes and I think we'll be very good in the draft.

Today I love the Rangers again, and I'm wearing my logo hat in the office for the first time in 3 years!!

Damn!

Are you my long lost twin?:worship:

Damn!

Are you my long lost twin?:worship:

Skunk, I'm a very loud and proud Rangers fan, just like you my man. ...to the point of kicking shit, throwing shit and screaming at the TV to extents that would probably land someone in a mental hospital!! ;)

I love this team more than words can express, and I'm that dude you definitely wanna be sitting next to at the bar to root for your guys! ...and to think I had to be saddled with that lump of emotionless stubbornness on the bench was driving me past the point of insanity.

@Frank: Hey man....you had to know that "dancing in the streets" post was coming the minute they announced his firing!!! LOL

How long have I waited?? =)

Thanks for talking me in off the ledge 2 years ago when they signed him to that extension!! I owe you my life!!! :rofl:

Hope he was asking Ruff about his opinion on Nichushkin. I really think he should be in play as a buy low target.

Man, you really like this guy. What is it about him that has you mentioning him all the time? I remember him playing for the Stars and thought he was promising for a bit but never really grew into what was expected. The numbers in the KHL kind of support a guy that just can't play a big role here.

Bill Peters or O'Keefe or a name that I've brought up before but haven't seen anywhere else is Eakins -- I think he got an unfair shake in Edmonton.

Those are the names that excite me the most.

I don't want Peters. He seems like more of the same of what we have had. If Guy Boucher gets fired from Ottawa, I wouldn't mind him here honestly.

Bill Peters is more of the same. Let's get Jaques Lemaire Junior instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

More of the same of what? He's highly respected around the league. Learned from the best (literally). Similar to Eakins, it's hard to have success when the owner/franchise you work for is a complete dumpster fire. I'm not saying he's a must have, but I'm not so quick to write guys off either.

Man, you really like this guy. What is it about him that has you mentioning him all the time? I remember him playing for the Stars and thought he was promising for a bit but never really grew into what was expected. The numbers in the KHL kind of support a guy that just can't play a big role here.

Hes had success in the NHL, is young, is still somewhat cheap, and from what I saw of him in the NHL, he was teetering on being a top 6 forward, if not top line. He had a falling out in Dallas, and should be available for a small price in trade.

In a cap league, on a team with very little game breaking talent, I feel that these types of moves could be huge in moving forward with a youth movement. Add in that hes Russian and could mix in well with all the current Russian players as well as future ones coming soon.

It may be a reach. But some of us have this feeling like the Rangers need to make MSG a more comfortable place for our future Russian prospects as well as the current ones. Its probably nonsensical and not really needed. But its an ongoing theme.

Anyway, he has big game potential and should be available for very little. Thats why I keep bringing his name up (i think I said it 2-3 times)

On edit,

Looking at his stats, he actually only had one decent year' and that was his rookie year. He did have a hip injury, so maybe that held him back, although he still put up i think 30 points. Anyway hes still only 23, a big body a great puck carrier and likely available as Dallas has a log jam of forwards and are likely trying to get into salary cap position to reup with Seguin

Bill Peters is more of the same. Let's get Jaques Lemaire Junior instead!

What makes him such a great fit for the Rangers? He has a losing record in the NHL as a head coach with a team that is very similar to the Rangers now. He hasn't made the playoffs, and Carolina plays one of the most boring games in the league.

That's not the point. It's one thing to suggest Peters isn't a fit. But to charge him as being much of the same while championing Boucher, of all coaches, is incredibly tone-deaf.

Boucher, by the way, is 169-150-41 in his coaching career. That's barely above .500.

And Peters is below .500 for his career in the NHL. Guy Boucher has worked with young teams, an gone to the conference finals in his 2 playoff appearances. I would say Guy is a better fit than Peters. You said that you suggested Peters as a possible coach for the Rangers, so Im asking why? Im saying he is one of the same because he is just like AV IMO, and I don't want more of the sane here. I didn't say Guy Boucher should be the coach here, but he is a better pick than Peters is.

I explained why in detail here: https://thehockeywriters.com/rangers-coach-options-vigneault-fired/

tl;dr version: smart, unconventional, strong work with young defense, analytics-oriented.

His teams, despite their records, have routinely lead the league in categories like zone entries and exits, as well as general corsi.

I'd be interested in giving Dallas Eakins another go at it. I agree that he inherited a kind of shit situation in Edmonton. Granted, the situation he'll inherit here won't be much better, but I remember at the time Edmonton hired him he was an exciting up-and-coming coach with innovative and creative/modern approaches to the game. While the defense is still an absolute MESS right now, there's no telling what we'll look like come August. He'll be off to a better start just by having a legit goalie to work with. Plus, we've shown pretty incredible (and often infuriating) patience with coaches before. He only got 113 games before Edmonton gave him the ax, which IMO is not a fair sample size. The Oilers have seemingly perpetually been a "young team" in recent years, and Eakins just missed out on having McDavid on his roster.

I'll admit to not knowing much about what his coaching style actually entails. I just remember the buzz words from when his name was circulating. But the prospect of having a coach sort of grow and evolve with his younger players is exciting to me. He's probably not on anybody's radar, but I wouldn't mind giving him a shot at all. I think he was doomed for failure in Edmonton, expected to somehow magically turn one of the league's worst teams in to a contender.

I explained why in detail here: https://thehockeywriters.com/rangers-coach-options-vigneault-fired/

tl;dr version: smart, unconventional, strong work with young defense, analytics-oriented.

His teams, despite their records, have routinely lead the league in categories like zone entries and exits, as well as general corsi.

This is exactly what AV was touted as. Im not an analytics guy, so for me, that really isn't anything a coach needs. We have no clue what the defense here is going to look like, and again, Carolina was one of the most boring teams to watch play under him. Offense from defense hasn't worked here yet, I don't see how brining in someone who plays that style is any better. Yes its a different voice in the room, but its a different voice pushing a very similar philosophy.

Archived