• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Ready to Assume 50% of McD, Nash Contracts; Tampa/Minnesota in the Mix

LindG1000

Well guess it had to happen, surprised it is public. Here we go.

One thing that has been known is Nash not wanting to go to Canada, whatever his reasons. One would think the circumstances in Toronto would make it an attractive spot to play. I bet he'd accept a trade there.

Josh, not sure Nash would strategically put teams on and off the list. More likely he'd just think of the 12 teams he'd most like to play for and play it straight. I think the Rangers are showing him respect and are playing it straight. Mgmt sure has been fair with our players. Nash is a stand-up guy, class act. I'd resign him at the right price. Maybe we can attract a few more college free agents with our good rep.

Of course he will! He did last time!

And now, he doesnt want to leave, he will be leaving his family... he wont accept a trade just to accept a trade. He will definitely look to be put in a good situation for the next few months. Although I listed 13 good options, I still dont think he will see all as realistic options, and will result in him adding a "few" of the Arizona/Edmonton/Sabres bunch so he can focus on going to a couple ideal spots.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course he will! He did last time!

And now, he doesnt want to leave, he will be leaving his family... he wont accept a trade just to accept a trade. He will definitely look to be put in a good situation for the next few months. Although I listed 13 good options, I still dont think he will see all as realistic options, and will result in him adding a "few" of the Arizona/Edmonton/Sabres bunch so he can focus on going to a couple ideal spots.

Don't know what happened "last time" and don't remember it being reported. Do you mean last year? Regardless we never were really gonna trade him, this is different, there is a very good chance.

Exactly. Phil, the idea I brought here in October was not hey we suck, let's trade McD. I came up with the idea because

A) I was inspired by Toronto fans vocal desire for a proven top pair dman to fill a void and lead a young playoff group to the next level.

B) McD is a Babcock kind of player and would fit their cap if they unloaded one of the upcoming big salaries on us.

C) The opportunity to get a dynamic young potential star and big point producer. Particularly, either Marner or Nylander, both whom I've followed and believe will be top-end players.

D) The Rangers would be better off with a young big contract than signing McD to a 7-8 year big money contract in 2020.

I Still feel the same way. This isn't about getting a bunch of OK prospects and very late 1s in a panic to sell now. Do that with Nash or Grabs, our current UFAs. With McD, we want a real chance at a star, not a couple of late first rounders and your 3rd and 5th best prospect.

Come on guys, lets get someone you can't wait to watch every game and see what he turns into. Nik Ehlers, Patrick Laine, Brady Tzachuk, Brayden Point, Pasternak, Marner, Nylander. There are others. Target one that is gettable.

Yes none of these guys except maybe the ones from Toronto are gettable. For Tampa maybe Sergachev, they won't trade Point. If Tampa does not go for Sergachev, fuck em. Why would we want to be ripped-off by Yzerman?

We need to target players.

You mean, yet again?

Ripped off one time......shame on you.

Ripped off a 2nd time......shame on me/us/Rangers

To avoid the same thing we saw with Girardi and Staal - big contracts during their "prime", injuries mounted, play dipped, etc.

my post from october (and most was written in July - so add games played and 2 injuries for McDonagh)

Over the summer I was toying around with writing out a lengthy piece regarding trading McDonagh. That's not going to happen, but here are some of my notes:

Due a contract

Current deal expires offseason 2019, 2 seasons remaining

Current cap hit $4.7 for 6 years sign on July 8, 2013

Expected cap hit $7m+ 7y

Recent comparables

Rangers history:

Girardi, Staal tenures - finales for both.

- Eventual wear down - mostly within the last 2/3 years for both

History of Rangers players breaking down around 30 years old:

- Staal is 30, 689 (reg) + 104 (playoffs) games played, (523 total 2 years ago) 2 concussions

- Girardi 33, 788 +122 games played (637 total 2 seasons ago, age 31)

- Klein 32, 627 + 73

- McD: 467 + 96 (563 total games played)

- - Turned 28 on June 13

History of rangers players breaking down (guys that aged with the rangers, or came here around ~30): Drury (34), Gomez(29 trade), Richards (just turned 34 at buyout), Girardi, Staal, Redden (last game as a ranger at 32)

~33 years old, thats 5 more seasons… sure, but its 3 years into a 7 year deal. Potential 4 years of $7m left on the books. Isnt this the exact problem thats been repeating season after season, the achilles heal of the rangers cap space? All contracts bought out with 3-5 years remaining

Past cup champions:

Need for a center (Crosby/Malkin, Kopitar, Toews (sharp/Richards,Kane, Hossa), Bergeron/Krejci

Potential targets - Duchene, RNH, Tavares

Penguins 2016-17 Defense (Shultz was best defenseman)

Nashville departed D (Weber, Suter, Klein, Jones)

Huge shift away from the "defense wins championships"

Rangers future:

Skjei - no doubt

Shattenkirk, smith signed for 4 years

Staal still a very capable of #4minutes, at worst. Even holding onto Holden adds affordable depth and versatility, as he can play either side and in all situations, if necessary.

Bereglazov, trade for Deangelo, Pionk, Day, Pedrie, Graves

- Past bottom pair dmen: McIlrath, Kampfer, Bickel, Raphael Diaz, Conor Allen, Justin Faulk, Dan Boyle, Matt Hunwick, Mike Kostka, Chris Summers, Adam Clendening

Offensive turnover (Kreider/Zucc longest tenure) has proven successful

McDonagh was with Staal when the rest of the corps was Eminger, Moore, Del Zotto, Hamrlik and Bickel

Our defense has been solid in the past with only McDonagh... Now you have Skjei, Smith for stability and Shatty for offense.

They don't HAVE to trade him. But by the time his contract runs out he will be 30 and probably seeking 6-7 years and probably 7-8 mil per year with a NMC. As we saw with Girardi and Staal that wasn't a great idea. However the rangers have plenty of time to figure that out. I think its more likely he is dealt at the draft

Honestly, even though I love Nash, and Grabner they should probably just move on to other teams. I don't see a reason to bring them back other than giving us an incredible home team discount. The Rangers should be looking down the road right now at 2-3 years at least. Those 2 guys have been fantastic for us, and I loved watching Nash here, but my belief is that I think it's going to be a few years before the players we bring in here and the draft picks we're about to acquire are going to have any type of chemistry to compete over the next 2 years at least.

TL/DR version: Let 'em go....Loved them while they were here but time to move forward with youth.

Honestly, even though I love Nash, and Grabner they should probably just move on to other teams. I don't see a reason to bring them back other than giving us an incredible home team discount. The Rangers should be looking down the road right now at 2-3 years at least. Those 2 guys have been fantastic for us, and I loved watching Nash here, but my belief is that I think it's going to be a few years before the players we bring in here and the draft picks we're about to acquire are going to have any type of chemistry to compete over the next 2 years at least.

TL/DR version: Let 'em go....Loved them while they were here but time to move forward with youth.

Normally, I'd agree 100%. However, if this rebuild/retool is done right (we'll need some luck) we could compete as soon as next year. We could have 3-5 picks in the top 40, potentially one of them really high. That's a lot of youth, especially when you add Chytil, Lias, Lettieri and Nieves and any other kid that might compete for a job next year. We are also likely to get a prospect or two in the potential upcoming trades.

So why consider bringing back Nash or Grabs. Because they play defense better than most players in the league. They are always a threat to generate offense off of defense.

Neither has lost a step with regard to speed. Speed and D will fit this team no matter who is the coach. They like it here and may be willing to take less years or $. I'd bring back Nash for 3 years ~4 mil or 4 years near 3.5 mil. Grabs 3 years 3.1 mil

Either would be great examples for the kids, especially if McD and/or Zuc are gone. Frankly, I'm not in the business of pissing away years to put together the perfect team. It is possible we could be a legit playoff team next year and this is not a roster (unlike Toronto) that needs a complete purge. A planned tank next year seems unlikely, to me absurd. If we are going to try to compete, bringing at least one of them back seems like a fine idea. I'd rather these guys mixed with the kids on the bottom six, then seeing Carey, Holland, DD or worse in the Mcloud/Glass waste of space.

Honestly, there are not really any players hitting 30 that I'd want the 2018 Rangers to add. These might be the only two, at the right price and term always.

Defense, speed, pk, they make us a better possession team, character and other intangibles are the key reasons. That is a rare group of traits, plus they love NY, play well with this team and I believe they are still hungry for a Cup.

Normally, I'd agree 100%. However, if this rebuild/retool is done right (we'll need some luck) we could compete as soon as next year. We could have 3-5 picks in the top 40, potentially one of them really high. That's a lot of youth, especially when you add Chytil, Lias, Lettieri and Nieves and any other kid that might compete for a job next year. We are also likely to get a prospect or two in the potential upcoming trades.

So why consider bringing back Nash or Grabs. Because they play defense better than most players in the league. They are always a threat to generate offense off of defense.

Neither has lost a step with regard to speed. Speed and D will fit this team no matter who is the coach. They like it here and may be willing to take less years or $. I'd bring back Nash for 3 years ~4 mil or 4 years near 3.5 mil. Grabs 3 years 3.1 mil

Either would be great examples for the kids, especially if McD and/or Zuc are gone. Frankly, I'm not in the business of pissing away years to put together the perfect team. It is possible we could be a legit playoff team next year and this is not a roster (unlike Toronto) that needs a complete purge. A planned tank next year seems unlikely, to me absurd. If we are going to try to compete, bringing at least one of them back seems like a fine idea. I'd rather these guys mixed with the kids on the bottom six, then seeing Carey, Holland, DD or worse in the Mcloud/Glass waste of space.

Grabner will be asking for more than $3.1 million, probably looking closer to $4-$4.5 million. Radulov makes $6.25 million, Jason Pominville gets $5.6 million, Troy Brouwer gets $4.5 million and he sucks. Grabner was on a very friendly contract of 2 years at $3.3 million and did better than expectations, he's going to want to make bank on probably his last big contract.

Grabner will be asking for more than $3.1 million, probably looking closer to $4-$4.5 million. Radulov makes $6.25 million, Troy Brouwer gets $4.5 million and he sucks. Grabner was on a very friendly contract of 2 years at $3.3 million and did better than expectations, he's going to want to make bank on probably his last big contract.

OK, good point.

3.5 ?

Radulov is on the top line pushing Seguin and Benn. He was the Habs best player last year.

Archived