• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Ready to Assume 50% of McD, Nash Contracts; Tampa/Minnesota in the Mix

LindG1000

Josh, you running with Brook's garble means you make no sense either.

The main reason salary is retained is the player is overpaid or the acquiring team just does not have the cap space. Two complete different scenarios and consequences. The former causes teams to discount the player, the latter adds even more value.

So here is a hint, McD is not overpaid. He is among the best bargains in the league. And the season is well past 50% over, so he is only due about 2m this year, as it is. Can anyone tell me why Brooks is even talking about retaining salary on McD? I assume it is yellow journalism or shitty 'say-anthing that sounds informed' writing.

Josh, one thing I can assure you is that the Ranger's are not in a panic. And if they were, the last person they'd tell that they are discussing retaining salary on McD is Brooks. If anything I worry the team has no sense of urgency to leverage their assets aggressively.

I dont read anything by Brooks. I made a simple comment so I have no idea what any of this is about.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not to me. Seems like a very smart move to get more teams involved. We have the space and will have even more space once Nash is gone. Retaining salary also guarantees a MASSIVE return.

He should already be getting a massive return.. And yes, I know why they retain salary on players. But its 2m ... thats not going to get you a shit more.

While retaining salary adds to the value, I don't think this team can afford to waste more cap space. Unless we are talking multiple first rounders and multiple top prospects AND a very good young roster player.
If you're trading roster players for prospects and ELC's then one season with ~$2.5M in empty cap hit is not an issue

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He should already be getting a massive return.. And yes, I know why they retain salary on players. But its 2m ... thats not going to get you a shit more.

I think we’re looking at a significantly reduced payroll next season if they decide to go full blowup mode. 2m won’t matter.

I’m not even completely sold on the idea of trading Mac but if they can get a bigger deal retaining payroll so be it.

I think we’re looking at a significantly reduced payroll next season if they decide to go full blowup mode. 2m won’t matter.

I’m not even completely sold on the idea of trading Mac but if they can get a bigger deal retaining payroll so be it.

I'm saying, you are NOT getting significantly more by eating 2m for 1 season, especially when it comes to a player of McDonagh's caliber. You are talking about the difference between a 5th and 6th round pick... some team isnt going to throw in another 1st for you to each 2m for a season.

You'd get more if you were willing to take a bad contract or salary in return.

I'm saying, you are NOT getting significantly more by eating 2m for 1 season, especially when it comes to a player of McDonagh's caliber. You are talking about the difference between a 5th and 6th round pick... some team isnt going to throw in another 1st for you to each 2m for a season.

You'd get more if you were willing to take a bad contract or salary in return.

Maybe. It depends on the team. I’m sure all options are open

Maybe. It depends on the team. I’m sure all options are open

If some team cant figure out how to get McDonagh's tiny little contract under their cap, then they dont want him enough to be giving up the assets to get him... hence why I said its a panic move.

We arent talking about eating 4m over 4 years. We are talking about a very small amount of money over a single season.

If you're trading roster players for prospects and ELC's then one season with ~$2.5M in empty cap hit is not an issue

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I guess not, but if they are planning on going for Tavares, they will need all the cap space they can get. Girardi's contract plus 2.5 is too much dead cap space for my liking.

Not to me. Seems like a very smart move to get more teams involved. We have the space and will have even more space once Nash is gone. Retaining salary also guarantees a MASSIVE return.

That's the reason. We don't need cap space this year so we can eat as much as we are allowed. I doubt we really want to eat some of McD salary next year. Unless the team we are trading with really needs the space and the compensation too good to pass up.

Puck is right, it opens up trading partners, no cap excuses. You wanna a big time D man that costs pennies, pony up Marner and Dermott.

Retaining cap seems more relevant to Nash.

I guess not, but if they are planning on going for Tavares, they will need all the cap space they can get. Girardi's contract plus 2.5 is too much dead cap space for my liking.

5.96 for next season. More than every one except Henrik and Shattenkirk

While retaining salary adds to the value, I don't think this team can afford to waste more cap space. Unless we are talking multiple first rounders and multiple top prospects AND a very good young roster player.

Sure they can. They're already well under the cap and will be again next year barring Tavares or a Staal buyout (which I'd wait another year on if they don't plan on trying to make the playoffs next season).

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think it's less about makeweighting his value and more about opening up the possibility for some other teams to trade for him.

I think it's less about makeweighting his value and more about opening up the possibility for some other teams to trade for him.

I know how it works.

Again, if a team cant clear minimal cap space for a proven #1D like McDonagh, then the shit they are offering is probably not what we should be trading a 1D for.

We arent talking about a 8m contract with 5 years left that teams cant fit, with a guy that is being pushed out, past his prime or needs a change of scenery.

Trading mcD has been talked about before. Trading him to Toronto is here:

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?19636-Rangers-Getting-Alarmingly-Close-to-Forcing-Jeff-Gorton-s-Hand/page3

See post #43 in thread above from October 16th

I apologize, thought you were taking credit for coming up with the original idea of trading McD, not the Toronto portion.

Which in turn can increase value by creating a bidding market. Even if it's just an extra third-round pick; the idea is to maximize return.

He was talking potential McD retained salary plus Girardi buyout...

Oh. That's the calc if retaining 50% of McD next year. Well I doubt the Rangers will need to retain any on McD next year. I'd imagine the team trading for him would plan to resign him before he hits UFA. And that will be for much more than 4.7.

Oh. That's the calc if retaining 50% of McD next year. Well I doubt the Rangers will need to retain any on McD next year. I'd imagine the team trading for him would plan to resign him before he hits UFA. And that will be for much more than 4.7.

Like a palindromic number. Sort of. You can pretty much inverse the digits IMO.

Archived