• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Does Islanders News Open Door on Tavares?

Sod16

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have a ton of players due big upgrades in the next few seasons.

They have Bozak and JVR coming off the books, both unlikely to re-sign. Komorov coming off, and he's a question mark.

THey have RFAs Carrick, Soshnikov and Nylander.

Following season they have Mathews, Marner, Kapanen, 3 additional forwards, 3 additional defenseman and a backup goaltender.

A few of those guys arent getting low-ball bridge deals. They are going to be in a pickle next July.

And theyll still go after Tavares.

Nobody said they have to resign everybody. Fact is they have 25 million in cap space this offseason. They easily let a couple walk...no problem.

Yes, but when you do this you have one guy taking up a huge chunk of cap leaving a smaller amount left to fill up how many spots? You have to take all of that into consideration. Plus there's also the reality that this team is rebuilding, which I don't think he would want a part of IMO

Yes, but when you do this you have one guy taking up a huge chunk of cap leaving a smaller amount left to fill up how many spots? You have to take all of that into consideration. Plus there's also the reality that this team is rebuilding, which I don't think he would want a part of IMO

The Leafs are past rebuilding.

I think Boychuk is actually pretty good. A very good compliment to a top pairing D man. Leddy as well. They will make about 500k to a mill more than they should, but its hardly a problem. DeHaan aint bad either. If these are the players you feel would be hard to move, I disagree big time.

Cizikas isnt a good but its hardly crippling the organization if they give him what you suggest.

Ladds deal is a killer. Eberle is not producing to that contract, and they have about a mill too much tied up in their goalie situation as it is.

Im not sure whats so hard about dumping a contract or two. If teams are willing to take on David Clarkson and Nathan Horton contracts, I dont see how nobody would take Leddy, Cizikis, or Clutterbuck.

Guys like Lee, they absolutely need to resign. Not sure about Eberle. They constantly have a rookie rotating into the lineup every season. So that can help them make decisions a little easier on some of these guys.

I think you're really underestimating how difficult it is to dump a bad contract. To do that, you're also going to have to give up a pick/prospect. The Horton-for-Clarkson trade was a once in a generation cap circumvention move that we're not likely to see again.

But besides all that, the point is that this team is terrible right now, and with all the cap committed already, they can't do a whole lot to address their biggest problems. Signing JT long-term does nothing to remedy that, but trading him could go a long way. If your plan is to just dump some of the bad contracts and buy UFAs to fix all the roster problems, then they're going to have the same issues moving forward.

I think you're really underestimating how difficult it is to dump a bad contract. To do that, you're also going to have to give up a pick/prospect. The Horton-for-Clarkson trade was a once in a generation cap circumvention move that we're not likely to see again.

But besides all that, the point is that this team is terrible right now, and with all the cap committed already, they can't do a whole lot to address their biggest problems. Signing JT long-term does nothing to remedy that, but trading him could go a long way. If your plan is to just dump some of the bad contracts and buy UFAs to fix all the roster problems, then they're going to have the same issues moving forward.

I was blasted for saying that signing Miller to a long term deal early on would be a mistak. The attitude here by some, was that any contract is moveable, especially if they are under 30.

Im not seeing how a Ciziikis or Clutterbuck would be some immovable contract. Ladd? Yes. Thats a bad one. I think Leddy or Boychuk are EASILY moved if they wanted or had to, and they don't.

Im hoping the Isles dont bring back JT, I really think the Rsngers have a shot at him and could right this ship while not going gull blast in FA to fill the roster. You dump McD for one of the Toronto kids. You dump Zuc for cost controlled D man. Same with Miller and the roster has potential to look like this

Kreider- JT- Nylander

Firesale/ FA- Chytil- Zib

Kid- Andersson- Fast

Nieves and whooooooo cares

Skjei- Shattenkirk

Firesale- Kid/Smith

Staal- Firesale/ Kid

Who said dump a bad contract? Look at the players the Penguins and Hawks have unloaded since their first cups.

Not to keep piling on, but when we look at good teams, they've never been afraid to move key players they knew they either couldn't afford or couldn't have the sort of long-term impact they needed.

The Blackhawks traded Byfuglien, Ladd, Saad, Panarin (to get Saad back), Shaw, Teravainen, Hjalmarsson, Sharp, Leddy, Bolland, Frolik, Brouwer, Versteeg.

The Penguins traded James Neal, ManBearPig, Jordan Staal, Goligoski, Whitney, Armstrong.

Not that we need to be so active, but the point stands.

^ From some McDonagh thread, maybe McD & Zucc as trade bait

I presented exactly this proposition to a Norwegian friend who is an Isles-fan.He is also an ex hockey player with a much deeper understanding of the NHL than myself. His answer was somewhat surprising but undeniably

of at least statistical significance: ' How often during the last 30 years have you seen Isles and Rangers trade players

notwithstanding AHL and lower-leagues? They happen extremely rare on NHL-level'

Larry Brooks periodically mentions that the Rangers and Islanders have never exchanged NHL players. I believe the only transfer of an NHL player might have been the Rangers sale of Ron Stewart to the Islanders early in the latter's first season.

Larry Brooks periodically mentions that the Rangers and Islanders have never exchanged NHL players. I believe the only transfer of an NHL player might have been the Rangers sale of Ron Stewart to the Islanders early in the latter's first season.

They got a dman a few years ago. Name is escaping me. Tall guy, played in Hartford.

I think those were the only 2

(I looked it up a few months ago)

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/rangers-get-blueliner-niemi-from-isles/c-530129

New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has acquired defenseman Jyri Niemi from the New York Islanders in exchange for a sixth-round pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

The Rangers and Islanders last completed a trade on Nov. 14, 1972, when the Rangers sent right wing Ron Stewart to the Islanders in exchange for cash.

That fuck wore a Ranger jersey.

Don't recall seeing a lot of customized Rangers Pilon jerseys selling at Cosby's.

JT is wasting his career. It will be the fourth year of his contract before he sees the new arena. Until then, it's ride the bus between the Nassau Mausoleum crowds of 10,000 at Barclays. They've got some good players, but they are at best a middling team overall. Go ahead and sign JT. You may have a 20 year career with this team and never so much as play in the conference finals.

Mike Commodore

Verified account

@commie22

17m17 minutes ago

More

John Tavares and Vladimir Tarasenko....#PackYourShit and switch jerseys. #Insiderrr

time will tell but he's gotten some of the bigger deals right over the last couple of years. I don't see this one happening.

Josh Bailey going to sign five million a year for five years ,and he happens to be JT best friend and linemate ,you could write it down JT staying with the icelanders

I?ll bet you 900 rep points JT leaves LI. I?ll bet you another 300 that he becomes a Ranger.

Don't recall seeing a lot of customized Rangers Pilon jerseys selling at Cosby's.

JT is wasting his career. It will be the fourth year of his contract before he sees the new arena. Until then, it's ride the bus between the Nassau Mausoleum crowds of 10,000 at Barclays. They've got some good players, but they are at best a middling team overall. Go ahead and sign JT. You may have a 20 year career with this team and never so much as play in the conference finals.

The split home games is a joke. They draw 13K no matter what, let them do it at the refurbished shithole.

Tarasenko ins't enough. Nylander and Marner and more...may be.

Archived