• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Should Look at Options on UFAs, May Be Willing to Listen on Zucc, McD

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sad part is they did suck for 7 straight years and they didnt even try to suck, it was just poor management choices

Still didn't suck bad enough to get a decent draft pick. There was the Brendl and Lundmark draft, then Cherrpanov at 17 in 07. They never sucked enough. Just like the ex...

^The Buffalo lesson is a good reminder about how the ship can go down even with a good crew...not saying Buffalo has the best players, just that they did have the benefit of picking high and it doesn't appear as if a Cup is arriving soon.

But without a guy like Nash or any true first line talent, they already are Buffalo but with an all star goalie, and higher priced mediocre talent. They match up pretty similar with Buffalo maybe having the advantage of being younger and a little more talented... I'd trade the Rangers future for Buffalo's in a second.. But I'd rather make a playoff push with this squad with a couple additions. .

Thank you for compiling these numbers. They should disabuse anyone of the notion that a successful rebuild is going to be initiated by trading proven NHL players for draft picks in the 20-30 overall range. Selling at the deadline is a good idea when you are out of the playoffs and you have a UFA who you don't think you can resign. It doesn't make that much sense otherwise. That's why there is often less activity at the deadline than the pundits would like to conjure up. If they don't think they can sign Nash and they are five points out of a playoff spot, fine, trade him for a late first rounder and a decent prospect. But trading quality players like McD and Z36 who are not to be UFAs for picks is a recipe for rapid profound decline for an extended period. It seems like a lot of posters want to Buffalo-ize this team (and then when they miss the playoffs five years in a row, they can grouse and stop watching).

Who is asking the team to trade mcd and zucc? The only trades that have to happen is that of their ufas and that is IF they are not resigned before the deadline. Other than that listening to offers for somebody like mcd makes sense. If they are not blown away then hold onto him. If Toronto like somebody here has said and has been speculated by brooks and other nhl writers offers Marner or Nylander, a top prospect, and a 1 and 2. Then it would be hard to say no.

That scenario though is far from selling him off for unknowns and draft picks. Either Marner or Nylander would instantly give the rangers a dynamic game breaker who is under 23. If the prospect is lillegren or kapanen then they are immediately playing and should be contributing from day 1. The picks are sweeteners and should be viewed as such.

If they can’t get a deal like that then don’t do anything.

The ufas are a totally different issue. They will not be here anyway next year. Is there a chance you resign them during the summer? Of course. But to hold onto them and risk getting nothing is poor roster asset management. It doesn’t matter if it takes 5 years for the draft pick to pay off. Hopefully they can get s prospect who’s closer than that. Regardless if the ufa is gone anyway what difference does it make? Those added picks and prospects can be used as currency this summer to improve next years team if they so choose. Schenn for instance was traded for basically two late first round picks. I’m not evaluating that trade I’m just pointing out that the picks and prospects can be flipped this summer.

But without a guy like Nash or any true first line talent, they already are Buffalo but with an all star goalie, and higher priced mediocre talent. They match up pretty similar with Buffalo maybe having the advantage of being younger and a little more talented... I'd trade the Rangers future for Buffalo's in a second.. But I'd rather make a playoff push with this squad with a couple additions. .

Dude you’re all over the place. Are you ok with selling anybody but butch and skeij or do you want to add and make a playoff push?

Nash is no longer a 1st line talent

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He's the closest thing this team has to one. Frankly he's sure been playing like one in the last two weeks. Wouldn't be surprised if the numbers say different than what your opinion is, at the end of the season.

He?s 12th on the team in PPG?

Not sure how that equates to first line player.

And what?s he done in last 2 weeks? In the last 16 games he has two beauty?s....the other 14 games he had 1 assist.

Sad irony, outside of maybe Hank, Grabs has been our best player. Only guy playing to his level (and now scoring) is Nash.

Trading them implodes the this year's team. Unfortunately, it appears the Rangers are going to struggle on the road. This roadtrip was gonna tell the story for me. They have key injuries and key holes. To many meh role players. We are not looking like a playoff team.

Not coincidentally, Grabs and Nash are our best defensive forwards. Adding 20g and 16G respectively. Getting a first for each, would be the minimum cost.

Sad irony, outside of maybe Hank, Grabs has been our best player. Only guy playing to his level (and now scoring) is Nash.

Trading them implodes the this year's team. Unfortunately, it appears the Rangers are going to struggle on the road. This roadtrip was gonna tell the story for me. They have key injuries and key holes. To many meh role players. We are not looking like a playoff team.

Not coincidentally, Grabs and Nash are our best defensive forwards. Adding 20g and 16G respectively. Getting a first for each, would be the minimum cost.

Good points.

With Miller and, to a lesser extent, Vesey stapled to bench last night (Deservedly so) it doesn't bode well for the next guys that are to carry the torch.

They really need to move on from Miller the more I think about it.

Agreed. I've argued in the past that they were guilty for not locking him up long-term but I far I was wrong about that. He doesn't play a game consistent enough to warrant the ticket he's going to get this summer. I think I'd rather flip him like Zibanejad/Brassard for another young asset.

Problem with Miller & Zuccs for that matter is nobody in the league holds them in the same value as the Rangers do.

Well, we don't know that though when talking with all my friends who follow hockey very closely but don't give a shit about the Rangers.... They don't even know who he is.

Agreed. I've argued in the past that they were guilty for not locking him up long-term but I far I was wrong about that. He doesn't play a game consistent enough to warrant the ticket he's going to get this summer. I think I'd rather flip him like Zibanejad/Brassard for another young asset.

I like the idea you floated the other day, trade our 15ish pick and Miller to get wayyy up there and have a shot at some real premium talent.

Archived