• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Nash for Picks in the 2018 Draft?

jsm7302

You don’t know that. So is chytil a shitty prospect because he was a Kate first round pick. How about Buchnevich is he horrible? That’s just two. When was skeij picked? Do we really need to do this? The rangers aren’t getting a generational talent for them no shit. But the just the rangers roster is loaded with guys picked mid to late in the first two rounds. Could we use another miller? Is that player enough to win them a cup, no. But they sure could use more of players of that caliber especially when a player of that caliber is making peanuts for three years.

You guys just can’t wait the two or three years for that player to be here at the expense of a week longer season today. That’s fine but

NO actually what we're saying is the team will be terrible for the 2 or 3 years while we wait for these pick to, key word here, hopefully develop. On top of that, 3 years down the road we'll be having this same conversation at the deadline, only well be talking about trading Miller or Zib or Krieder.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a pretty good chance that player will never make it here, and even if he does it will be in a role that could be filled by many other options.

Prospect attrition is very high and why I'm never to hung up on trading or trading for a late 1st rounder.

I believe it's wiser to get while the gettins' good, which is right now.

You don’t know that. So is chytil a shitty prospect because he was a Kate first round pick. How about Buchnevich is he horrible? That’s just two. When was skeij picked? Do we really need to do this? The rangers aren’t getting a generational talent for them no shit. But the just the rangers roster is loaded with guys picked mid to late in the first two rounds. Could we use another miller? Is that player enough to win them a cup, no. But they sure could use more of players of that caliber especially when a player of that caliber is making peanuts for three years.

You guys just can’t wait the two or three years for that player to be here at the expense of a week longer season today. That’s fine but

We dont have a prospect pool or good players or good young players because we dont have draft picks. You already stated that.

Yes I don’t want them to win or be competitive. Good call. If you want to move Holden or dd go ahead. If the rangers can get back a decent return for either Nash or Grabner that aren’t prospects but are on friendly contracts then great do it.

Those two are most likely gone this summer for nothing. Why is that so hard to understand? If they stay then somebody else is gone because of the cap. How is it being pessimistic to want to get something for them before losing them for nothing? They are in the mix for a playoff spot based solely on their goaltending. They are not playing good hockey they are mediocre. They play 20 minutes a night. That is what they are. Can you dispute that? I’m not the one calling for a scratch off mentality. Praying for a miracle run is that mentality. The cost of that prayer is losing two valuable players for nothing making you worse next season and beyond. Not trading them is not Armageddon but they can better position themselves by doing so for next year and beyond. You want to roll the dice great. I don’t. I see it as just more of what hasn’t worked. I see it as closing their window as opposed to extending it. The rangers have left themselves rather bare compared to their piers by doing this over the past decade. I didn’t disagree with going for it in some of those years but at some point you need to rebuild that cupboard. This year instead of going for it I think it’s best for long term success to this year to recoup assets for those you are sure to lose anyway.

What I stated is that our prospect pool is weak compared to their piers. Players playing in the NHL’s are not prospects especially when they are no longer on a elc. Anderson and chytil are a good start. But they could always use more especially at the expense of two guys you are going to lose for nothing

Yes I don’t want them to win or be competitive. Good call. If you want to move Holden or dd go ahead. If the rangers can get back a decent return for either Nash or Grabner that aren’t prospects but are on friendly contracts then great do it.

Those two are most likely gone this summer for nothing. Why is that so hard to understand? If they stay then somebody else is gone because of the cap. How is it being pessimistic to want to get something for them before losing them for nothing? They are in the mix for a playoff spot based solely on their goaltending. They are not playing good hockey they are mediocre. They play 20 minutes a night. That is what they are. Can you dispute that? I’m not the one calling for a scratch off mentality. Praying for a miracle run is that mentality. The cost of that prayer is losing two valuable players for nothing making you worse next season and beyond. Not trading them is not Armageddon but they can better position themselves by doing so for next year and beyond. You want to roll the dice great. I don’t. I see it as just more of what hasn’t worked. I see it as closing their window as opposed to extending it. The rangers have left themselves rather bare compared to their piers by doing this over the past decade. I didn’t disagree with going for it in some of those years but at some point you need to rebuild that cupboard. This year instead of going for it I think it’s best for long term success to this year to recoup assets for those you are sure to lose anyway.

Give that enter key a couple taps. Paragraphs are good.

There is no bigger roll of the dice than the draft...

I don?t see why it?s so farfetched to want to trade Nash or anyone else with an expiring contract for prospects or picks if you believe the team isn?t good enough to win the whole thing. It was already said that top heavy seems to win, how else do you get there?

I personally don?t feel they are near close, if they do happen to make their way in the playoffs, I don?t see them getting out of the first round. Especially with their blue line, lacking a good centerman and powerplay. But that?s me, heck I would even entertain offers for McD at this point.

I don’t see why it’s so farfetched to want to trade Nash or anyone else with an expiring contract for prospects or picks if you believe the team isn’t good enough to win the whole thing. It was already said that top heavy seems to win, how else do you get there?

I personally don’t feel they are near close, if they do happen to make their way in the playoffs, I don’t see them getting out of the first round. Especially with their blue line, lacking a good centerman and powerplay. But that’s me, heck I would even entertain offers for McD at this point.

For me, being in the playoffs usually means your a contender... unless your team is terrible and lucked out (nope) or there is multiple "scary good" teams in your conference (nope).

I'll trade them for upgrades, sure.

I'll trade anyone for an upgrade.

General question. Pray tell. What " picks " will Na$h or Grabner actually bring?

Maybe Nash can get you a late first (probably next year) with another pick or prospect.

Grabner might get you a 2nd. More likely a later pick and a "change of scenery" prospect

I don?t see why it?s so farfetched to want to trade Nash or anyone else with an expiring contract for prospects or picks if you believe the team isn?t good enough to win the whole thing. It was already said that top heavy seems to win, how else do you get there?

I personally don?t feel they are near close, if they do happen to make their way in the playoffs, I don?t see them getting out of the first round. Especially with their blue line, lacking a good centerman and powerplay. But that?s me, heck I would even entertain offers for McD at this point.

Now we're trading our #1 d-man/captain while we're in playoff position? Talk about giving up on your team. The remaining players would mutiny.

If they fall out of the playoff picture over the next month then sure, anything is possible. All offers are on the table, although we'd probably get a better return trading McD and Zucc prior to the draft instead of at the deadline.

But....

Its just as likely we find ourselves in 2nd place in the division by the end of the month so we'll have to wait and see.

Now we're trading our #1 d-man/captain while we're in playoff position? Talk about giving up on your team. The remaining players would mutiny.

If they fall out of the playoff picture over the next month then sure, anything is possible. All offers are on the table, although we'd probably get a better return trading McD and Zucc prior to the draft instead of at the deadline.

But....

Its just as likely we find ourselves in 2nd place in the division by the end of the month so we'll have to wait and see.

Again, what?s wrong with rebuilding? Trading McD has been brought up multiple times and isn?t so outlandish as you may think. The only reason this team is where it is, is because of the goaltender, who btw will be 36 in about a month and a half. The roster has major flaws that won?t be easily corrected through free agency in a cap world. In my opinion, the window has closed and it?s time to start over. Unfortunately you can?t trade Lundqvist?s contract, so you start rebuilding with the next best thing - McD, who also isn?t getting younger, there?s already a ton of miles and some injuries on those skates.

Maybe Nash can get you a late first (probably next year) with another pick or prospect.

Grabner might get you a 2nd. More likely a later pick and a "change of scenery" prospect

So, the NYR give up 2 roster players for a potential might or maybe? I'm surely not a fan of Na$h but giving either away for a potential, who knows what, is foolish, imo.

Exactly my point.

Again, what’s wrong with rebuilding? Trading McD has been brought up multiple times and isn’t so outlandish as you may think. The only reason this team is where it is, is because of the goaltender, who btw will be 36 in about a month and a half. The roster has major flaws that won’t be easily corrected through free agency in a cap world. In my opinion, the window has closed and it’s time to start over. Unfortunately you can’t trade Lundqvist’s contract, so you start rebuilding with the next best thing - McD, who also isn’t getting younger, there’s already a ton of miles and some injuries on those skates.

There's nothing wrong with rebuilding. You just don't do it in the middle of the season, when you're in the playoffs.

Why does Hank's age still get brought up? He's been the best goalie in the league since pretty much the middle of October.

With the UFA contracts gone, they will have the money to try and sign Tavares (bonafide super star #1 center). If they can and choose to clear more salary from Smith and Staal, they also have the money to sign John Carlson (bonafide top pairing RHD). Two glaring holes filled through free agency in a cap world. They're both still under 30. (Doing so would also mean trading Hayes for those that want to add more to the prospect pool.)

I think it?s more foolish to let him walk for nothing. You don?t agree fine. But the responses to this is like you?d be tearing it all down. He?s gone anyway at the end of the season anyway. What is so crazy or pessimistic about that?

Pessimistic: tending to see the worst aspect of things or believe that the worst will happen.

You've stated multiple times that the team sucks and won't get out of the first round. Pretty much fits the definition of pessimistic to a T.

Pessimistic: tending to see the worst aspect of things or believe that the worst will happen.

You've stated multiple times that the team sucks and won't get out of the first round. Pretty much fits the definition of pessimistic to a T.

Realist: a person who accepts a situation as it is and is prepared to deal with it accordingly

Edit: sorry, I thought this post was directed at me

Realist: a person who accepts a situation as it is and is prepared to deal with it accordingly

The Rangers are currently in playoff position with an 8-6-1 record against current Eastern playoff teams. So, being realistic, we should think that the Rangers are capable of having some playoff success.

There's nothing wrong with rebuilding. You just don't do it in the middle of the season, when you're in the playoffs.

Why does Hank's age still get brought up? He's been the best goalie in the league since pretty much the middle of October.

With the UFA contracts gone, they will have the money to try and sign Tavares (bonafide super star #1 center). If they can and choose to clear more salary from Smith and Staal, they also have the money to sign John Carlson (bonafide top pairing RHD). Two glaring holes filled through free agency in a cap world. They're both still under 30. (Doing so would also mean trading Hayes for those that want to add more to the prospect pool.)

My point about Lundqvist is that he?s the only reason we are at this point but with his age, history shows that players decline with age, as good as he?s been this year, the decline will begin shortly, in my opinion. Only Tom Brady seems to defy the age aspect.

As for your scenario, although I think it?s a stretch, I?ll bite, but again we are talking about next season. Do we agree this team is not a true contender as its currently constructed? If the contracts are going to be gone anyway, why not try to get something for them this year before losing for absolutely nothing.

The Rangers are currently in playoff position with an 8-6-1 record against current Eastern playoff teams. So, being realistic, we should think that the Rangers are capable of having some playoff success.

Some being the key word. That leads me to believe that even you aren?t sold on them being a true contender.

Archived