• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Nash for Picks in the 2018 Draft?

jsm7302

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Before you go selling off Nash or Grabner for a contender's 24th overall first round pick, please review all of the players picked in that slot between say 5 and 15 years ago. What are your chances of getting a excellent impact player? What are your chances of getting nothing? If you keep Nash and he ends up signing elsewhere, you are not getting nothing. You are getting. $7.8 million in cap space

Before you go selling off Nash or Grabner for a contender's 24th overall first round pick, please review all of the players picked in that slot between say 5 and 15 years ago. What are your chances of getting a excellent impact player? What are your chances of getting nothing? If you keep Nash and he ends up signing elsewhere, you are not getting nothing. You are getting. $7.8 million in cap space

We wont need that cap space come deadline.

That money is already allotted to re-signing RFA.

Its not like you cleared up almost 8m that you can use to sign a FA or 2. That money is already being spent.

Assuming current trends continue and the Rangers are still competitive in a month, there is ZERO possibility that they will be trading either Grabner or Nash. It's just not going to happen.

They as much a contender this year as any other. There isn't a single team in this conference they can't beat. I don't understand the rationale.

Assuming current trends continue and the Rangers are still competitive in a month, there is ZERO possibility that they will be trading either Grabner or Nash. It's just not going to happen.

They as much a contender this year as any other. There isn't a single team in this conference they can't beat. I don't understand the rationale.

The next two months are super interesting/stupid schedule wise and will decide their fate.

After the upcoming back to back against ARI and Vegas we have 5 days off heading into a stretch of 8 games in 13 days, which ends with a 4 game west coast road trip. Following that stretch there is a 6 day break. That break leads into a 10 game in 18 day stretch which ends a week before the trade deadline.

The next two months are super interesting/stupid schedule wise and will decide their fate.

After the upcoming back to back against ARI and Vegas we have 5 days off heading into a stretch of 8 games in 13 days, which ends with a 4 game west coast road trip. Following that stretch there is a 6 day break. That break leads into a 10 game in 18 day stretch which ends a week before the trade deadline.

18-1-1 :bravery:

DAM !!! that's a lot of time off

OK. I looked it up. 23rd overall picks for 2003-2012:

Ryan Kesler

Anrej Mezaros

Nicklaus Begfors

Semyon Varlamov

Jonathon Blum

Tyler Cuma

Tim Erixon

Mark Pysyk

Joe Morrow

Mike Maltheson

Trade a good player for the 23rd pick, and you get a one in ten chance at a Ryan Kesler. You also get a better than one in ten chance at a Tim Erixon.

Ryan Kesler

Anrej Mezaros

Nicklaus Begfors

Semyon Varlamov

Jonathon Blum

Tyler Cuma

Tim Erixon

Mark Pysyk

Joe Morrow

Mike Maltheson

Trade a good player for the 23rd pick, and you get a one in ten chance at a Ryan Kesler. You also get a better than one in ten chance at a Tim Erixon.

What does the 23rd pick have to do with anything ?

Ryan Kesler

Anrej Mezaros

Nicklaus Begfors

Semyon Varlamov

Jonathon Blum

Tyler Cuma

Tim Erixon

Mark Pysyk

Joe Morrow

Mike Maltheson

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-expected-value-of-nhl-draft-picks-1.317819

Statistically Speaking: Expected value of NHL Draft picks

From 2015

No. 23

Average Rating: 4.60

Best: Ray Whitney, Todd Bertuzzi, Ryan Kesler

Worst: Mikka Elomo, Craig Hillier, Tyler Cuma

Ranked 7 or better: 33.3%

Ranked 5 or worse: 57.1%

At least 100 NHL games (or extremely likely): 71.4%

10 - Generational

9 - Elite Player

8 - First Line, Top Pair D

7 - Top Six Forward, Top Four D

6 - Top Nine Forward, Top Six D

5 - NHL Regular, 350+ NHL games

4 - Fringe NHLer, 200+ NHL games

3 - Very Good Minor Leaguer, 50-200 NHL games

2 - Minor Leaguer, under 50 NHL games

1 - 10 or fewer NHL games

Rip the band-aid off and let it bleed...

So, honest question: if we're not trading them, do you resign Grabner for 5m like they talked about last night? Do you resign Nash for 5m? If you say "yes" then I can see your point. If you want those guys back then I get where you're coming from. I don't agree - but I get it.

But what I don't understand is the idea that you can't move them because this team is in a playoff position and their removal will make the team weaker.

So what? Why are we so afraid to suck? Why would you possibly desire a 7th or 8th place finish and another playoff whimper instead of a 1st rounder (or a slew of prospects) and a hope for the future?

Stepan is gone, Girardi is gone, Hank is 35, times are changing. That team from 2014 is dead. The sooner we realize that, the sooner we can all move on. The Rangers need to stop living in "Hank's Window" and take a look around at reality. The longer they kick the can, the further down the black hole we go. The Dark Ages were not built by last place teams. They were built by teams that barely missed the playoffs. Learn from history. See the writing on the wall. Get something for Nash/Grabner because they are over 30 and the most valuable pieces available.

If the East was any good and had teams that were flat out unbeatable, I'd agree with you. I happen to think this team with some tinkering can be a legit contender.

I'd think about bringing Nash and Grabner back. I would. And like I said, I'd deal Miller and Hayes for D help.

Lundqvist is playing back to his capabilities. I ride a top goalie on his game. I don't trade young assets for a rental, nor do I pack it in and give up on the season. I'd trade young assets for equally young if not slightly older assets that fill needs. Like a center, a scorer or a Dman.

Now if they play .500 till the trade deadline...... Yeah I sell everything. As is? They don't look any worse than anyone in the conference.

Ryan Kesler

Anrej Mezaros

Nicklaus Begfors

Semyon Varlamov

Jonathon Blum

Tyler Cuma

Tim Erixon

Mark Pysyk

Joe Morrow

Mike Maltheson

Why limit is to the 23rd pick? What about 20 - 30 in those years? Limiting it to 23 relies on the drafting ability and organizational needs of the specific team drafting in that specific spot in that specific year...

Rip the band-aid off and let it bleed...

So what? Why are we so afraid to suck? Why would you possibly desire a 7th or 8th place finish and another playoff whimper instead of a 1st rounder (or a slew of prospects) and a hope for the future?

Stepan is gone, Girardi is gone, Hank is 35, times are changing. That team from 2014 is dead. The sooner we realize that, the sooner we can all move on. The Rangers need to stop living in "Hank's Window" and take a look around at reality. The longer they kick the can, the further down the black hole we go. The Dark Ages were not built by last place teams. They were built by teams that barely missed the playoffs. Learn from history. See the writing on the wall. Get something for Nash/Grabner because they are over 30 and the most valuable pieces available.

And fuck, I'll put this here to. Draft picks don't guarantee shit.

Like winning the cup is so easy? Rebuilding is a guaranteed cup?

Of the last 9 cups, Pitt and Chicago account for 6.

Chicago first won in 2009-2010. Prior to that, from 1997 to 2008 (12 years) they absolutely sucked. Record of 343 - 414 - 145. 7th fewest wins in the league. Between 1997 and 2005, they had 8 top 15 draft picks and they still sucked enough to draft Toews #3 in 2006 and Kane #1 in 2007. Is that what you want the Rangers to do? Suck miserably until they luck into drafting a Toews and a Kane?

Pittsburgh first won in 2008-2009. Prior to that, from 2001 to 2006 they had the FEWEST wins in the NHL. 100 - 178 - 50. During those 5 years they drafted #5, #1, #2, #1, #2. They were lucky enough to draft two players better than Toews and Kane in Malkin and Crosby. They got lucky that there was generational talent available to coincide with the beginning of their suckiness.

See Edmonton for what 8 straight top 10 picks will do without generational talent, Buffalo has had 5 straight. Arizona has had 8 picks in the top 8 (including the #7 they traded to us) in the past 13 drafts.

Let's see...Washington had 12 first round picks between 2002 and 2007, to include a #1, #4, and #5. They haven't won a cup or as many playoff games as the Rangers.

What else...The Trashers/Jets are finally having a good year. Since their inception in 1998 - 1999 to 2015 - 2016 they went 518 - 593 - 167. That's second worst in the league for 17 years. They had 2 #1 picks; 3 #2 picks; 1 each #3, #4, #7, and #10; 2 each #8 and #9. That's 13 top ten picks with an overall playoff record of 0 - 8. Fan-fucking-tastic to have to live through that if your a fan of theirs.

Fuck rebuilding, I'd rather watch playoff hockey.

And fuck, I'll put this here to. Draft picks don't guarantee shit.

Like winning the cup is so easy? Rebuilding is a guaranteed cup?

Of the last 9 cups, Pitt and Chicago account for 6.

Chicago first won in 2009-2010. Prior to that, from 1997 to 2008 (12 years) they absolutely sucked. Record of 343 - 414 - 145. 7th fewest wins in the league. Between 1997 and 2005, they had 8 top 15 draft picks and they still sucked enough to draft Toews #3 in 2006 and Kane #1 in 2007. Is that what you want the Rangers to do? Suck miserably until they luck into drafting a Toews and a Kane?

Pittsburgh first won in 2008-2009. Prior to that, from 2001 to 2006 they had the FEWEST wins in the NHL. 100 - 178 - 50. During those 5 years they drafted #5, #1, #2, #1, #2. They were lucky enough to draft two players better than Toews and Kane in Malkin and Crosby. They got lucky that there was generational talent available to coincide with the beginning of their suckiness.

See Edmonton for what 8 straight top 10 picks will do without generational talent, Buffalo has had 5 straight. Arizona has had 8 picks in the top 8 (including the #7 they traded to us) in the past 13 drafts.

Let's see...Washington had 12 first round picks between 2002 and 2007, to include a #1, #4, and #5. They haven't won a cup or as many playoff games as the Rangers.

What else...The Trashers/Jets are finally having a good year. Since their inception in 1998 - 1999 to 2015 - 2016 they went 518 - 593 - 167. That's second worst in the league for 17 years. They had 2 #1 picks; 3 #2 picks; 1 each #3, #4, #7, and #10; 2 each #8 and #9. That's 13 top ten picks with an overall playoff record of 0 - 8. Fan-fucking-tastic to have to live through that if your a fan of theirs.

Fuck rebuilding, I'd rather watch playoff hockey.

You have become my favorite poster lately. Agreed agreed agreed agreed agreed agreed agreed.

This team can not she'd Lundqvist, and they will not rebuild and suck until he is gone. Shit, it probably won't happen then either. Im not convinced that they have to.

Sure, lets do more of the same. Because that's gotten us...how many Cups exactly in the past 75 years? But yeah, screw trying to rebuild, because what we're doing obviously works. The team is mediocre, with several glaring deficiencies, no assets to trade (so good luck pulling Joe Thornton at the deadline, unless you're going to send Miller and Skjei the other way, and by the sound of it some people would love that move), no blue-chip prospects to speak of, and a starting goalie pushing 35. Future's bright people. Real bright. I'm sure we're only one piece away this year too. Who's the next Nash/Yandle/Eric Staal/MSL to put this team over the top finally?

Nash more than likely won't be on this roster come next season.

Grabner i'd say has a 50/50 chance. Unless something drastic happens, I'd probably look at moving Nash before the deadline.

He's currently 12th on this team in scoring.

He is no longer a key part of this teams success, factor in his typical playoff performance, I doubt he makes much difference post season compared to slotting someone else up/in.

Sure, lets do more of the same. Because that's gotten us...how many Cups exactly in the past 75 years? But yeah, screw trying to rebuild, because what we're doing obviously works. The team is mediocre, with several glaring deficiencies, no assets to trade (so good luck pulling Joe Thornton at the deadline, unless you're going to send Miller and Skjei the other way, and by the sound of it some people would love that move), no blue-chip prospects to speak of, and a starting goalie pushing 35. Future's bright people. Real bright. I'm sure we're only one piece away this year too. Who's the next Nash/Yandle/Eric Staal/MSL to put this team over the top finally?

First, the 1 cup in 75 years argument is annoying. Its pointless. We're still mad about the 40's, 50's, and 60's? It was Montreal and Toronto then everyone else. Get over it. Its ancient history. The Isles and Oilers dominated the 80's. I mean people act like every team but the rangers has won the cup recently. Only 10 teams have won a cup since 94. That means 2/3's of the league is worse off than the Rangers. You think Toronto cares about all those cups in the O6 right now? Its been 49 years.

Second, our starting goalie pushing 35, despite the several glaring deficiencies, is 3rd in wins, 5th in GAA, and 5th in SV% since the start of November so I don't really think we need to beat the Hank sucks now dead horse any longer.

Third, the future is bright. Gorton is making the right moves. How anyone looks at trading Stepan for a pick and a prospect and thinks we're doing the same old shit is beyond me. No team in any sport is ever going to trade their way out of the playoffs. You wanna talk about trading McD, Zucc, or Hayes this summer let's do it, but as long as they are in the playoffs they aren't trading a roster player for futures.

Guaranteed first-round pick from a contender. Anything less and they sold for seventy cents on the dollar.

Yes, if he's traded before the deadline.

If as the OP suggests, he is traded at the draft I think he brings a lot less, as teams could say, "why trade the farm, when we can wait for free agency?"

First, the 1 cup in 75 years argument is annoying. Its pointless. We're still mad about the 40's, 50's, and 60's? It was Montreal and Toronto then everyone else. Get over it. Its ancient history. The Isles and Oilers dominated the 80's. I mean people act like every team but the rangers has won the cup recently. Only 10 teams have won a cup since 94. That means 2/3's of the league is worse off than the Rangers. You think Toronto cares about all those cups in the O6 right now? Its been 49 years.

Second, our starting goalie pushing 35, despite the several glaring deficiencies, is 3rd in wins, 5th in GAA, and 5th in SV% since the start of November so I don't really think we need to beat the Hank sucks now dead horse any longer.

Third, the future is bright. Gorton is making the right moves. How anyone looks at trading Stepan for a pick and a prospect and thinks we're doing the same old shit is beyond me. No team in any sport is ever going to trade their way out of the playoffs. You wanna talk about trading McD, Zucc, or Hayes this summer let's do it, but as long as they are in the playoffs they aren't trading a roster player for futures.

Once again, we are talking about Nash. He?s giving us very little right now. As far as your 94 reference, it doesn?t equate. I could easily say 1 championship in 70 years ?

Calculate same equation since 95, or 85, or 75.

No matter what, only a few teams have been less successful on winning championships than the Rangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived