• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bang Your Head to the Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Phil

Because it had structure and melody? Haha.

Not enough chaos and noise?

well...

i hate killswitch. they've always been run-of-the-mill dating back to end of heartache and whatever came before that.

they're just so...formulaic.

i saw you post that video a few days ago.

i came back to the thread and was about to hit play, but then i thought, "man...i'm gonna fucking hate this shit."

so last night, i came around and thought, "maybe it won't be so bad. i'll give them another shot."

i got to the guitar solo (i hate guitar solos), and had to turn it off.

fuck KSE. obviously not enough noise and chaos. lol

Never liked them. Can't stand Mustaine as a person or a voice.

I agree, and he is such a bore of a person to listen to in interviews. He always seems like he doesn't want to be bothered in an interview. I tried listening to him on the Jasta Podcast, and I couldn't get through it because he was so boring.

I just said they are pop/rock with a splash of metal, so yes, formulaic. That's ok. Sometimes having something poppy/catchy is a nice change of pace. Especially when your pace is baselined by bands like Converge and Dillinger Escape Plan.

Converge is hardcore on crack.

i agree that you should have diversity in what you listen to (the general you). i listen to beartooth and the bled when i want more melodic, formulaic "metal" or whatever you wanna call it.

i just can't get into KSE. i tried really hard when the end of heartache came out. i bought the album. i put it in rotation. i listened to it several times and just...couldn't get into it. something just didn't click.

and as a sidenote, i don't just listen to converge and dillinger. lol.

i agree that you should have diversity in what you listen to (the general you). i listen to beartooth and the bled when i want more melodic, formulaic "metal" or whatever you wanna call it.

i just can't get into KSE. i tried really hard when the end of heartache came out. i bought the album. i put it in rotation. i listened to it several times and just...couldn't get into it. something just didn't click.

and as a sidenote, i don't just listen to converge and dillinger. lol.

I guess we're the exact opposite. I used to listen to KSE all the time - though I think Howard Jones was a much better vocalist than the new one. But I tried so hard to like Dillinger, but I just could not, for the life of me, get into them.

That's not really a surprise, considering I'm more of the blend of metal and pop elements & melodies, but I just find bands like Dillinger to be so disorganized that it's hard to follow along, and it kind of just becomes noise.

dillinger, psyopus, into the moat = distorted chaos and i fucking love it. it really speaks to my a.d.d. lol.

ahleuchatistas, hella, dysrhythmia = clean chaos and i fucking love it. it really speaks to my a.d.d. lol.

i couldn't stand jones and that's is probably a main reason for my feelings toward KSE. and like i said, i really gave that song a shot that phil posted. i'm also not opposed to listening to it again or hearing more from the upcoming album either.

i'm also not opposed to more melodic, 4/4, harmonizing vox, etc.

here's an awful recording of an old song of mine that also really speaks to my a.d.d.

I guess we're the exact opposite. I used to listen to KSE all the time - though I think Howard Jones was a much better vocalist than the new one. But I tried so hard to like Dillinger, but I just could not, for the life of me, get into them.

That's not really a surprise, considering I'm more of the blend of metal and pop elements & melodies, but I just find bands like Dillinger to be so disorganized that it's hard to follow along, and it kind of just becomes noise.

The "new" one is the original singer, Jesse Leach. Jones stpped in and, IMO, produced the worst era for the band. Vocally better, but the music wasn't great.

Agree on the noise stuff. I can listen to a lot of selected Converge, Dillinger, etc. But entire records are just not possible. I can barely get through three songs straight without changing it up.

well...

i hate killswitch. they've always been run-of-the-mill dating back to end of heartache and whatever came before that.

they're just so...formulaic.

i saw you post that video a few days ago.

i came back to the thread and was about to hit play, but then i thought, "man...i'm gonna fucking hate this shit."

so last night, i came around and thought, "maybe it won't be so bad. i'll give them another shot."

i got to the guitar solo (i hate guitar solos), and had to turn it off.

fuck KSE. obviously not enough noise and chaos. lol

I liked end of heartache. Love Howard's voice. His old (he may still be doing it) band "blood has been shed" is fucking crazy good.

Killswitch used to be called aftershock, years prior. Maybe check that out. A little different. Hardly if any clean vocals.

KSE & "pure aggression" are so LOL to me.

i know i'm just being nit-picky at this point, but the only thing KSE has going for them in terms of aggression is dropping their guitars and basses down to D, distortion, and double bass on the drums.

there are more aggressive girl scouts than KSE.

i'm done. i'm gonna go listen to my noise now.

KSE & "pure aggression" are so LOL to me.

i know i'm just being nit-picky at this point, but the only thing KSE has going for them in terms of aggression is dropping their guitars and basses down to D, distortion, and double bass on the drums.

there are more aggressive girl scouts than KSE.

i'm done. i'm gonna go listen to my noise now.

If you know anything about me, and if you read this thread back far enough, you’ll see I don’t subscribe to the “LOL your music isn’t real music, my music is real music!” line of thinking. I’ve said it a million times — there is no such thing as bad music. It doesn’t exist. There is only music you like, and music you don’t.

I also don’t subscribe to the kind of elitist outlook you have on owning words. Aggressive, for example, does not only apply to bands who apply it with the gas pedal floored. The world of music is just not that black and white. If it is, tell me, who owns “raw”? Who owns “energetic”? What band or artists can lay claim to “brutal”? What band or artists has “melodic” trademarked?

You dislike KSE, and that’s OK. What’s not OK is thinking you’re getting one over me by telling me that there are more aggressive girl scouts than KSE. It’s hyperbolic nonsense simply because you don’t like the band. It’s like me saying Psyopus is what happens when you let a schizophrenic with Asperger’s into a recording studio and give him or her a guitar and a trash can to bang on.

What do I gain out of that except to insult you on the sly for liking them?

On a different note, NEW DEFTONES!!!

http://pitchfork.com/news/63208-deftones-return-with-new-album-gore-share-prayerstriangles/

You dislike KSE, and that’s OK. What’s not OK is thinking you’re getting one over me by telling me that there are more aggressive girl scouts than KSE. It’s hyperbolic nonsense simply because you don’t like the band. It’s like me saying Psyopus is what happens when you let a schizophrenic with Asperger’s into a recording studio and give him or her a guitar and a trash can to bang on.

What do I gain out of that except to insult you on the sly for liking them?

i would listen to that!

on a more serious note, chris arp (arpmandude, the guitarist for psyopus) is one of the most talented guitarists i've ever seen and heard. dude does things with that instrument i haven't seen other people do.

i think there's more talent in one of his fingers than in most bands.

but yeah, i'm not debating what's ok and not ok to like in music. and i know you subscribe to "like whatever you like" and i'm on board with that.