• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bang Your Head to the Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Phil

Pwac closed in like 97 or 98. I was out of my JNCO's fad by then. Pwac and Dr Shays were the hardcore/metal/punk places to go on Long Island.

I thought it closed in like 95.

Craw daddies, the swing set, as well as VFW's, bowling alleys, basements and such were some of the places I was seen at the time. If you were a frequent LI hardcore kid from those days, you'll be glad to know Tension is still fucking playing (lol). They played with Outrage and a few other of those brother bands about a month ago at Revolution in Amityville (old Craw daddies ). I didnt go.... Lots of shows going on there lately as well as the Amityville music hall if youre still into that kind of stuff still.

I thought it closed in like 95.

Craw daddies, the swing set, as well as VFW's, bowling alleys, basements and such were some of the places I was seen at the time. If you were a frequent LI hardcore kid from those days, you'll be glad to know Tension is still fucking playing (lol). They played with Outrage and a few other of those brother bands about a month ago at Revolution in Amityville (old Craw daddies ). I didnt go.... Lots of shows going on there lately as well as the Amityville music hall if youre still into that kind of stuff still.

I forgot about Craw Daddies and the Swing Set. I used to also love going to The Vanderbuilt. We used to go to a place in Lindenhurst every Friday night for Hardcore/Punk shows. It was a gay bar other nights of the week. We were friends with the girlfriend of Ryan from Silent Majority, we worked with her. She used to get us into a ton of shows. Tension was bad ass, saw them a couple of times. Didn't Revolution move to a new location now? We went to Craw Daddies a couple of times, not much. There was a place up on the North Shore, it was right on the water that we used to go to a lot, we saw the Suicide Machines there a couple of times. I miss going to VFW's as well for shows. There was also a catering hall in Deer Park, Mickhales I think it was called, and they used to have shows Saturday afternoons.

I also heard Inside is getting back together.

Which goalie is that, Lehner? That's sweet.

Love In Flames.

Ooops forgot to post that it was Lehners.

I've given up on In Flames. Just keep getting worse and worse. After Reroute to Remain just couldn't listen to any of their stuff. Maybe a song here or there, but Clayman is one of my favorite all time albums. I wonder if Lundqvist knows them as they are from the same town/city, as is Soilwork and Im sure others.

Ooops forgot to post that it was Lehners.

I've given up on In Flames. Just keep getting worse and worse. After Reroute to Remain just couldn't listen to any of their stuff. Maybe a song here or there, but Clayman is one of my favorite all time albums. I wonder if Lundqvist knows them as they are from the same town/city, as is Soilwork and Im sure others.

I figured Lehner, just wasn't sure if it was someone else in their pipeline.

In Flames evolved, just like Metallica. Most metal fans draw a line in the sand at Clayman and the Black Album, but for me, while there are some records/songs I like far less than others, I just learn to appreciate the new avenues they go down.

Opeth is a band who went through this as well, really pushing the melodic death metal thing for years, but their last few records have all had clean vocals and have had much more of a prog metal feel. A lot of fans hate that, but oh well. Their loss.

I figured Lehner, just wasn't sure if it was someone else in their pipeline.

In Flames evolved, just like Metallica. Most metal fans draw a line in the sand at Clayman and the Black Album, but for me, while there are some records/songs I like far less than others, I just learn to appreciate the new avenues they go down.

Opeth is a band who went through this as well, really pushing the melodic death metal thing for years, but their last few records have all had clean vocals and have had much more of a prog metal feel. A lot of fans hate that, but oh well. Their loss.

Reroute to Remain was good. The one after had a couple good songs. But I just couldn't dig it anymore after that. Im ok with change. But atleast make it good. I mean Whoracle, the Jester race and Colony were great albums and a different feel. Clayman was frikken consistently good/ great that didn't stray too far away from the previous stuff, but was definitely different. I believe the older stuff was written by the guitarist from Dark Tranquility. He left the band. They got softer and IMO gradually worse.

Ah well. Not all bands can be great and get better, like Amorphis.

"Better" is a subjective term. In a lot of ways I feel In Flames did get better. So did Dark Tranquility. So did Opeth.

I forget which podcast I was listening to, but I remember hearing someone talk about Metallica a few weeks ago, talking about how fans hated them from the Black album on because the music they started to write changed so dramatically to what's referenced as "arena rock" in the industry. But for a reason — they were now selling out arenas, not bars and shitty clubs where they could play in front of 100 people. Plain and simple, you have to simplify the structure of your music the larger the arena and the larger the crowd. And simple doesn't always mean formulaic. It just means losing the styrofoam sound to the mixing, and a higher quality of production to create a cleaner sound better suited for professional sound equipment.

I think DT got better. Was never into the Opeth thing. Wasn't into 12 minute songs lol.

As for Metallica. I liked the Black album and even parts of Load. But its more obvious that the change in sound was due to the majority music writer died in Cliff Burton.

Also, lets not act like Metallica was playi g to 100 people before the Black album. They were packing out big venues and arenas prior to the Black album.

I disagree with what youre saying about simplifying the sound to suit the larger arena. Otherwise bands like Pantera, Down, At the Gates, Slayer, Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, Amorphis, Amon Amarth and so on, wouldn't sound amazing in huge venues and stadiums.

Nothing wrong at all with simplifying and stripping down the music. As long as its GOOD. But not for a second do I buy that Metallica changed their sound due to sound quality.. If that were the case there wouldn't be a such thing as St Anger. Which was an abortion of sound quality. It might have been good has the producer not put that awful snare drum at the forefront of all the music..

Well, like I've said before, music is subjective. "As long as it's GOOD" is a term that applies to the individual. I hear people rip Ghost all the time, for example, and talk about how awful the vocals are, how harmful the image is, how much the music sucks, etc. Yet they're selling more record, filling larger venues and generating a larger audience with each new record, so they're clearly doing something right.

It's OK that you dislike In Flames today. Or Metallica. Or any band, really. It just means whatever record or song we're talking about isn't for you. But it can be for someone else. I loved the last In Flames record, for example.

Yeahhh but selling records doesnt necessarily mean anything about talent. If that were true pop music and everything else at the top of charts wouldn't be such crap. Its what is being exposed to people and over the last 15 years music hasn't been put out there for a listener to chose. Radio and TV aren't about what people like. Its what some director or executive wants to push onto the listener. Long gone are rock radio stations that dont have set programing to play the same tracks all day everyday. There are no actual requests taken from listeners. Its all chosen by someone who "knows" what the people want ".

If record sales meant an artist is doing something right, I guess Britney and Kanye, and all this other garbage that has taken the focus of the airwaves is "good". Im pretty damn sure you don't agree that anything popular and on the top of the charts, is good music.

No, it's about what what a director or executive wants to push that he's hoping you like enough to buy. This is why some acts get pushed and pushed and have money pumped into them, only to flop. Ever hear the term "box office bomb"? Exists in all mediums. So, yes, sales do mean something. They are a monetary indication you are doing something right.

And yes, Britney and Kanye and "all this other garbage that has taken the focus of the airwaves" is good. To someone. Just not you. Or me. But to others, yes, it's quite good. Because music is like art — it's subjective, not objective. It's not possible for music of any kind, regardless of what you listen to or don't, to be objectively good or bad. This is why you can put on the country station and want to gag yourself with a spoon while I can be bobbing my head to the latest Jason Aldean, or why you could tune into your local rock station and hear the newest BANE song and be going nuts while I want to drive screw drivers into my ears because I'm convinced the pain of doing so would actually be comfort compared to listening to the song.

And no, I don't agree that anything popular and on the top of the charts isn't good music.

I don't like hardcore in general. Bane, Madball, Gorilla Biscuits, etc. are the worst among them all to me. The more "oldschool" the sound, the greater the chances I’ll despise it.

But I’d never call any of it garbage. It’s garbage to me, maybe, but there are thousands and thousands of people who disagree with me. Because music is subjective. And that’s OK. It’s not for me, so I don’t listen, just like The Bachelorette isn’t for me, so I don’t watch it, or how the NYPost isn’t for me, so I don’t read it. I don’t feel the need to prevent you from doing so, if you enjoy it.

I don't like hardcore in general. Bane, Madball, Gorilla Biscuits, etc. are the worst among them all to me. The more "oldschool" the sound, the greater the chances I?ll despise it.

But I?d never call any of it garbage. It?s garbage to me, maybe, but there are thousands and thousands of people who disagree with me. Because music is subjective. And that?s OK. It?s not for me, so I don?t listen, just like The Bachelorette isn?t for me, so I don?t watch it, or how the NYPost isn?t for me, so I don?t read it. I don?t feel the need to prevent you from doing so, if you enjoy it.

I respect your opinion but that still made me :(

Not surprised though based on the type of heavy metal you've been posting here. It's all good though as the majority of people have little or no interest in any "metal" in general which is a bummer.

I don't like hardcore in general. Bane, Madball, Gorilla Biscuits, etc. are the worst among them all to me. The more "oldschool" the sound, the greater the chances I’ll despise it.

But I’d never call any of it garbage. It’s garbage to me, maybe, but there are thousands and thousands of people who disagree with me. Because music is subjective. And that’s OK. It’s not for me, so I don’t listen, just like The Bachelorette isn’t for me, so I don’t watch it, or how the NYPost isn’t for me, so I don’t read it. I don’t feel the need to prevent you from doing so, if you enjoy it.

This is exactly how I feel about todays metal. I tried listening to a lot of the new bands out there, and I just can't get into them. I know you love Ghost, but to me, its terrible. I have listened to entire albums by them, and I just can't get into them.

I respect your opinion but that still made me :(

Not surprised though based on the type of heavy metal you've been posting here. It's all good though as the majority of people have little or no interest in any "metal" in general which is a bummer.

Sorry, Pars. Just never really did it for me. But again, I never rip on friends who do love them. My roommate through college loves all that old school hardcore. I used to go to shows with him all the time to hang out with him, even though I couldn't stand the music itself.

This is exactly how I feel about todays metal. I tried listening to a lot of the new bands out there, and I just can't get into them. I know you love Ghost, but to me, its terrible. I have listened to entire albums by them, and I just can't get into them.

Right, exactly. And that's totally OK. I completely understand someone not digging any band or type.

Found this on another board which I believe was copied from wiki, breaks down the subgenres:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_subgenres

I definitely lean heavily on just a FEW of these.

I'd rank my top 3:

1. and 2. (evenly): Hardcore and Nu-Metal

Thereafter, it's fairly diffuse, probably a blend of....

3. Alternative, Metalcore, Hard rock,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Alternative metal - A term used to describe styles of metal which are considered to be unique or experimental. This category also overlaps circus metal and math metal. Faith No More are a prime example of the genre, along with ex-frontman Mike Patton's side projects Fant?mas and Tomahawk. Other notable examples include The Melvins, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Rage Against The Machine, Helmet and System of a Down.

*Australian war metal - Also referred to as Satanic war metal or simply as war metal and originating from Australia, it is characterized by a fusion of death metal rhythm section with 1980s thrash-style guitar riffs and vocals, particularly influenced by European thrash bands such as Sodom, Kreator and Coroner. The style also borrows its image and lyrical themes from early Black metal. Exponents of Australian war metal include Bestial Warlust, Destroyer 666 & Gospel of the Horns.

*Black metal - Considered to be the most extreme subgenre of metal. The genre has its origins in early thrash/speed metal and is often (but not always) characterised by Satanic or occult lyrical themes, usually 'screamed' out rather than sang. Venom and Bathory are credited with pioneering the genre. Other notable black metal artist include Darkthrone, Immortal, Emperor, Satyricon and Mayhem.

*Blues rock - Most important early heavy metal performers were rooted solidly in blues rock: Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin.

*Christian metal - This category can be any style of metal featuring explicitly Christian lyrics or themes. Examples include Stryper and Mortification

*Circus metal - Incorporates circus or carnival elements in music or performances. See Mr. Bungle, Dog Fashion Disco, Secret Chiefs 3, Vicious Hairy Mary, Headkase and Darth Vegas .

*Death metal - An extreme style of metal with low-pitched guitars and growling, often incomprehensible vocals. Lyrical themes of early death metal often centered around gore horror (hence the term), although the genre has since diversified. Examples Bolt Thrower, Mortification, Death, Morbid Angel, Deicide and Entombed. Also see Melodic death metal.

*Doom metal - Inspired largely by the lumbering dirges and stoned, paranoid darkness of Black Sabbath, and one of the very few heavy metal subgenres to prize feel and mood more than flashy technique, doom metal bands include Candlemass, Cathedral and Anathema.

*Epic metal - Incorporates high fantasy and related elements. Examples of epic metal include Manowar, Virgin Steele, Cirith Ungol, Omen, Medieval Steel, Bathory, DoomSword.

*Extreme metal - Not a specific genre but a broader definition of some heavier and aggressive styles of metal including black metal, death metal, doom metal, grindcore, hardcore and thrash metal.

*Folk metal - A style incorporates folk music instruments or themes. Skyclad is probably the most known band in this genre. See Subway to Sally and In Extremo.

*Gore Metal - Subgenre that bases most lyrical inspiration on gore/horror and anything to be considered macabre and "Dark Taboo", Generally revolving around something sickening. Bands linked with this subgenre include: Mortician, Exhumed and quite obvious from the band-name Cannibal Corpse

*Goth metal - A fusion of the bleak, icy atmospherics of goth rock with the loud guitars and aggression of heavy metal, finding the middle ground between the two styles in a melodramatic sense of theater and lyrical obsessions with religion and horror. Bands include Theatre of Tragedy, Paradise Lost, Lacrimosa, Tristania, My Dying Bride and Type O Negative.

*Grindcore - Influenced by thrash metal, and also hardcore and punk, that takes its name from the "grinding" sound made by the atonal riffs 'grinding' into one another. The style is characterized by a vocal style similar to death metal, rapid fire "blast beats" from double-kick drums and short songs. Exponents of the genre include Napalm Death (regarded as pioneers of the style), Carcass and Extreme Noise Terror.

*Grunge metal - Sometimes seen as distinct from grunge itself, although combining elements of both grunge and metal. Prominent grunge metal acts include Alice In Chains and King's X.

*Hair metal - also referred to as glam metal or **** rock, it was a commercially popular style of metal in the 1980s. It features feel good anthems and flashy costumes. Bands include M?tley Cr?e, Ratt, Skid Row, Poison, Dokken, Greg Howe, Vixen, and Cinderella.

*Hard rock - A progression from blues rock and early psychedelia and a precursor to heavy metal. It was pioneered in the mid to late 1960s by artist such as Jimi Hendrix and Steppenwolf, with British bands such as Led Zeppelin, Cream and Free developing it further. It is hard to distinguish hard rock from early heavy metal, some artist such as Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Queen and AC/DC fall into both styles.

*Hardcore - Originating as extreme and chaotic version of punk rock but crossed over into Heavy metal due to its similarities in heaviness and aggression. It was also a pivotal influence to thrash metal and later grindcore and Metalcore. Some artists, most notably Suicidal Tendencies and D.R.I. crossed over styles from hardcore to heavy metal. Other notable hardcore acts include Bad Brains, Agnostic Front, Black Flag and Minor Threat.

*Ice metal - Incorporates sounds, imagery and themes related to ice zones, specifically Scandinavia. See Sonata Arctica.

*Industrial metal features elements of dance music, techno, and heavy, distorted guitars. Synthesizers and drum machines are heavily used in this sub-genre. Well known industrial metal acts include Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Ministry, Rob Zombie/White Zombie, Fear Factory and Rammstein.

*Math metal - This term was reportedly coined by Mudvayne frontman Ch?d, and features bands such as Meshuggah and the noisy, grindcore and jazz influenced band by the name The Dillinger Escape Plan.

*Melodic death metal - An offshoot of death metal, featuring melodic guitar riffs (sometimes acoustic), and in some examples occasional 'clean' singing. Death and Morbid Angel are primary influences of the genre, which has been developed further by predominately Swedish bands such as Entombed, At The Gates, Opeth, In Flames and Katatonia.

*Metalcore - This style is a fusion between hardcore and thrash Metal. Notable metalcore artists include Hatebreed and Killswitch Engage.

*Neo-classical metal incorporates elements or melodies from classical music, especially works by Johann Sebastian Bach, Antonio Vivaldi and Niccolo Paganini. Yngwie J. Malmsteen is a perhaps known proponent of this branch of metal, classical elements were used in heavy metal and hard rock date back to Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple and Eddie Van Halen's innovations in the late 1970s.

*New Wave of British Heavy Metal - Often abbreviated as NWOBHM, the term is used to describe British metal artists that emerged in the late 1970s/early 1980s in the wake of the 'original wave' of British metal artist such as Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. NWOBHM was hugely popular and is influential to virtually all sub-genres of heavy metal since. Major artists included Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Saxon and Diamond Head.

*Nu metal - Features a pronounced hip hop influence, and guitar technique is often different from "traditional metal." Some argue nu-metal is a misnomer, stating the genre has very little to do with heavy metal. See Korn, Papa Roach, Staind, Linkin Park, Slipknot, Orgy, Drowning Pool, Machine Head and Limp Bizkit.

*Oriental metal - A sub-sub genre of death metal and incorporating influences from Jewish tradition and eastern music. See Salem and Orphaned Land.

*Party metal - Also referred to as Pop metal, it features lyrics celebrating drinking, rock or metal music, sex, and related topics. The style often overlaps hair metal and hard rock. Notable artists include Cheap Trick, Van Halen, Queen, KISS, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, Andrew WK and some Judas Priest ("Living After Midnight", "Heading Out To The Highway," "Hot Rockin")

*Power metal - Features fantasy or science fiction themes. The most famous bands include Helloween, Blind Guardian and Hammerfall, all of them continental European, and Jag Panzer coming from the US.

*Progressive metal - combining elements of progressive rock and heavy metal. See Dream Theater, Symphony X, Stratovarius and DragonForce.

*Speed metal - Speed metal has its origins in the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal with bands such as Motorhead, Raven, Venom, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest often combining heavy metal with the speed of punk rock. The style often overlaps Thrash metal, although speed metal is regarded as being more melodic. Other notable speed metal acts include Watchtower and Racer X.

*Stoner metal - Also referred to as stoner rock, it overlaps with doom metal, and features heavy, sometimes slow and sludgily distorted riffs and the obvious influence of psychedelic music and more importantly the 1970s fuzz-distorted metal of Black Sabbath and Budgie. Exponents of the genre include Cathedral, Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, Nebula, Fu Manchu and Monster Magnet.

*Thrash metal - Incorporated hardcore punk's speed with traditional metal. Slayer, Overkill and early Metallica and Megadeth. As is true for many of the terms in this list, the moniker "thrash metal" was not always embraced by its supposed representatives; early on, Metallica referred to themselves as "power metal" (conflicting with the above definition of this term). Conversely, many more or less obscure bands, like Kreator, came up with equally obscure classifications for themselves, such as hate metal. Such labels were often soon forgotten or reused for something else.