• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bang Your Head to the Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Phil

I hate seeing lists like that, that try to categorize things to such absurd depths, because it leads to people arguing over why so and so isn't actually subgenre A, but subgenre B, or that they're actually some kind of hybrid subgenre A/B, so now we have a whole new "genre" to try and account for.

I hate seeing lists like that, that try to categorize things to such absurd depths, because it leads to people arguing over why so and so isn't actually subgenre A, but subgenre B, or that they're actually some kind of hybrid subgenre A/B, so now we have a whole new "genre" to try and account for.

Sigh....nevermind. I bring it up to keep the conversation going in this thread. My bad.

Conversation does go. We post more metal bands/songs as we go. :)

I've just never understood the need to categorize to that depth, because all it does is lead to needless in-fighting within the metal genre itself because two fans of the same band disagree over whatever arbitrary label is being applied to them. It's silly.

For me, I tend to just compare bands that I want someone to listen to other acts I think they relate to. It's a lot easier than saying "this is straight up Pok?mon mathematics death core!" as if anyone is going to really know what that means. LOL.

Sigh....nevermind. I bring it up to keep the conversation going in this thread. My bad.

Pfffft. Relax. I get why you posted ot. Not a big deal. Just a pet peave, for similar reasons Phil stated. But, i get trying to describe or give a title to the type of music uou like to people.

So do I. I just tend not to get overly caught up in the actual subgenre title. Like if someone asks me "what do Opeth sound like?" I'm going to tell them "melodic death metal where later records have a very prog metal sound and clean vocals, which differentiates them from earlier records where the death metal influence was so much more apparent".

I find it's a lot easier to give them a deeper explanation than it is to say "prog metal" or "death metal". Because neither actually describes how they sound. Know what I mean?

Exactly Phil. Seeing Type O Negative listed as "goth" makes me scratch my head, because they wete pretty much a hardcore band from the get go, branching off of Carnivore. Yes they had a lead dinger who sometomes sang like a vampire, but the majority of their music wasnt like that. Yes, they had a couple goofy Halloween themed songs, but they had a shit ton more songs that defined them, and they certainly didn't take themselves seriously. "I used to pick up the garbage, now I write it" doesn't sound gothic to me. Lol, that man was an insane genius.

But I get how people try to simplify the answer, though I disagree with that list posted about some bands. Just way off in my opinion. Fear factory as industrial? Since when? NIN and Skinny puppy are industrial. No andry death metal singing in that stuff. But since they use some key boards and add some bass effects that makes them industrial? Guess the list maker missed their first 3 or 4 albums. God was demanufacture a great one..

Ah well. Just someones take on it.

I mean. FF to me are an industrial influence metal band, but lists like this that try to define groups into hardened sub genres just lead to arguments, always. It's why I dislike them. Same as why I never do top-X lists. If someone says "what are your top five favorite bands", my response is always to say or write five and add the caveat "in no particular order", because the actual numbers can change by the day. Ya know?

• 2 weeks later...
I actaully don't mind BFMV that much. I just have to litsen to them in really small doses. Couple songs here, couple songs there. I don't think I've ever sat through an entire record. Not sure I could.

Actually, as much as I like them, I don't think I ever have either.

• 1 month later...

[video=youtube;OYF5FCu_M-k]

This record is going to be amazing...

--

Also, on a much heavier note, Solution .45 (Christian ?lvestam's other project after he left Scar Symmetry) have a new video out for "Alter (The Unbearable Weight Of Nothing)"