• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bang Your Head to the Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
I actually don't like The Sword very much. Equally not into High on Fire. Can't really pinpoint why with either band. With HOF, it's the singers voice most likely, but I figured you'd be into them just based on the sound.

One of my normal baristas at Starbucks always sees me with my Clutch and Sick of It All hoodies. He told me to check out "The Sword" on youtube last week. I gave it a listen and it's not bad...he recommended I listen to the "Warp Riders" album and the first track (an instrumental) I really liked. Then, the next track had vocals and that sort of ruined it.

Yeah, I'm really into this sound. Over the last two years or so I've kind of regressed in terms of how heavy my metal has gone. I haven't stopped listening to black or death, etc, but I've listened to less of it, and more of this style.

You're just getting old lol

Eh, it's not that, tbh. Rock has stagnated. Hate Nu Metal all you want, but at least it was new, or "nu" as it were.

There's just an influx of "indie" and "us too" bands out there. I'm not saying they're not good, but they fail to carve out their own identity. Part of that is the wide ocean of the internet, the other is a lack of image and/or uniqueness.

This is slightly off topic so I apologize, but I stumbled across this guy Leo from Norway last night on youtube (he's been around awhile I guess) that does tons of metal covers of pop/Disney/etc. songs. He actually plays all the instruments, sings, mixes and produces everything by himself. I'm impressed. Obviously, if you find this kind of youtube stuff "corny" don't watch the links I provided below or comment on how stupid it is. Thanks :)

I think I'm drawn to this specifically since I'm a dad of two young girls and I know how some of these pop/Disney songs get brandished into my head.

Shake it Off:

[video=youtube;kCEq3-w8Ls4]

Let it Go (the riffs/solo around 2:35 I loved):

Barbie Girl:

• 4 weeks later...