• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hey Yo: WWE, AEW, Impact and More

Phil

Steen? Yeah. Great performer. Glad to hear WWE is doing something with him. Hope the same for Joe and others.

But WWE is like the New Jersey Devils for me. Hearing that my favorite players are there doesn't make me any more inclined to be a fan of them. If anything, it's a reason to stop watching my favorite players play.

I can't tell if wresting is in its best state in years, or if it's in the worst.

Seriously. I miss the attitude era so much, but a lot of these new guys are amazing. I absolutely love Kevin Owens, Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins. They are all blue chippers (throw Cesaro in that batch too).

I am not too fond of Neville though, he reminds me of another Evan Bourne.

It was OK. Lots of false finishes. Way too many for my tastes. But of course they had to add the usual bullshit with that "Owens came from virtual obscurity" line. And no, it's not something I can just ignore, because they do this shit all the time. They did it in the Sting match at Wrestlemania with the "the right side won again" line as well. Makes it fucking impossible for me to ever root for this company.

Dug the ending though. Played to the smark audience big time. Owens looks like and acts like a heel, but he's basically being cheered because he's the anti-Cena?

It was OK. Lots of false finishes. Way too many for my tastes. But of course they had to add the usual bullshit with that "Owens came from virtual obscurity" line. And no, it's not something I can just ignore, because they do this shit all the time. They did it in the Sting match at Wrestlemania with the "the right side won again" line as well. Makes it fucking impossible for me to ever root for this company.

Dug the ending though. Played to the smark audience big time. Owens looks like and acts like a heel, but he's basically being cheered because he's the anti-Cena?

I think its partially that and also because a lot of the WWE fan base is relatively smart, so they recognize his talent. Owens is getting a huge push though, he beat Cena in the first match, took him to the limit in this one and will probably will the third match.

You know he is getting a push if Cena is willing to put him over too (even though Cena won last night)

Owens, Rollins and Ambrose make the WWE watchable again.

Again, they're the Devils to me. It's going to take a miracle for me to want to watch Devils hockey.

Watching the occasional goal or hit or fight? Sure. Watching 82 games a season? Fat chance I'd even watch ten.

• 2 weeks later...
Rumors are it's not just one match -- that this is the start of a TNA/GFW merger, or that JJ is getting back control of TNA.

Maybe? It's possible. GFW isn't all that impressive at this stage, either. It's clear that TNA need to do something, though - their product is on the verge of an atomic collapse. Bringing back Pope, Morgan, Hernandez, JJ and more would be a good start.

I'm still very skeptical of Billy Corgan's involvement - but this does echo some of his previous statements about bringing in talent that are associated heavily with the TNA brand.

In a perfect world I'd like to see GFW be the glue that brings all WWE competitors together for events, while also maintaining separate and individual spirits. Bringing in AJ Styles to an Impact/TNA PPV for a revenge match vs EC3, having the BDC vs Bullet Club, Nakamura vs Kurt Angle, reDragon vs The Wolves, Elgin vs Aries, Briscoes vs The Hardy's, Bobby Roode vs Okada - etc.

Like a new-age NWA? Yeah, that might work.

But I could also see this as a means to re-brand the company completely by effectively having JJ re-buy majority ownership, probably run an invasion-type angle where it's GFW versus TNA, and GFW actually wins. Hence, it's still technically TNA — it's TNA's deal with Destination America, and most of TNA's roster for example — but the company effectively re-brands as GFW.

Fans are pointing out the new X Division belt being re-colored green, the new XD graphics being green, and the fact Matt Morgan wore green shoes might all be indications that they're planting seeds for this.

Like a new-age NWA? Yeah, that might work.

But I could also see this as a means to re-brand the company completely by effectively having JJ re-buy majority ownership, probably run an invasion-type angle where it's GFW versus TNA, and GFW actually wins. Hence, it's still technically TNA — it's TNA's deal with Destination America, and most of TNA's roster for example — but the company effectively re-brands as GFW.

Fans are pointing out the new X Division belt being re-colored green, the new XD graphics being green, and the fact Matt Morgan wore green shoes might all be indications that they're planting seeds for this.

It's definitely possible. Though, I honestly doubt GFW becomes its own exclusive brand. Either way, the disruption to the status quo is welcome.

If you buy into the theory (and I do) that the TNA brand itself is damaged, it does make sense. It also helps them with advertising — something they've admittedly struggled mightily with from day one with the "TNA" brand. Advertisers have routinely been taken aback by it, because of what the acronym stands for to most people – tits and ass. Hogan and others have said that every time they had calls with these advertisers, they had to explain over and over it means "Total Non-Stop Action", but never "got through" to them. In fact, it's why they re-branded the show (poorly) to be "Impact Wrestling".

If you buy into the theory (and I do) that the TNA brand itself is damaged, it does make sense. It also helps them with advertising — something they've admittedly struggled mightily with from day one with the "TNA" brand. Advertisers have routinely been taken aback by it, because of what the acronym stands for to most people – tits and ass. Hogan and others have said that every time they had calls with these advertisers, they had to explain over and over it means "Total Non-Stop Action", but never "got through" to them. In fact, it's why they re-branded the show (poorly) to be "Impact Wrestling".

I can see it happening, but I don't believe that's JJ's vision. Though, obviously, I could be wrong.

It's hard to project right now, but it's certainly plausible given what we know.

I think the TNA brand is both damaged and still has built-in equity. You saw Corgan talk about that a lot, which speaks to bringing back so many "TNA guys" to help re-establish the brand.

It's hard to project right now, but it's certainly plausible given what we know.

I think the TNA brand is both damaged and still has built-in equity. You saw Corgan talk about that a lot, which speaks to bringing back so many "TNA guys" to help re-establish the brand.

I will say this, the TNA roster has bigger stars than ROH, with the exception of the part-timers there.

According to The Wrestling Observer, following his return on Impact Wrestling last night, Jeff Jarrett is expected to be around TNA a lot more following this Sunday’s Slammiversary PPV.

As noted, there is talk that Jarrett’s return could be leading up to a TNA Hall of Fame induction, and while not confirmed, TNA might run some sort of invasion angle with Global Force Wrestling.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/591209-more-backstage-details-on-jarretts-tna-return-future-possible-gfw-invasion-angle-wwe-nxt-talent-released-due-to-concussion-issues

Again, the dreamer in me hopes and hopes for some grandiose plan to pit GFW as an invading army backing the King (of the Mountain)'s claim to his former throne, like a wrestling version of Game of Thrones. The ultimate pay off being a "Global Force" takeover and re-brand of the existing TNA product. Effectively getting GFW "their" television deal on Destination America, while absorbing a greater roster in the process and re-branding and re-charging the old TNA brand as GFW to rekindle any advertising fires that have been mostly smoke to date because of the reportedly unwillingness of dollars to be forked over to a company perceived as tits n' ass.

The pragmatist in me keeps reminding me "he said he's coming back for one match, you delusional mark".

The war internal wages on eternally.

Here's an out-there theory from a WrestleZone user:

The Global Force is emerging. The September cancelation of Impact is only partially true. Impact will be rebranded as GFW TV. This will happen after The Bullet Club aids Jarrett in taking over TNA. In a three hour Iron Man match, at BFG, TNA Champ Kurt Angle will take on IWGP AJ Styles thus crowing a Global HWC. New Japan will then win their title back at the '16 Tokyo Dome Show. Along the way GFW will eat up other promotions before moving onto challenge the E.

The three-hour match thing is over-the-top (well, really, all of it is), but the principle of it is pretty fuckin' cool.