• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hey Yo: WWE, AEW, Impact and More

Phil

WWE don't have to "redefine the industry". They are the industry. They just put 70,000+ people in a football stadium for Wrestlemania. The tour weekly and fill up arenas all over the world for Monday Night Raw. They're doing just fine.

Like I said before, worst case scenario, they scale back slightly similar to what TNA did by filming in slightly smaller stadiums/arenas to continue to operate in the black.

I never knew Orton did drugs. Steroids?

Nice, i'll check it out. I love the 6 sided ring

Steroids is most likely, yeah. He's always had a wirey frame, so he was probably taking them fairly often to maintain that heavy build he wants.

To be clear, most of the veteran roster has, or is doing steroids of some sort - to what degree, it's unknown.

HHH himself is a known user, as is Vince McMahon.

"Random" drug tests in the WWE have been reported as being anything but, and circumventing said tests is in the favour of both the WWE and its roster - at least in the short term.

I'm sure the majority of them do. It's not easy to maintain the looks they have without them.

Gaining to that degree naturally is next to impossible, even if it's your full-time job. Take the toughest hockey player in the NHL, and he does not have that physique whatsoever.

Not to your point of maintenance, you're exactly right. It's fitting that Arnold was honoured for his achievements in wresting this year, because he embodies the majority of the culture.

Hulk Hogan and Arnold Schwarzenegger sold a generation fase promises as to what the male physique can look like without the intervention of supererogatory measures.

The good thing is that wrestling as a whole is moving away from this. TNA have actually done a lot of great work in helping to combat it by pushing talents who don't have the John Cena/Hulk Hogan/Arnold Schwarzenegger look to the top of their cards — guys like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, James Storm, etc.

The guy I'd worry about with WWE at this point is Seth Rollins.

He's gone from this:

http://capricorncity.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/roderick-strong-b-tyler-black-roh-09-11-10-scott-finkelstein-1011587795_roC4r-L-1-200x300.jpg

To this:

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/87/files/2015/03/Seth-Rollins-WrestleMania-1-850x560.jpg

It's not a huge transition, but it might be if he's juicing the way the other guys around him are to maintain his edge.

The good thing is that wrestling as a whole is moving away from this. TNA have actually done a lot of great work in helping to combat it by pushing talents who don't have the John Cena/Hulk Hogan/Arnold Schwarzenegger look to the top of their cards — guys like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, James Storm, etc.

The guy I'd worry about with WWE at this point is Seth Rollins.

He's gone from this:

http://capricorncity.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/roderick-strong-b-tyler-black-roh-09-11-10-scott-finkelstein-1011587795_roC4r-L-1-200x300.jpg

To this:

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/87/files/2015/03/Seth-Rollins-WrestleMania-1-850x560.jpg

It's not a huge transition, but it might be if he's juicing the way the other guys around him are to maintain his edge.

He actually isn't much bigger Phil, he's simply leaner.

You're probably right. I'm just saying, in the past, guys have gone to it to help themselves climb up the card, and stay there.

But regardless, it's great to see guys like Joe, Kevin Steen, etc. still getting a decent shot at success despite not being built like Superman.

You're probably right. I'm just saying, in the past, guys have gone to it to help themselves climb up the card, and stay there.

But regardless, it's great to see guys like Joe, Kevin Steen, etc. still getting a decent shot at success despite not being built like Superman.

Oh, agreed man. One thing that makes wrestling, wrestling - is the diverse assortment of characters. Having a line of GI Joe's sort of deflates that.

To me i always enjoyed the athletic part of wresting and the technical aspect. The guys that made it look seamless. Yeah a jackhammer on a guy like Kevin Nash is impressive, but I'll take the work of guys like Eddie Guerrero, Dean Malenko, Y2J, Bret Hart, Christopher Daniels, AJ Styles, and so on over Cena and company.

I've said it before but I got into wrestling because of WCW's Crusierweight and Light Heavyweights in addition to Sting etc. That's what drove me to TNA early on.

Athleticism is fine, but wrestling is all about the story being told. If all you care for, or what you mostly care for is simply a display of athleticism, the Indies are your calling. They often completely forego story-telling of any kind, instead opting for high octane caliber speed and athleticism to sell their product. For the fans who like that ROH style, it's right up your alley. For me, I'm much more interested in the story being told. It's why I never really gave a shit about the "wrestling" ability of the performer. EC3 is one of the best things going in TNA right now because of how well he can sell himself in stories. He pulls off the holier-than-thou attitude better than most, which makes watching him perform a treat, even if his actual wrestling isn't as technically exciting as it is watching Dean Malenko.

Athleticism is fine, but wrestling is all about the story being told. If all you care for, or what you mostly care for is simply a display of athleticism, the Indies are your calling. They often completely forego story-telling of any kind, instead opting for high octane caliber speed and athleticism to sell their product. For the fans who like that ROH style, it's right up your alley. For me, I'm much more interested in the story being told. It's why I never really gave a shit about the "wrestling" ability of the performer. EC3 is one of the best things going in TNA right now because of how well he can sell himself in stories. He pulls off the holier-than-thou attitude better than most, which makes watching him perform a treat, even if his actual wrestling isn't as technically exciting as it is watching Dean Malenko.

Oh I enjoy a good story, I was just agreeing with the fact that enjoy less emphasis on the larger guys.

I know what you mean. I'm just saying, for me personally, I put far more stock into the effectiveness of the story-telling than I do the athleticism itself. Meaning, I'd rather watch EC3 in a compelling story with an opponent than see Amazing Red do thirty-five flips because he can in a story that means nothing.

Nope and nope. The only reason I would even consider it is the old WCW content, but I can just watch that on YouTube for free.

It's a cool concept for WWE fans — access to WWE content, other shows, etc. But I almost certainly wouldn't be watching any of those.