• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hey Yo: WWE, AEW, Impact and More

Phil

Ah, right, the ol "you know it's fake, right?"

Go take a bump and tell me how fake it is. Then understand that there's a difference between "fake" and "scripted".

A third-party physician to the WWE said that a traditional bodyslam "bump" is as damaging to the human body as a light-car crash.

There are several of these a match, and it's one of the safest bumps that a wrestler can take.

“I don’t have anything but respect for TNA. They made a really good offer to me, and I’m really grateful for that. The reason I didn’t go there is because those guys at Lucha Underground helped me in all my legal proceedings against WWE. So I owed them that. It was not a matter of not wanting to go to TNA. It’s just that Lucha Underground and AAA, they paid for my legal services. They introduced me to my lawyer. And the reason I’m working right now is because of them. WWE wanted me to stop working in the United States for a year. And that was going to happen if it wasn’t for these guys. I’m a stand up guy. If you help me, I’ll return the favor one day. That’s what I’m doing with them. Plus, they made me a good offer.”

http://www.tnainsider.com/2015/01/albert-el-patron-speaks-tna/

What is ICW?

My guess is both signed non-exclusive deals, as TNA seems to be letting up on that stipulation regarding its' performers lately. Havok was allowed to appear for Shine's iPPV and I think one of their other performers is also performing elsewhere in the coming month.

What is ICW?

My guess is both signed non-exclusive deals, as TNA seems to be letting up on that stipulation regarding its' performers lately. Havok was allowed to appear for Shine's iPPV and I think one of their other performers is also performing elsewhere in the coming month.

The biggest Scottish promotion and where Galloway got his start. The event was in Scotland and featured ICW talent. ICW is actually amazingly popular in the UK, where it's shown on BBC.

Side note, TNA did a favour to Canadian fans by making Impact free to watch via YouTube. Classy move to make while they lack a home up here.

Here's Galloway's return to ICW after being released from WWE:

How can you guys still watch wrestling? Isn't it the same basic thing it's been for the past 30 years? HBO, Showtime or one of the other pay channels should get in on the act and make a completely less wholesome adult version, with cursing, T/A, more violence, etc.

How can you guys still watch wrestling? Isn't it the same basic thing it's been for the past 30 years?

Is it scripted? Yup. Are the punches real? Nope. Are the bumps real? Absolutely, even if their delivery is pre-determined. Does any of that actually matter? Not to me. And not to most wrestling fans, I'd imagine (though I'll let them speak for themselves).

At the end of the day, or the end of the show, pro wrestling is simply adult-oriented story-telling that rides on a wave of visual athleticism. It's often along the same stories told year-after-year (David v. Goliath, good versus evil, etc), but at it's core it's simply a visual depiction of "good guys" versus "bad guys" where eventually, the good guys prevail and justice is served. Much in the same way you would watch a Western movie knowing that by the end of it the cowboy is almost assuredly going to win, kiss the girl and ride off into the sunset after gunning down the bad guy, we do the same, just to a different theme. It's why I detest the patronizing "you know it's fake, right?" question. When I'm in a good mood, I'll respond kindly by explaining that yes, I know it's "fake", and no, I don't care. On less kind days, I fire back similar jabs like "You know 'Homeland' is fake too, right? And 'Dexter'? And 'Ray Donovan'? And any other scripted show you watch and enjoy and are able to suspend disbelief over?

So sure, it's been the same basic thing for the past thirty years, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable IMO. I still "mark out" all the time when a new guy debuts or the underdog wins the title, etc. Even when I can see it coming a mile away.

Is it a little ridiculous that I watch scripted athleticism where guys in tights "fight" over titles? Maybe. But no better or worse than any other scripted fiction on television, I'd argue. At the end of the day, is wrestling really that much worse than say... Duck Dynasty? The Bachelor? The Jerry Springer Show?

HBO, Showtime or one of the other pay channels should get in on the act and make a completely less wholesome adult version, with cursing, T/A, more violence, etc.

TNA (Impact Wrestling) actually did do what you were suggesting. So did ECW. It didn't work. Sex sells, but it doesn't really sell. Wrestling fans, as a whole, tend to buy in more with classic story-telling than they do debauchery for the sake of debauchery. I could show you clip after clip of shit TNA tried to pull off to get people talking. Even WWE. Some of it is disgusting and ridiculous, but the reason a lot of it failed to work is because wrestling fans are a lot smarter than most people give them credit for — including the people running the show. People who I would argue regularly underestimate the intelligence of their audience.

I'm sure you watched wrestling, even if it were only for a short time in your life. Think back — what are the most memorable moments for you? Yamaguchi threatening to "choppy choppy yo pee pee" to Val Venis, or Hogan slamming Andre? Orlando Jordan squirting white lotion on his chest, imitating ejaculate, or Randy Savage marrying Elizabeth? I think you get my point.

The biggest Scottish promotion and where Galloway got his start. The event was in Scotland and featured ICW talent. ICW is actually amazingly popular in the UK, where it's shown on BBC.

Side note, TNA did a favour to Canadian fans by making Impact free to watch via YouTube. Classy move to make while they lack a home up here.

Here's Galloway's return to ICW after being released from WWE:

He's probably doing both. If he's not operating with an exclusivity clause, he is probably in TNA for a run here, only to head back to ICW or elsewhere and sort of come and go as he pleases.

The exclusivity clause is what lost them ADR, from what I've read. He just didn't want to go back to being restricted in the same way WWE restricted him. My bet is he ends up in TNA later this year anyway, but on a non-exclusive deal, which would allow him to come in for a run and still do whatever else it is he wanted to.

It's just good business for TNA to operate with, really. Makes them less and less of a WWE copy cat too, leaving WWE the only model requiring its' talents cannot appear elsewhere.

Is it scripted? Yup. Are the punches real? Nope. Are the bumps real? Absolutely, even if their delivery is pre-determined. Does any of that actually matter? Not to me. And not to most wrestling fans, I'd imagine (though I'll let them speak for themselves).

At the end of the day, or the end of the show, pro wrestling is simply adult-oriented story-telling that rides on a wave of visual athleticism. It's often along the same stories told year-after-year (David v. Goliath, good versus evil, etc), but at it's core it's simply a visual depiction of "good guys" versus "bad guys" where eventually, the good guys prevail and justice is served. Much in the same way you would watch a Western movie knowing that by the end of it the cowboy is almost assuredly going to win, kiss the girl and ride off into the sunset after gunning down the bad guy, we do the same, just to a different theme. It's why I detest the patronizing "you know it's fake, right?" question. When I'm in a good mood, I'll respond kindly by explaining that yes, I know it's "fake", and no, I don't care. On less kind days, I fire back similar jabs like "You know 'Homeland' is fake too, right? And 'Dexter'? And 'Ray Donovan'? And any other scripted show you watch and enjoy and are able to suspend disbelief over?

So sure, it's been the same basic thing for the past thirty years, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable IMO. I still "mark out" all the time when a new guy debuts or the underdog wins the title, etc. Even when I can see it coming a mile away.

Is it a little ridiculous that I watch scripted athleticism where guys in tights "fight" over titles? Maybe. But no better or worse than any other scripted fiction on television, I'd argue. At the end of the day, is wrestling really that much worse than say... Duck Dynasty? The Bachelor? The Jerry Springer Show?

TNA (Impact Wrestling) actually did do what you were suggesting. So did ECW. It didn't work. Sex sells, but it doesn't really sell. Wrestling fans, as a whole, tend to buy in more with classic story-telling than they do debauchery for the sake of debauchery. I could show you clip after clip of shit TNA tried to pull off to get people talking. Even WWE. Some of it is disgusting and ridiculous, but the reason a lot of it failed to work is because wrestling fans are a lot smarter than most people give them credit for — including the people running the show. People who I would argue regularly underestimate the intelligence of their audience.

I'm sure you watched wrestling, even if it were only for a short time in your life. Think back — what are the most memorable moments for you? Yamaguchi threatening to "choppy choppy yo pee pee" to Val Venis, or Hogan slamming Andre? Orlando Jordan squirting white lotion on his chest, imitating ejaculate, or Randy Savage marrying Elizabeth? I think you get my point.

Everytime you give me shit about a show I watch or complain about another show we both watch, I remind myself that you watch wrestling... :)

Yeah, I watched it when I was a kid. I remember the matches/skits you mentioned, but eventually I stopped after I found out it was fake and then saw the same things happening over and over again. I get that it's a male soap opera. I don't get why people watch soaps either. The difference between these things and shows like Homeland or Dexter is that the latter have quality acting, innovative writing and often have unsuspected twists and turns. Are you getting that out of wrestling? I see mostly complaints about poor acting and predictability. When a scripted TV show suffers from those two things (or even one of them) they end up failing.

Everytime you give me shit about a show I watch or complain about another show we both watch, I remind myself that you watch wrestling... :)

Right. And that's totally fine. Ultimately fiction and entertainment are subjective. What you like as an individual is what you like. I'd never tread on that. Not intentionally. Not unless what you liked was actually harmful. It's why I always say things like "I don't believe in bad music". All music exists as entertainment. Entertainment exists. You either like it or you don't. Not liking it doesn't make it not entertainment. It just makes it not entertaining for you, or me, or whomever.

I actually got into an argument over this with a buddy on Facebook who posted some making-its-rounds YouTube clip about how all country pop is the same. His opinion was that country pop is bad music. Mine was that bad music doesn't exist, and that no one forces him to listen to it, so if he doesn't enjoy it, he can not enjoy it without having to tell others that they shouldn't either. It isn't harmful to listen to Blake Shelton or Florida Georgia Line, so if someone enjoys listening to them, more power to them. Moreover, someone could easily turn the tables on him and post some video about how every hardcore song sounds the same, and how all the guys in hardcore bands look the same, etc. I'd be defending his right to enjoy that music (even though I don't like it) just the same.

Yeah, I watched it when I was a kid. I remember the matches/skits you mentioned, but eventually I stopped after I found out it was fake and then saw the same things happening over and over again. I get that it's a male soap opera. I don't get why people watch soaps either. The difference between these things and shows like Homeland or Dexter is that the latter have quality acting, innovative writing and often have unsuspected twists and turns. Are you getting that out of wrestling? I see mostly complaints about poor acting and predictability. When a scripted TV show suffers from those two things (or even one of them) they end up failing.

Absolutely. Ever hear the term "heel turn"? It's when a good guy turns bad in pro wrestling, if you haven't, and not all of them are predictable. Sometimes they legitimately come out of nowhere. In fact, the most infamous one, in which the fans in the arena threw garbage into the ring occurred when Hulk Hogan went "Hollywood" and formed the NWO with Kevin Nash and Scott Hall.

It's one of the greatest swerve moments in wrestling history, and the story behind it was told perfectly right down to the announcers' call of it.

As to the acting, well, I'd much rather they keep that to a minimum personally. They're mostly poor actors, so the less they have to do so the better simply because they aren't nearly as good at it as the actors and actresses on a show like 'Homeland'. But that's not to say that all wrestlers lack personality, charisma and the ability to speak either. A lot of them actually thrive on it. The Rock turned his ability with a microphone, along with his physique, into a Hollywood career in which he's now cast in one blockbuster every other year. He can thank wrestling for that.

Not every hit is a home run, but the ones that are are usually quite memorable. Whether that's in wrestling or any other avenue of entertainment.

Absolutely. Ever hear the term "heel turn"? It's when a good guy turns bad in pro wrestling, if you haven't, and not all of them are predictable. Sometimes they legitimately come out of nowhere. In fact, the most infamous one, in which the fans in the arena threw garbage into the ring occurred when Hulk Hogan went "Hollywood" and formed the NWO with Kevin Nash and Scott Hall.

It's one of the greatest swerve moments in wrestling history, and the story behind it was told perfectly right down to the announcers' call of it.

As to the acting, well, I'd much rather they keep that to a minimum personally. They're mostly poor actors, so the less they have to do so the better simply because they aren't nearly as good at it as the actors and actresses on a show like 'Homeland'. But that's not to say that all wrestlers lack personality, charisma and the ability to speak either. A lot of them actually thrive on it. The Rock turned his ability with a microphone, along with his physique, into a Hollywood career in which he's now cast in one blockbuster every other year. He can thank wrestling for that.

Not every hit is a home run, but the ones that are are usually quite memorable. Whether that's in wrestling or any other avenue of entertainment.

I get all this, but you keep pointing to things that happened decades ago. Are these extremely memorable twists still occurring or are you just hoping that sooner or later they will again?

I get all this, but you keep pointing to things that happened decades ago. Are these extremely memorable twists still occurring or are you just hoping that sooner or later they will again?

Still happening. I'm using things that happened decades ago because they'd be more relevant to what you know of the sport/entertainment. I'm not sure it'd have the same effect if I'm showing you Eric Young turning on Bobby Roode, because I'm pretty sure you haven't a clue who either man is.

I'm not even a WWE fan, but I think torontynyr actually posted a equally amazing moment from WWE last year, give or take, where Mark Henry was apparently announcing his retirement, had the crowd in tears, only to turn on John Cena and beat the snot out of him. Utterly shocking. But again, I'm not sure you'll know who these men are.

But remember, it's not just about twists, either. I already admitted that a lot of the stories are told and retold, but it doesn't change the story line appreciation at all. I mean, when a seventh round draft pick turns into a star in the NHL, are you shocked? You might be somewhat shocked that your teams' pick managed to pan out, but it's not as though this has never occurred before in sports, right? I mean, it happens every now and then. Yet you still appreciate it when it occurs despite the fact it's not utterly original.

The key is simply telling the right story. The story the audience wants to be told. That's the thing about wrestling that makes it so unique. It's a meritocracy in so many ways, where the guys who the fans really love and support are the ones who actually get pushed hardest (in most cases).

But here, you want a quick compilation list of a lot of moments I "marked out" for? Right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtTa5Q4r4ao

Still happening. I'm using things that happened decades ago because they'd be more relevant to what you know of the sport/entertainment. I'm not sure it'd have the same effect if I'm showing you Eric Young turning on Bobby Roode, because I'm pretty sure you haven't a clue who either man is.

I'm not even a WWE fan, but I think torontynyr actually posted a equally amazing moment from WWE last year, give or take, where Mark Henry was apparently announcing his retirement, had the crowd in tears, only to turn on John Cena and beat the snot out of him. Utterly shocking. But again, I'm not sure you'll know who these men are.

But remember, it's not just about twists, either. I already admitted that a lot of the stories are told and retold, but it doesn't change the story line appreciation at all. I mean, when a seventh round draft pick turns into a star in the NHL, are you shocked? You might be somewhat shocked that your teams' pick managed to pan out, but it's not as though this has never occurred before in sports, right? I mean, it happens every now and then. Yet you still appreciate it when it occurs despite the fact it's not utterly original.

The key is simply telling the right story. The story the audience wants to be told. That's the thing about wrestling that makes it so unique. It's a meritocracy in so many ways, where the guys who the fans really love and support are the ones who actually get pushed hardest (in most cases).

But here, you want a quick compilation list of a lot of moments I "marked out" for? Right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtTa5Q4r4ao

Seems like a lot of guys laying down on the job.

Right. And that's totally fine. Ultimately fiction and entertainment are subjective. What you like as an individual is what you like. I'd never tread on that. Not intentionally. Not unless what you liked was actually harmful. It's why I always say things like "I don't believe in bad music". All music exists as entertainment. Entertainment exists. You either like it or you don't. Not liking it doesn't make it not entertainment. It just makes it not entertaining for you, or me, or whomever.

I actually got into an argument over this with a buddy on Facebook who posted some making-its-rounds YouTube clip about how all country pop is the same. His opinion was that country pop is bad music. Mine was that bad music doesn't exist, and that no one forces him to listen to it, so if he doesn't enjoy it, he can not enjoy it without having to tell others that they shouldn't either. It isn't harmful to listen to Blake Shelton or Florida Georgia Line, so if someone enjoys listening to them, more power to them. Moreover, someone could easily turn the tables on him and post some video about how every hardcore song sounds the same, and how all the guys in hardcore bands look the same, etc. I'd be defending his right to enjoy that music (even though I don't like it) just the same.

Right. For me, I was never really that into wrestling, but more so when I realized it was fake. But I also get watching trash TV and guilty pleasures, as well. I watch the Real World and the RW Challenge. I was sad when Diem died. I really like CT. I understand that they're basically characters on a show. They are playing themselves, but caricatures of themselves because they're in a bottle under a microscope.

Ultimately, like anything else, just because wrestling isn't my thing it doesn't mean I'm going to go out of my way to shit on it.

That said, for long-time wrestling fans, like Dave said — You have to wonder why they are sticking around so long when the product has been in steady decline (according to this thread).

Right. For me, I was never really that into wrestling, but more so when I realized it was fake. But I also get watching trash TV and guilty pleasures, as well. I watch the Real World and the RW Challenge. I was sad when Diem died. I really like CT. I understand that they're basically characters on a show. They are playing themselves, but caricatures of themselves because they're in a bottle under a microscope.

Ultimately, like anything else, just because wrestling isn't my thing it doesn't mean I'm going to go out of my way to shit on it.

That said, for long-time wrestling fans, like Dave said — You have to wonder why they are sticking around so long when the product has been in steady decline (according to this thread).

The hope it picks up again. Peaks and valleys kind of thing.

I mean, you have to remember, back in the 80's, when a lot of fans will tell you it was "at it's best", the ratings didn't reflect it. It took WWF and WCW going head-to-head on Monday Nights to really put it on the map again. That was actually the peak, where the 80's were more of a valley (by comparison).

The problem with the valley they are in right now is that there's simply more avenues for entertainment today than there were even in the 90's. The competition for eyeballs is that much harder. It's why getting your program on the right network, in the right time slot is so critical. WWE struggles weekly with Monday Night Football, for example, because they compete directly with it for viewership. Football viewing in the U.S. has skyrocketed over the last twenty years, to where it's now clearly the most watched sport in the nation. WWE is going up against that every single Monday. Not an easy task, ya know?

I look at it the same way I would hockey, were it in a similar funk. Like let's say there's a season where all the stars get hurt, or have retired, etc. Are you going to quit watching because it's not as entertaining, or are you going to wait for more stars to eventually come in, knowing that by the nature of the business, they have to? Or even just with the Rangers. Let's say the cap some how forces the Rangers to basically let a bunch of their talent go. Are you gonna not watch Rangers games while they rebuild, or are you going to be there every step of the way hoping/knowing they'll get back on top?

The hope it picks up again. Peaks and valleys kind of thing.

I mean, you have to remember, back in the 80's, when a lot of fans will tell you it was "at it's best", the ratings didn't reflect it. It took WWF and WCW going head-to-head on Monday Nights to really put it on the map again. That was actually the peak, where the 80's were more of a valley (by comparison).

The problem with the valley they are in right now is that there's simply more avenues for entertainment today than there were even in the 90's. The competition for eyeballs is that much harder. It's why getting your program on the right network, in the right time slot is so critical. WWE struggles weekly with Monday Night Football, for example, because they compete directly with it for viewership. Football viewing in the U.S. has skyrocketed over the last twenty years, to where it's now clearly the most watched sport in the nation. WWE is going up against that every single Monday. Not an easy task, ya know?

I look at it the same way I would hockey, were it in a similar funk. Like let's say there's a season where all the stars get hurt, or have retired, etc. Are you going to quit watching because it's not as entertaining, or are you going to wait for more stars to eventually come in, knowing that by the nature of the business, they have to? Or even just with the Rangers. Let's say the cap some how forces the Rangers to basically let a bunch of their talent go. Are you gonna not watch Rangers games while they rebuild, or are you going to be there every step of the way hoping/knowing they'll get back on top?

Yea but hockey is real, and therefore sometimes you'll get a talent drought. Wrestling is manufactured. Shouldn't be that hard. Why can't wrestling go on another night besides Monday?

Manufactured or not, it still takes a specific talent set to make it work. The same as it does in "real" sports. Star power doesn't come just by means of raw talent. A lot of times the biggest stars are the ones with the most personality, the most marketability, on top of their actual gifts. P.K. Subban is a star not just because of what he can do on the ice, but what he can and does do off it. Much in the same way Roenick, Ovechkin, etc. are/were sold.

Wrestling does occur on nights outside of Monday, but Monday Night Raw has been a flagship program, specifically on Monday's for decades. I doubt WWE has ever truly considered moving it, because not only is it a concession of defeat, but there is 23 years of sale you are trying to now move to a new night. I forget the industry term I'm looking for, but there's "brand value" essentially in that time slot. People know it.

Even "casual" wrestling fans like Nik, for example, just know instinctively that Raw is on Monday nights. That's a lot of shock to the system if you all of a sudden decide 'fuck it, we're on Tuesdays now'.