• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Soccer Talk Thread

Jules

17 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Love the money laundering going on for Kroenke. Big W in my books. Arteta was even at an Avalanche game with Kroenke a week ago!

I assumed he was at that game to discuss January Transfers. I guess not.

It would have been nice to sign someone. trying to stay rational about it though.

saw somewhere that in the past year, arsenal have cut their wages in half by offloading players. Hopefully that frees up money for some offseason signings. Still, we are seriously in the CL race. While we are out of all the cups and don't have any European football left, any injury in any position puts us in a tough spot.

52 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I assumed he was at that game to discuss January Transfers. I guess not.

It would have been nice to sign someone. trying to stay rational about it though.

saw somewhere that in the past year, arsenal have cut their wages in half by offloading players. Hopefully that frees up money for some offseason signings. Still, we are seriously in the CL race. While we are out of all the cups and don't have any European football left, any injury in any position puts us in a tough spot.

I definitely get it. Our squad was bloated with CL wages for a Europa League/Non-Europe team for years now. Ozil, Auba, all the extra trash. We're just super thin that if multiple injuries happen, we're screwed for CL this year. We have one backup CB, and we let Chambers go instead of Cedric which I think was the wrong move. Our offense has gone stale of late and having no contributions from either of our strikers is painful. Both of our strikers are leaving at the end of the season too, which is very worrisome.

2 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I definitely get it. Our squad was bloated with CL wages for a Europa League/Non-Europe team for years now. Ozil, Auba, all the extra trash. We're just super thin that if multiple injuries happen, we're screwed for CL this year. We have one backup CB, and we let Chambers go instead of Cedric which I think was the wrong move. Our offense has gone stale of late and having no contributions from either of our strikers is painful. Both of our strikers are leaving at the end of the season too, which is very worrisome.

I agree with this, but also think to Saliba coming in. Someone had to move to make room for him. Probably easier to get a taker for Chambers than to get one for Cedric. Chambers also probably sees the writing on the wall and is asking for a move so he doesnt become 4th-5th choice CB

9 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I agree with this, but also think to Saliba coming in. Someone had to move to make room for him. Probably easier to get a taker for Chambers than to get one for Cedric. Chambers also probably sees the writing on the wall and is asking for a move so he doesnt become 4th-5th choice CB

Chambers and Cedric were both on expiring deals. Bellerin technically is still ours and on loan, could be a free solution next season. I just rather Chambers be our cover for 6 months instead of Cedric. We'll have a bit more depth next season with Saliba and Mari coming back from loan, I agree. Same with AMN in midfield/RB. Going forward is the biggest concern for me now.

Imagine being in from a place near the equator where the current temperature in February is a high of 85* today. These guys are not built for the cold. I don't know why USA soccer scheduled this game in Minnesota instead of Florida, Texas, or the Carolinas. Even if it's a "competitive advantage" that's still kinda shady to me.

33 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Imagine being in from a place near the equator where the current temperature in February is a high of 85* today. These guys are not built for the cold. I don't know why USA soccer scheduled this game in Minnesota instead of Florida, Texas, or the Carolinas. Even if it's a "competitive advantage" that's still kinda shady to me.

Nah I like it. You use whatever advantage you can get. I guess it's easier for the Honduras players to play in high temperature then for the Americans, so it goes both ways.

I'm just impressed and happy Pulisic got through the game without getting injured again lol.

When is the qualifier done? How are your chances atm?

39 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Nah I like it. You use whatever advantage you can get. I guess it's easier for the Honduras players to play in high temperature then for the Americans, so it goes both ways.

I'm just impressed and happy Pulisic got through the game without getting injured again lol.

When is the qualifier done? How are your chances atm?

Looks like we're in pretty good shape. 2nd in the table, tied with Mexico but ahead on goal differential. Four points ahead of Panama with three games left I believe? Going against Mexico, Panama, and Costa Rica. Definitely need to beat Panama head to head to put it to bed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Fuck that. These Central American shit holes have been playing every advantage for decades. This has been a long time coming. Mexico doesn't have to play at Azteca at 80,000 feet above sea level. Hondurans don't have to throw bags of piss at opposing goalies.

I've been waiting for this moment my entire life, to curb stomp these teams has been exhilarating.

I thought Canada played like shit last night, and still walk out of El Salvador with the 1st win in 30 years.

Missing Davies, and Eustachio for most of this window and get all 9 points.

Nobody in CONCACAF has half the fire power this team does, depth is an issue though lol

6 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Not shady at all. Teams at higher elevations use that to their advantage. Extreme hes5 is used as an advantage too. Fuck em. It’s about time we start playing qualifiers in places that give us an advantage. 

15 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Not shady at all. Teams at higher elevations use that to their advantage. Extreme hes5 is used as an advantage too. Fuck em. It’s about time we start playing qualifiers in places that give us an advantage. 

Aright cool then. I wasn't aware of the history, I'm not a big follower of the national teams tbh. Fuck'em indeed

5 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Aright cool then. I wasn't aware of the history, I'm not a big follower of the national teams tbh. Fuck'em indeed

I think Bolivia has a high elevation and teams routinely have a difficult time playing there. Thankfully it’s not a concern for us since they are in South America.  A lot of these other teams have a pitch that is not even remotely up to standards for a professional game but the US would be forced to play on it. Or incredibly hostile environments and accommodations. 

I know for decades we would play US qualifiers home games in places like San Diego or Texas against a team like Mexico or Honduras or whoever where there are extremely large populations of away supporters. Our games rarely felt like home games and I guarantee you our away matches DEFINITELY didn’t feel remotely like being home. 

For the qualifiers I think for the 18 World Cup, we were forced to play in Ho duras in 95 degree weather on a pitch where the grass was left to grow longer than usual. 

here, take a look at this article from the LA Times and you’ll get why us finally using so,e advantage is necessary

https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/story/2021-09-08/concacaf-world-cup-qualifying

20 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I think Bolivia has a high elevation and teams routinely have a difficult time playing there. Thankfully it’s not a concern for us since they are in South America.  A lot of these other teams have a pitch that is not even remotely up to standards for a professional game but the US would be forced to play on it. Or incredibly hostile environments and accommodations. 

I know for decades we would play US qualifiers home games in places like San Diego or Texas against a team like Mexico or Honduras or whoever where there are extremely large populations of away supporters. Our games rarely felt like home games and I guarantee you our away matches DEFINITELY didn’t feel remotely like being home. 

For the qualifiers I think for the 18 World Cup, we were forced to play in Ho duras in 95 degree weather on a pitch where the grass was left to grow longer than usual. 

here, take a look at this article from the LA Times and you’ll get why us finally using so,e advantage is necessary

https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/story/2021-09-08/concacaf-world-cup-qualifying

Holy shit. Fuck empathy. Fuck'em all. Fuck...not you Dunny I guess you're still okay for now.

• LOL 2
  • Applause 1

As an aside, I'd like to point out the simply amazing work Wayne Rooney is doing at Derby County this season as manager. 21 point deduction because of financial woes. 2nd bottom in the table, 7 points from safety. Without the deduction they would be 16th, 16 points ahead of the drop. I'm quietly rooting for them to avoid relegation despite the issues that caused them to be where they are.

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

Holy shit. Fuck empathy. Fuck'em all. Fuck...not you Dunny I guess you're still okay for now.

Yeah man. It’s bad when the US go anywhere away during qualifiers. I’m not sure if Canada faces the same hostility or not. I a, laughing though with so,3 of the articles coming out saying how unfair it was to play in the cold. If you’re bored look up USA Honduras highlights from 2027 qualifier where we drew away 1-1. You can’t see the length of grass too well on tv but you can see the ball just dying instead of rolling and the players feet almost disappearing in the grass since it’s so long. 

All that other stuff being thrown at the players or mysteriously losing luggage , parties, etc, is just freaking insane. Cant believe it’s taken this long for us to do something to have our own advantage. I guess we just know the retribution for next time is going to be even worse

12 hours ago, Keirik said:

All that other stuff being thrown at the players or mysteriously losing luggage , parties, etc, is just freaking insane. Cant believe it’s taken this long for us to do something to have our own advantage. I guess we just know the retribution for next time is going to be even worse

You definitely got something to learn from Europe in that regard. Here it's all about using every advantage you can get.

When I read about cold weather and snow stopping football matches I always think about the Tromsø - Chelsea match in 1997. I obviously didn't watch the game live since I was a baby, but I've watched it with my dad a couple times. It's a mess of a game lol.

This is the conditions I've played half of my football career in lol. Fortunately I don't live all the way up north in Tromsø, but it gets bad here in the winter aswell. I guess I should've gone for hockey instead of football.

My home club once played during a storm that tore away the unfinished roof of the new stadium they played in (when no one was inside yet).

Standard situations were basically impossible, as the wind blew away the Ball and having a holder isn't really practicable in soccer. 😄 They managed to win that one.

They also played beat Bayern in January once and Bayern players afterwards complained about there being plates of Ice on the field. That was before the field could be heated up for a game like this.

Before my time there was the famous "water-battle of Frankfurt" during the 1974 World Cup between Germany and Poland (1-0). Field couldn't handle the rain.

• The Chyt! 1

7 minutes ago, H-Dreamer said:

My home club once played during a storm that tore away the unfinished roof of the new stadium they played in (when no one was inside yet).

Lol this reminds me of when my local club was close to winning their first title in 15 years so they wanted to do something cool.

They decided to have a guy parachute onto the field at halftime. Not really the smartest idea, especially not in Norway in february.

1d652fd8-392c-4704-af5e-f5baf6400107?fit=crop&format=auto&h=300&w=199&s=f4aaf69985e4501d64f95e2a1c2735deb561170b

Landed on top of the new roof and ended up hanging there for a good half hour before they got him down. They won the game, but not the title. Still not won one since, 33 years and counting now...

6 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Lol this reminds me of when my local club was close to winning their first title in 15 years so they wanted to do something cool.

They decided to have a guy parachute onto the field at halftime. Not really the smartest idea, especially not in Norway in february.

1d652fd8-392c-4704-af5e-f5baf6400107?fit=crop&format=auto&h=300&w=199&s=f4aaf69985e4501d64f95e2a1c2735deb561170b

Landed on top of the new roof and ended up hanging there for a good half hour before they got him down. They won the game, but not the title. Still not won one since, 33 years and counting now...

35 and that was just a cup, 39 for the league and they don't even play Bundesliga anymore, so yh not holding my breath. lol