• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Soccer Talk Thread

Jules

26 minutes ago, I am Scags said:

Insane, and this is the second consecutive that they won't make it. maybe its karma for beating england in the euro final last year lol

Then you add that they didn't make it out of the group stage in 2010 and 2014, so the last time they did anything at a World Cup was in 2006 when they won it.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/28/roman-abramovich-ukraine-officials-may-have-been-poisoned-report/

Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich and Ukrainian officials — who were negotiating an end to Moscow’s invasion reportedly — suffered symptoms suggesting they were poisoned, according to a Wall Street Journal report.

Abramovich, the owner of the British soccer club Chelsea FC who has been sanctioned by the United Kingdom, has been shuttling between Moscow, Lviv, Kyiv, and other locales in a diplomatic push to end the fighting, according to the Journal.

This story just keeps getting worse. UK sanctioned him, stole him off the Club he's owned and loved for 20 years. Now he's using his time to help with peace negotiations (as he previously said he will). And would you look at that. Putin didn't like it and is now apparently trying to kill him (or atleast scare or threat him). Who would've thought that???

What a fucking mess.

Yeah dude I saw that and that's fucked. Poisoning a former ally and officials involved in peace talks. Doesn't surprise me with what has occurred with Navalny, but it's pathetic nonetheless. We should've been wiser to it with Navalny, as well as when other dissenters "fell" out of buildings, etc, but we let it go unchecked. 

Really feel it for Abramovich who's stuck between sanctions from the West and attacks from the East. Not sure he can do anything except hide in some remote part of the world?

Edited by Cash or Czech

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

Not sure he can do anything except hide in some remote part of the world?

Probably the only safe thing for him to do yes, but he got way too many people depending on him (and his money) so that's not possible.

This is what happens when people can't be rational and just needs to do something just to look virtuous. The UK Government basically gave him one option and that is to go against Putin and (most likely) get himself or someone close to him jailed or killed. And they have no real evidence on Roman helping Putin in any way other than help him to get to power in early 2000's, and that's not a crime. Especially not 15 years later.

So complex situation and they just had to rush to some sort of conclusion so they didn't look bad. So far they've made hundreds of Londoners lose they're job, they're refusing Chelsea fans to watch their team play, ruined the image of the Club (and the EPL) and they've made Roman a public enemy of Putin. Good job!

9 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Still doesn't make sense to me that USA ranks 15th in the world and Canada ranks 38th, despite Canada topping the CONCACAF table and beating us head to head in January.

The fifa rankings have always been a joke. There’s no rhyme or reason to it at all 

• TroCheckmark 1

On 3/31/2022 at 10:46 AM, Cash or Czech said:

Still doesn't make sense to me that USA ranks 15th in the world and Canada ranks 38th, despite Canada topping the CONCACAF table and beating us head to head in January.

Its a joke. Canada is clearly a very good young and up and coming program, and they shouldn't be looked at as less just because it will be 36 years since their last WC appearance

6 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

I mean can it get any easier for the US?  This and group A are probably by far the weakest group

Yea the FSI broadcast uttered the words "group of death".

I was like really?? lol

I know England will be tough, but the US has no excuse to not advance from that group

3 minutes ago, Dunny said:

We have zero depth. Zero. Other than up front, anyways.

I don't like our group. We're fucked, but all it takes is one upset. Both Croatia and Belgium are overated in ways.

I'll be honest I don't know much about Belgiums current team, so are they poised to make that next step again as they have done now the last few WCs, or have they reached their ceiling?

And I wouldn't sell yourselves short just yet, Canada has proven the doubters wrong, I give them a shot

A punchers chance, yeah, but one or two injuries and we're running out League 2 garbage, or 3rd division Norway types.

Belgium probably has missed their window, but still very good 

Croatia is stacked, but aging.

Wouldn't sleep on Morrocco, either.

Still, much to be proud of. Our X factor is the coach. He'll have some wrinkles for these teams they don't see coming.

It's gonna be a really tight race for 4th in the Prem. Arsenal, Spurs, and Man U all going for that spot and neither of them dropped points this weekend to help Arsenal. Gotta keep winning and rolling. Hope Saka and Ramsdale are healthy. Tomiyasu too, though Cedric has been okay I guess.

On 4/1/2022 at 9:35 PM, Dunny said:

3rd division Norway types.

Hey! Don't talk down on the norwegian 3rd division. I played a season there when I was 18, really high level football being played there 😅

USA should manage that group, although I wouldn't sleep on Iran. They're the best team from Asia.

Canada is worse. I would rank them #4 in their group honestly. Marocco not been as good as expected recently, but they got a talented and underrated team.

• Thanks 1

I would not take our group B lightly as an American. Iran will play with everything in their power to make sure they beat the “evil USA.” Just like last time. This isn’t remotely an easy group. No group of death but you’d be surprised how much certain companies prioritize beating our country really is.