• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[Non-forum related] Fantasy Hockey

Cash or Czech

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Uhh, are you sure that's not a 2 team league? That lineup is insane.

There are several people in my league who know dick about hockey and some of them pretend to by picking not so obvious names when the obvious name is just better. Then I take a guy like Grabovski who's wayyy down in the rankings far below our last pick and they question it.

How'd you get all 3 of those goalies?

Not sure, cause I waited on goalies quite a bit. While people were taking the top goalies that play on teams that don't win I waited and got guys who aren't considered elite goalies but win games on good teams.

There are several people in my league who know dick about hockey and some of them pretend to by picking not so obvious names when the obvious name is just better. Then I take a guy like Grabovski who's wayyy down in the rankings far below our last pick and they question it.

Not sure, cause I waited on goalies quite a bit. While people were taking the top goalies that play on teams that don't win I waited and got guys who aren't considered elite goalies but win games on good teams.

Ant, all you need to do to win your league, is set your roster on occasion.

First time I'm doing a 20 team league.

Any advice on getting a goalie, especially since there are 2 goalie slots?

Should I get one real early?

Depends on how the draft goes, really. You can grab 2 early, make sure they are the 70-game type (Luongo, Backstrom, Lehtonen, Howard, bad backups) but you have to think about the format of the league and the categories.

For instance, I play in a league that's pretty standard categories, straight fantasy scoring. Last season, Pavelic only had about 30 less points at the end of the year than Lundqvist. So I wait on goalies in that league. I picked last and got Lu and Backstrom on a snake pick, and I was set because barring injury, those guys are lock starters for 65+ games. Some guys carry 3 goalies. I don't.

If you can get 3 solid starters in a 20-team league, that is money.

I'd recommend taking a tier 1 goalies early - Lundqvist, Rask, Rinne. Then take a tier 3/4 goalie late. Depending on the league settings, take a workhorse from a crappy team or a backup from a top team.

Yeah, I think you have to try and nab at least one of the "studs" in the first 2 or 3 rounds. In a 20-team league you don't want to get stuck with some mediocre goaltender. It's going to be much tougher to pry one away later on...people will hoard them like gold in a league that deep. You definitely want a guy that's a lock to start at least 70+ games, and one that's on a good team. Good forward options pop up on the wire all the time. Players get hurt, top prospects get called up, etc. It's much tougher, however, to grab a good goaltender on the wire. If taking Henrik in Round 2 means you miss out on a top forward, the discrepancy between the forward you get in Rounds 3 or 4 won't be anywhere near the discrepancy at goaltending if you wait.

There's an elite class of about 5 goalies, and then there's everyone else. You want to have stock in at least one of those elite goalies. Especially if that means you don't have to carry 3 goalies and can use that roster spot on a sleeper instead.

Archived