• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hey Yo: WWE, AEW, Impact and More

Phil

Jarrett returned, and his new promotion Global Force Wrestling (GFW) has "invaded" TNA because on-screen Dixie allowed him back in, gave him control of the show and let him bring his roster on.

It's really, really dumb.

This barely qualifies as an invasion. It's a platform to get Jarrett and GFW some national exposure.

I'll tell you how this should have ended...

With GFW winning and re-branding the beyond-repair brand of TNA, to go along with a real-life repurchase of majority stock/control in the company from Jarrett (who owns a minority stake still).

You could then either re-negotiate with Destination America regarding the rumored cancellation, or sell, in effect, a brand new show to new networks for the fall.

Whats good about WWE is how the fans have begun to seriously pick and choose who they like and are very vocal about it live. They aren't cheering for who the WWE is trying to force as the next face/bad guy. Often mocking main event talent, and cheering heels such as Owens.

Really wish they would repackage some guys. Like Rybak. The feed me more shit he feels the need to get chanted is... fucking stupid.

I like Bray Wyatt. Creepy character, that is getting stale. Move on with the story line already.

They have a decent roster. The writing just sucks balls.

Heard on the news that Superfly Snooka was arrested for the murder of his wife (happened years ago).

Yup.

On Tuesday, Snuka, 72, was charged with third-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter after a Lehigh County grand jury determined he repeatedly assaulted Argentino in May 1983 in the motel and then left her in bed to die.

"His assaultive acts and his failure to act to obtain medical attention resulted in her death," the grand jury wrote in a presentment July 17, recommending he be charged with homicide.

Lehigh County District Attorney Jim Martin announced the charges at a news conference two years after the case was reopened. The grand jury probe was prompted by a 2013 Morning Call investigation that raised questions about the Argentino case 30 years after her death. The Morning Call story revealed a never-before-seen autopsy report that labeled the case a homicide.

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-jimmy-snuka-grand-jury-announcement-20150901-story.html

--

Not sure he'll even make it to trial though. He's battling stomach cancer from what I understand, and not doing well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Damn, she needs to get into adult films, now!

IDK about that, but she is a great effing example of creative writing a characterarch. Here's here transition from point A-Now. Subtle things such as how she interacts with allies and opponents significantly changes over time in an organic fashion. If only WWE would take this approach with everyone, as opposed to swerves.

I watched two of the NXT Takeover shows. Pretty cool product, but the jaded WCW/TNA apologist in me struggles with the commentary and the fact that despite carrying a lot of names I know and love (Joe and Storm, for example), at the end of the day, it's a WWE wolf in sheeps clothing.

When Storm debuted and the announcer said something like "He's spent the last fifteen years on the independent scene!" I groaned so loudly I thought I'd wake up my sleeping kid.

I watched two of the NXT Takeover shows. Pretty cool product, but the jaded WCW/TNA apologist in me struggles with the commentary and the fact that despite carrying a lot of names I know and love (Joe and Storm, for example), at the end of the day, it's a WWE wolf in sheeps clothing.

When Storm debuted and the announcer said something like "He's spent the last fifteen years on the independent scene!" I groaned so loudly I thought I'd wake up my sleeping kid.

I agree with you, that segment was in poor taste. WWE refuses to acknowledge TNA in a sort of Sun Tzu sort of way, with only the smallest mentions afforded to expatriots like Sting. I say largely in jest, but in a way, they weren't wrong about that statement. I can't take credit for this, it's being said.. everywhere... but TNA pays less than most independent promotions and could/would be viewed as such by WWE for all but a handful of years.

That said, stuff like that is a relative rarity in NXT, and while I totally understand your "wolf in sheeps clothing" fears, I still think the product is exceptional, compared to what's going on internally and externally in the westling business.

NXT reminds me of the wrestling I grew up watching, albeit on a much smaller scale.

TNA was the second largest promotion in the U.S. for more than a decade. The clear number two, who were paying their performers just fine. It's only in recent years that became an issue as they scaled the product back. When they were on Spike, when Spike was helping to pay for costs, they were paying a lot of guys a lot of money. Hogan, for example, was rumored to be making $35K per appearance, totalling more than $2M per year.

TNA, now, probably pays guys less than most independent promotions, and IMO it's not out of line to call them an independent promotion today. But to insisit that was always true isn't just disingenous. It's revisionist history. Which doesn't shock me considering who is doing the re-writing. WWE is no stranger to this kind of bullshit.

If NXT were treated as a separate product, the way OVW was years ago for example, I'd have almost no trouble at all watching and loving it. But it's clear there's still an agenda there to erase the history of guys coming in, especially coming in from TNA, just as there was years prior when WCW guys came in and had their pasts re-written or erased.

TNA was the second largest promotion in the U.S. for more than a decade. The clear number two, who were paying their performers just fine. It's only in recent years that became an issue as they scaled the product back. When they were on Spike, when Spike was helping to pay for costs, they were paying a lot of guys a lot of money. Hogan, for example, was rumored to be making $35K per appearance, totalling more than $2M per year.

TNA, now, probably pays guys less than most independent promotions, and IMO it's not out of line to call them an independent promotion today. But to insisit that was always true isn't just disingenous. It's revisionist history. Which doesn't shock me considering who is doing the re-writing. WWE is no stranger to this kind of bullshit.

If NXT were treated as a separate product, the way OVW was years ago for example, I'd have almost no trouble at all watching and loving it. But it's clear there's still an agenda there to erase the history of guys coming in, especially coming in from TNA, just as there was years prior when WCW guys came in and had their pasts re-written or erased.

Like I said, in jest. There's some truth to it, but I opened up with how I agree it's wrong.

As for NXT being an extension of the main product, I mean, yeah. It makes sense that when you have very litter external competition, you create your own brand that can be grown and called up in a pro-sports like feeder system. It's ingenious really.

With everything said though, I think HHH is on the right path with NXT and I wouldn't bet that things continue in Vince's fashion when he finally leaves the company.