• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [D] K'Andre Miller in 1st Rd. (22nd) Pick

Drew a Penalty

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gorton said he believed he was not going to be there at 26. That always raises the price, but also makes it worth it. If you like a player a lot, think he is BPA with impact player potential and think he'll be gone, then the 48th pick shouldn't hold you back. Sucks, but I'm gonna convince myself Anaheim knows D and was going to take him. Not far fetched.

going to play in wisconsin which has a habit of development on the blueline. kid has a nasty streak as well

As much as I'm down on picking D, I like that. The playoffs are a demolition derby and the refs swallow the whistle. D is allowed to batter and assault opposing forwards i/f/o the net with impunity. Of all the NYR current and prospect D, few can do that. This guy can.

This was the one guy I really wanted with one of our two late 1st round picks. It sucks that they had to give up a 2nd rounder to move up to get him but this kid can turn into a top pairing d-man. The unknown 2nd rounder probably doesn't have that high of a ceiling.

Absolutely my #1 pick for 26 and a lot of fans, experts and scouts think the same. We woulda screw up 48 anyway :)

His weaknesses are that he is still learning the position, having been a converted forward. That is not a weakness of his doing and he is growing into the position nicely. After that I can't find a serious weakness, everything is improvable.

Burns/Buff is a good comparison if he reaches his potential. Good driven kids with strong work ethic are the best bets to achieve their potential. Go US

As much as I'm down on picking D, I like that. The playoffs are a demolition derby and the refs swallow the whistle. D is allowed to batter and assault opposing forwards i/f/o the net with impunity. Of all the NYR current and prospect D, few can do that. This guy can.

Feel similarly. Especially as it's a dimension we were kind of lacking.

Now I remind myself he's only 18 and a frshman at Wisconsin and I'm just going to have to be patient.

My "concern" with Miller is he is an athlete first, hockey player second.

We need to be very careful and cognizant regarding his development, especially since he's only been playing defense the last few seasons. He could probably get by on athleticism, and be a solid bottom pair guy. Or he continues to develop (give him an extra season or 2), and he could develop into a #2. I don't want to see the organization (or the player) feel pressured into getting him into the NHL 'ASAP' and limit his potential.

We need to be very careful and cognizant regarding his development, especially since he's only been playing defense the last few seasons. He could probably get by on athleticism, and be a solid bottom pair guy. Or he continues to develop (give him an extra season or 2), and he could develop into a #2. I don't want to see the organization (or the player) feel pressured into getting him into the NHL 'ASAP' and limit his potential.

That's fair. Wisconsin is a perfect place for him to be and we can see what he does this year against older kids. He'll learn a good D system and get the fundamentals down this year. No pressure, just listen to your coaches learn and enjoy.

He improved nicely throughout the year on the USNT. He won't have Oliver the closer to pass it to, though. He's really dedicated and willing, he had a real good rep. I have a good feeling about his hockey aptitude. But yeah, he'll make mistakes every time he jumps a level and we shouldn't rush anyone up here. Miller, Lundkvist, Krav, Hajek, Howden in particular.

That's fair. Wisconsin is a perfect place for him to be and we can see what he does this year against older kids. He'll learn a good D system and get the fundamentals down this year. No pressure, just listen to your coaches learn and enjoy.

He improved nicely throughout the year on the USNT. He won't have Oliver the closer to pass it to, though. He's really dedicated and willing, he had a real good rep. I have a good feeling about his hockey aptitude. But yeah, he'll make mistakes every time he jumps a level and we shouldn't rush anyone up here. Miller, Lundkvist, Krav, Hajek, Howden in particular.

To me, he still looks very raw.

And I think there will always be pressure to develop, and develop quickly, when you are a first round pick.

And by take our time, I mean, potentially 4 years, plus 1 in the AHL. (McDonagh was 3 + 1/2 in AHL, for comparison)

To me, he still looks very raw.

And I think there will always be pressure to develop, and develop quickly, when you are a first round pick.

And by take our time, I mean, potentially 4 years, plus 1 in the AHL. (McDonagh was 3 + 1/2 in AHL, for comparison)

Pressure can be managed with good mgmt. The pressure picks up once mgmt handles expectations poorly and doesn't put a wet blanket on any hype.

Josh, times they are a changing. No reason to think talented fast physical 1st rounders need five years before being able to break into the league. Even raw defenders... and he is not raw or immature in a number of areas. He'll have no problem with the speed of the game or the size, something a lot of kids can't say.

That's actually part of why I like his upside so much. Imagine how much more he can grow focusing exclusively on hockey.

I agree that he's raw, but he's very different than, say, Sean Day. Miller doesn't depend on playmaking or splash plays, and is elite in the draft class at NZ and zone entry defense. Those skills translate pretty quickly to the NHL.

He's really a lot like Marc Staal, who was in the NHL 2 years after being drafted and only played a dozen games in the AHL.

That's actually part of why I like his upside so much. Imagine how much more he can grow focusing exclusively on hockey.

I agree that he's raw, but he's very different than, say, Sean Day. Miller doesn't depend on playmaking or splash plays, and is elite in the draft class at NZ and zone entry defense. Those skills translate pretty quickly to the NHL.

He's really a lot like Marc Staal, who was in the NHL 2 years after being drafted and only played a dozen games in the AHL.

i dont disagree with any of this, but therein lies my hesitation. He's got the size, can skate, and "he can bring the puck in the zone" so management throws him into the lineup, prematurely, when he has rounded out the rest of his game.

I want to see him be a great hockey player with amazing athleticism.

Not, an athlete playing hockey.

Just kind of adding to the discussion, Miller's analytics (though USNDP vs. CHL is kind of tricky), are phenomenal. Per Mitch Brown...

https://theathletic.com/398538/2018/06/20/brown-the-best-draft-eligible-defencemen-in-five-categories-tracked-by-the-chl-data-tracking-project/

If there’s one takeaway from this article, it’s that Ty Smith and K’Andre Miller are both excellent players. Of the nine different ways we evaluated the prospects, Ty Smith was top-four in five of them. Miller was top-two in six categories, including every measure of offence and the top player in neutral zone defence.

Miller is an athlete first, but he seems to know how to use it already, and he's more productive offensively than he's getting credit for, based on this.

i dont disagree with any of this, but therein lies my hesitation. He's got the size, can skate, and "he can bring the puck in the zone" so management throws him into the lineup, prematurely, when he has rounded out the rest of his game.

I want to see him be a great hockey player with amazing athleticism.

Not, an athlete playing hockey.

He?s playing next season in college. They?ll probably re-evaluate him again afterwards regarding the future but nothing management or scouting has said about him indicates that they think he?s ready to compete yet or any time soon really.

If I can say anything about this whole rebuild so far it?s that the team seems to be completely dedicated to making sure they?re doing it correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk