• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes — Round Two General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

32 minutes ago, Karan said:

I've been advocating for a while to go back to the playoff matchups based on 1-8 seeding, if anything just to create more variety in the matchups, and also to allow the top teams to fight it out in the conference finals. But looks like the NHL is dead set on fabricating these divisional "rivalries" so unfortunately it's probably here to stay.

They use to do 1-16 seeding.  I remember back in 81' I believe the Rangers played the Kings in the first round, then the Blues before losing to the Islanders.  It was cool to play different teams.  Regular season seemed to mean a bit more back then, but even just conference seeding 1-8 is better than the current format.

• Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

I want to see pain in his face after the first time he gets trucked. Then next shift, I want to watch the Canes just give the puck up and not go into the corners at all.

he's a unique weapon.  Lavi must use it.

on a side note: can you ban @BrooksBurner please?

• LMFAO 4

34 minutes ago, Karan said:

I couldn't recall if the NHL was in the habit of waiting until a round entirely completed before starting the next round.

Usually they do, but I do recall I think once or twice before (might have been last season or the season before) that they started one conference while the other conference was playing a game 7.  

Posted (edited)

So do we think game 1 will likely be Sunday? I’m coming up for game 1 or 2 haven’t decided yet. 

Also, why were the Canes betting favorites to Win the Cup over Rangers going into playoffs? I didn’t get that. 

Edited by CanesFanRandy

15 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Family Guy Fighting GIF

He's gonna play guaranteed. He is made for the playoffs. He said it n I agree. His constant pounding over a series pounds the life out of people. In addition Lavi loves him and has stated the positive effect his presence has on the whole team. 

A lot of folks were saying he'd not be present during the playoffs at all. He has had a net positive effect. 

I think as long as they are playing he will be there. If Chytil comes back my guess is someone else is in the press box. 

We will see....

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Br4d said:

18-2-1.

Even Laviolette is going to have to look at that set of numbers and wonder if he can bench Rempe and still win.

3-1-1 against playoff teams not named the Islanders. 0 games for reference against the Canes.

13 of those wins were against non playoff teams. The fact Rempe is super fun to watch against the Devils of the world doesn’t mean he’s the reason for the wins in that stretch. There should be legitimate concern he’s not a good enough skater against the Canes, and that Lavi didn’t trust him in the 3rd periods against a bad team like the Caps will leave the bench short. Especially if we start getting into OT games. Part of that isn’t Rempe’s fault. I think Lavi is scared the refs have targeted him and doesn’t want penalties at critical times.

Edited by BrooksBurner

33 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Family Guy Fighting GIF

Best part about this is it can also speak to the Rempe effect! Homer is Rempe. Peter is the entire Canes defense.

• Bullseye 1

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

3-1-1 against playoff teams not named the Islanders. 0 games for reference against the Canes.

13 of those wins were against non playoff teams. The fact Rempe is super fun to watch against the Devils of the world doesn’t mean he’s the reason for the wins in that stretch. There should be legitimate concern he’s not a good enough skater against the Canes, and that Lavi didn’t trust him in the 3rd periods against a bad team like the Caps will leave the bench short. Especially if we start getting into OT games. Part of that isn’t Rempe’s fault. I think Lavi is scared the refs have targeted him and doesn’t want penalties at critical times.

So Rempe doesn't start and the Rangers lose game one and Laviolette has to deal with that pressure now also.

The easy answer is start Rempe and then if he creates conditions where you want Chytil instead you dress Chytil instead.

This team looks different when Rempe is playing.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 4

8 minutes ago, Br4d said:

So Rempe doesn't start and the Rangers lose game one and Laviolette has to deal with that pressure now also.

The easy answer is start Rempe and then if he creates conditions where you want Chytil instead you dress Chytil instead.

Agreed. Rempe needs to play himself out of the lineup, and Chytil needs to play his way in.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

Rempe should play the home games, unless he's ridiculously out over his skis in game one.

So what? Lavi should be worried about best matchups, not questions from the press if they lose.

Are Rempe’s 6 min a game against Washington why they won all 4 games?

I think we have the X-factor players this time around.  Yes, every team has one or two but I think that this edition of the Rangers may have more of them.  Players who are a pain in the ass to play against under normal circumstances but who become a real pain in the ass come playoff time.  Gritty, physical, talented but with a mean streak and a nose for finding the puck in the big moment.  Vinnie and Goodrow have been there done that for years and they have already hit their 2nd-season stride this year. I thin k we will be able to add Will Cuylle and Alexi Lafreniere into that category after this series.

Both teams have talented stars.  We have depth and stoutness on defense.  Even more so since the recent re-pairing of Schneider and Miller.  We are a team that no longer gets pushed around by some of the heavier teams in the league.  No sir, not any more.  Which brings us back to the playoff X-facter guys.  Players who really get under the skin of opposing teams.  Player who draw penalties and players who move opposing players out of their comfort zones.  We have those players now, they are healthy, playing well and I think the series may turn on this point.  

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

23 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

So what? Lavi should be worried about best matchups, not questions from the press if they lose.

Part of the reason I believe, yes. It's a team game. He has def been contributing. 

14 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

I think we have the X-factor players this time around.  Yes, every team has one or two but I think that this edition of the Rangers may have more of them.  Players who are a pain in the ass to play against under normal circumstances but who become a real pain in the ass come playoff time.  Gritty, physical, talented but with a mean streak and a nose for finding the puck in the big moment.  Vinnie and Goodrow have been there done that for years and they have already hit their 2nd-season stride this year. I thin k we will be able to add Will Cuylle and Alexi Lafreniere into that category after this series.

Both teams have talented stars.  We have depth and stoutness on defense.  Even more so since the recent re-pairing of Schneider and Miller.  We are a team that no longer gets pushed around by some of the heavier teams in the league.  No sir, not any more.  Which brings us back to the playoff X-facter guys.  Players who really get under the skin of opposing teams.  Player who draw penalties and players who move opposing players out of their comfort zones.  We have those players now, they are healthy, playing well and I think the series may turn on this point.  

It's an optimum mix of grit n talent in my opinion. Spot on kick!

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

It's at least the reason they won the first game and for a fourth line player, that works for me. 

• Applause 1

Posted (edited)

I think we win in six. I think you have to play Rempe even if he is shelved during the third period in tight contests.

They definitely need to tighten up the defense in front of Igor though.

My biggest concern was if they had the postseason leader ship in the locker room. I’m not concerned anymore because I believe Trocheck has assumed that mantle. He is a man on a mission. For as good as Chris and Zibs are I never felt that way about them. Bread man is playing possessed as well

This should be edge of your seat lump in your throat hockey buckle up your chin straps

Edited by Slobberknocker
  • Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1

I'm still trying to get my mind around the expected goals stuff. How's this for a paradox? NYR played 3 games against CAR this season. In the 1st and 3rd, they were well underwater for 5v5 xGF% (40.22 and 41.70) and in the 2nd they cleared 50% (50.39) according to NST. 

Except they won the 1st and 3rd games 2-1 and 1-0 respectively and lost the 2nd 6-1 (which was during the Rangers' January slump). So, when they had the best xGF%, they got completely blown out, while at a significant xGF% deficit they won 2 gutty defensive slogs (as I remember them) where the two teams were roughly even in high danger chances at 5v5 (8-8 and 10-11).

In the 1st game (11/2), NYR and CAR each had a PPG and Cuylle scored the only other goal at 5v5. Total SOG were 27-26 CAR. In the 3rd (3/12), Fox scored the only goal of the game at 5v5 and the Rangers were outshot 28-24. So it's not like Igor had to stand on his head and make 45 saves in either game.

The Rangers were 5-2 vs COL, CAR and DAL, three of the top five NHL teams in xGF%. That's roughly the same winning% vs that group as the rest of the league. Their 2 best games for 5v5 xGF% - by a fairly wide margin - were the two they lost, by 6-3 and 6-1 margins.

Go figure.

There is something about what makes the Rangers good at winning hockey games that is not captured by these numbers - whether or not xGF% has correlated to success. We'll see if it plays out differently in the Playoffs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CanesFanRandy said:

So do we think game 1 will likely be Sunday? I’m coming up for game 1 or 2 haven’t decided yet. 

They won't start the next round until all of the first round series are over, and if one of those goes 7, that will be Sunday.  They then take off a few days needlessly, pushing the whole thing further into June.  My guess is that our series will start Tuesday or Wednesday.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Slobberknocker said:

I think we win in six. I think you have to play Rempe even if he is shelved during the third period in tight contests.

They definitely need to tighten up the defense in front of Igor though.

My biggest concern was if they had the postseason leader ship in the locker room. I’m not concerned anymore because I believe Trocheck has assumed that mantle. He is a man on a mission. For as good as Chris and Zibs are I never felt that way about them. Bread man is playing possessed as well

This should be edge of your seat lump in your throat hockey buckle up your chin straps

Tro has become a playoff god. If you were constructing the perfect player for post season, he would be it in my opinion

Edited by Dem
  • Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

4 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

They use to do 1-16 seeding.  I remember back in 81' I believe the Rangers played the Kings in the first round, then the Blues before losing to the Islanders.  It was cool to play different teams.  Regular season seemed to mean a bit more back then, but even just conference seeding 1-8 is better than the current format.

1-8 seeding is so much better.

Not this bracket nonsense trying to force matchups on people and invent rivalries.

• Keeps it 100 2

3 hours ago, CanesFanRandy said:

Also, why were the Canes betting favorites to Win the Cup over Rangers going into playoffs? I didn’t get that. 

It will largely depend not only on leagues scheduling but on venue availability as well. Anyone knows how knicks are doing?