• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Set to Move Arizona Coyotes to Salt Lake City; Announcement Pending

By the way, if Clayton Keller is one of those guys claiming he doesn’t want to play in Salt Lake City, if I’m Drury, I’m calling Arizona the second the season ends and offer Othmann, a D prospect and our 1st this year for Keller at 25% retention ($7.1M AAV to drop to $5.4M AAV). Boom. There’s your 1RW the next 4 seasons (at least) and if memory serves me right, the Rangers absolutely loved him his draft year and tried hard to trade up and draft him. So, worth keeping an eye on. Juuuuuust saying…..

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1

36 teams possibly in the future? Good God, just what the league needs. lol Like someone said, I'd rather they relocate franchises, but other than the Coyotes, who could they realistically move? I think a team in Salt Lake and eventually Houston could work, though. It also sounds like it's a forgone conclusion that the NHL is returning to Atlanta.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

36 teams possibly in the future? Good God, just what the league needs. lol Like someone said, I'd rather they relocate franchises, but other than the Coyotes, who could they realistically move? I think a team in Salt Lake and eventually Houston could work, though. It also sounds like it's a forgone conclusion that the NHL is returning to Atlanta.

Winnipeg is an unsustainable market. Unless that team is lights out, people don't show up. Once they start to show their age, they will be losing (more) money hand over fist. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

$$$$$

Owners want a billion dollars to split up every time a new team comes in

Players want their balance of the escrow paid off so the cap can start going up big time again

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Winnipeg is an unsustainable market. Unless that team is lights out, people don't show up. Once they start to show their age, they will be losing (more) money hand over fist. 

Probably a few years or so away from that happening, but definitely sooner than later. I was kind of surprised they put a team back there even though people were clamoring for more Canadian teams. And by people, I just mean Canadians. lol

Just now, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

$$$$$

Owners want a billion dollars to split up every time a new team comes in

Players want their balance of the escrow paid off so the cap can start going up big time again

Oh, I know it's going to happen. lol

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I know I can't be the only one thinking about how hilarious it's going to be to see the Jets leave Winnipeg for Arizona again.

• LMFAO 5

On 4/10/2024 at 2:13 PM, RichieNextel305 said:

I don’t know why we’re treating this area like it’s been some type of hockey hot bed. So the Coyotes relocate and then a new team goes there as expansion? It has never worked there. Since Day 1. It’s a shame. But it just hasn’t worked. Why are we pushing this?

Not so.  Attendance was good for long time after they moved there and did not fall off until the team was bad for an extended period.  There are enough Minnesota transplants in AZ to support a hockey team by themselves!

I'm listening to 32 thoughts and it's just wild that internally there was a whole propaganda campaign around the auction but now it's starting to come to light that Murelo only had the intention to sell the team. Like he literally lied to everybody because he didn't want to deal with the backlash. 

And now the NHL is going to give this guy another team? Elliot thinks nobody would want to play for an owner like that. They're going to have a real hard time attracting talent. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, siddious said:

I’m assuming this is so that if Arizona ever gets a team again they can retain the coyotes Identity. 

It's also so the other Owners get a nice little cut from the money. Earlier reports said that current Ownership would get 1 Billion and the NHL then sells it for 1.2 or 1.3

13 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

If true this is bush league stuff.  Again, if true the current owner should be banned from further NHL ownership after the sale goes through.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

If true this is bush league stuff.  Again, if true the current owner should be banned from further NHL ownership after the sale goes through.

I will say in defense of them that a lot of rumors about them end up being false. 

Not paying rent at gila was apparently fabricated. They didn’t want to sign a 12 year lease which is apparently why negotiations fell apart there. 

• Phil changed the title to NHL Set to Move Arizona Coyotes to Salt Lake City; Announcement Pending
On 4/13/2024 at 10:03 AM, Pete said:

I'm listening to 32 thoughts and it's just wild that internally there was a whole propaganda campaign around the auction but now it's starting to come to light that Murelo only had the intention to sell the team. Like he literally lied to everybody because he didn't want to deal with the backlash. 

And now the NHL is going to give this guy another team? Elliot thinks nobody would want to play for an owner like that. They're going to have a real hard time attracting talent. 

I think it's a calculated gamble, tbh. It's just the optics they need to grease his palm. 

From the fan perspective and the player perspective, I can't possibly agree with you more. This guy is a scumbag through and through. From the NHL perspective? By this time on Friday, the NHL will have gotten rid of their worst owner. They will have acquired and re-sold the worst performing, least valuable franchise and moved it to a new market for $200M in the owner's pockets. And, everyone in that room is far more than the 7M a head or whatever richer, because if the Coyotes were worth $500m, that was a miracle. They're going to sell for more than double their actual value to the NHL, and then 20% on top to transfer to Smith. That's the value. Every single owner can now point to the Coyotes sale and say "if they got 1.2B, I can claim it's worth more than that".

The gamble is simple: Meruelo has five years to buy land, build a new arena, pay the owners back the gap in valuation, and then exercise the clause to reactivate the franchise. It's a big, big ask, and while some folks may be skeptical, I'll point to all the evidence between 1996 and 2024 to suggest it won't be a real thing.

The NHL absolutely will return to Arizona. It may even return to Arizona before the 2030s start. But it won't be because of the Scottsdale arena proposal and it won't be with Meruelo as an owner. It'll be with Mat Ishiba, when the Footprint Center starts to age out (I know they just did renovations) and the Suns start to push for a new arena toward the end of the decade.