• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Set to Move Arizona Coyotes to Salt Lake City; Announcement Pending

While I fully agree the move is necessary I just really feel gutted for the yotes fans who were passionate about their team. The terrible ownership made it impossible. The NHL made their bed with a guy who was blackballed by the NBA because they realized this guy would be a nightmare of an owner, but the NHL let him in and paid the price for it.

this asshole manages to fail upwards and make bank while the fans have to suffer. I just cant imagine what its like for yotes fans right now. this has loomed over them for years and its finally happening.

• TroCheckmark 1

1 hour ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

While I fully agree the move is necessary I just really feel gutted for the yotes fans who were passionate about their team. The terrible ownership made it impossible. The NHL made their bed with a guy who was blackballed by the NBA because they realized this guy would be a nightmare of an owner, but the NHL let him in and paid the price for it.

this asshole manages to fail upwards and make bank while the fans have to suffer. I just cant imagine what its like for yotes fans right now. this has loomed over them for years and its finally happening.

This is rough. The Desert Dogs are dead. Like you said, it's a shame, a real shame. Gotta hope they can find footing in Utah for the players at least.

2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

They should undo the original move and send the Yotes back to Winnipeg and move the "Jets" to SLC lol

Was joking in a group chat that Yotes will go to SLC and in 5 years when Winnipeg stinks and people stop going, they'll move that team to Phoenix. 🤣 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Was joking in a group chat that Yotes will go to SLC and in 5 years when Winnipeg stinks and people stop going, they'll move that team to Phoenix. 🤣 

Let's go another step.  Move the yotes back to WPG, Move WPG to SLC, and when ATL is ready move them back to ATL and let SLC have a new expansion team instead.
Always Sunny Reaction GIF

• Bullseye 1

3 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

damn, as someone who had to go through something similar, that Teppo Numminen line was a bit of a tear jerker  

Rocked my Kachina last night and watched (and cashed Yotes ML lol). Just a tough thing to watch happen.

I hope the NHL figures out a way to make it work there again. 

Can't be with the same owner.  

• Like 1

it sucks that he still owns the trademark and everything. Id love to see a return of the Kachina jerseys. Unforutately we'll never see that again

I did read somewhere that he still owns the Tuscon AHL affiliate (not sure if they will continue to exist?) so hopefully he's just inept and not a total asshole who is hellbent on destroying hockey in the desert.

several NHLers have broken in from the state, I hope youth hockey can make it work there

11 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

damn, as someone who had to go through something similar, that Teppo Numminen line was a bit of a tear jerker  

Rocked my Kachina last night and watched (and cashed Yotes ML lol). Just a tough thing to watch happen.

I hope the NHL figures out a way to make it work there again. 

I love those jerseys and the whole logo and everything. It sucks that they finally started using them again last year and now they're moving. lol

1 hour ago, Blue Heaven said:

Can't be with the same owner.  

Agreed. I think the hope here is they get through this technical forced sale and Alex Meruelo fails to hit whatever checkpoints he needs to over the next five years to re-activate the franchise. Then, the league can look to other owners in the Phoenix area (Mat Ishbia) and the team can come back with a better owner.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I've never been to Utah, but there are most likely Coyotes there. Just keep that in the meantime.

They name Coyotes needs to remain inactive. That IP is still held in a type of escrow, pending Muerello hitting his milestones over the next 5 years. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

They name Coyotes needs to remain inactive. That IP is still held in a type of escrow, pending Muerello hitting his milestones over the next 5 years. 

Actually, I found that out later after posting that. lol I didn't know, so that was interesting. So, maybe if/when Phoenix gets an arena deal a few years now, they could bring the Coyotes back as a 'new' expansion team and the Utah team would then have its own history. Kind of like the NFL when the Cleveland Browns were brought back several years after they moved and became the Ravens.

16 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Actually, I found that out later after posting that. lol I didn't know, so that was interesting. So, maybe if/when Phoenix gets an arena deal a few years now, they could bring the Coyotes back as a 'new' expansion team and the Utah team would then have its own history. Kind of like the NFL when the Cleveland Browns were brought back several years after they moved and became the Ravens.

Yeah that's the plan. NHL is definitely going back to Arizona, but it needs to be with a new owner. That guy's a massive piece of shit.