• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Set to Move Arizona Coyotes to Salt Lake City; Announcement Pending

One of the weaker markets in the NHL should try the Green Bay formula.  Have the fans crowd-source a buyout and anchor the team there while a merit-based management team figures out how to put it all together.

8 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Jesus Christ 

That’s a rough watch. I really do feel

horrible For their fans. I sincerely hope

they get a new team sooner rather than later and with the proper ownership.

It's probably going to be at least five years or so before they get a new team. I'm glad they'll get one eventually, but I'd still be really pissed off. The Coyotes were finally starting to show some life with some good young players. They are an up and coming team, and they basically leave the city in the 11th hour. It'll be great for them to have a brand new facility in Phoenix, but then they basically have to start all over again as a franchise.

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Phil said:

CROSSED OUT THE TOTAL AND PAID A DIFFERENT AMOUNT! LMFAO

I told you guys this. This guy's an extortionist. He extorted the entire NHL. To think that what went down wasn't his plan all along would be crazy. I don't think he knew how much money he would make, but he knew he was going to be able to sell the team for more than what he bought it for, which was his plan all along. To never invest anything in the team, it was a total cash grab. 

• Keeps it 100 1

The team's creative accounting was a constant source of concern around the league. There were incidents over the years of the Coyotes skimping on money. The Coyotes would try to stay at lesser hotels than the collective bargaining agreement stipulates. Ownership tried cutting corners when they could, like removing the printer and copying machine from the coaches' room.

Other sources indicated local businesses would come to the team seeking payments, would be offered a fraction of what was owed and then would be negotiated down to take less than what was actually owed.

Doan worked for the Coyotes after his retirement as chief hockey development officer but had higher aspirations, eventually seeking to become their president of hockey operations in 2023. According to a source, he was told he "wasn't ready" for the position, a verdict handed down by the owner's son Alex Meruelo Jr., the team's chief brand officer who had taken a more active interest in the hockey operations department.

Doan, the franchise's most iconic player, left to join the Toronto Maple Leafs' front office.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/40024660/inside-coyotes-stunning-move-arizona-utah