• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Does Panarin Hit 50?

8 hours ago, Sod16 said:

I'd like to see a stat on the number of empty net goals over the years.  There are so many now that it is actually distorting statistics.  They've had Panara out there every time there is an empty net.

I'm sure it evens out because of all the times he passes up shots to feed others.  Thankfully he's shot more this year and even many nights looking to shot first which has made a world of difference in his game imo.  

I think he'll come up 2-3 short, I'll go with 48 but still just an outstanding job this season. I different player so far, keep it up!! Just a special player we're lucky to have. Hoping to bring the shaved head back for the playoffs to reignite the fire as he did at the beginning of the season.

Edited by Scott

43 goals through 71. Pace is for 50 right now. But he’s on a rampage at the moment. No disrespect to guys like Gaborik and Nash, who both had great offensive seasons here during their Rangers tenure on teams a lot less talented than this one. But hands down, this is the best season I’ve seen from a Ranger since that memorable Jagr season out of the lockout. Where those guys slowed down for reasons at points throughout the year, Panarin has literally not taken his foot off the gas since the first game of the year. Just an unbelievable season. And to echo what people like Mollie Walker have said, he definitely deserves MVP consideration. 

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

10 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

43 goals through 71. Pace is for 50 right now. But he’s on a rampage at the moment. No disrespect to guys like Gaborik and Nash, who both had great offensive seasons here during their Rangers tenure on teams a lot less talented than this one. But hands down, this is the best season I’ve seen from a Ranger since that memorable Jagr season out of the lockout. Where those guys slowed down for reasons at points throughout the year, Panarin has literally not taken his foot off the gas since the first game of the year. Just an unbelievable season. And to echo what people like Mollie Walker have said, he definitely deserves MVP consideration. 

The biggest difference for me is the hunger and engagement. We've all seen in past seasons how he's been guilty of becoming a perimeter player for large stretches. But the pure hunger to shoot and get into the tough areas to make a play has been a remarkable change in Panarin this season. 

Edited by Karan
  • Keeps it 100 1

Panarin has been moving quickly into the no-go zones in the slot and just outside it and generating shots from those areas.

He's not a net front guy and never will be but he's using his quickness to generate in those areas.

Interestingly, this is also something Adam Fox has been doing recently, moving quickly into position and taking the shot instead of looking to exploit the goalie's movement with a pass-too-many.

• Keeps it 100 1

10 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

He definitely deserves to be in the conversation, but MVP is MacKinnon to lose.

Put it this way, Panarin has as many points as Raantanen, who's the 2nd leading scorer in the Abs... About 30 points behind MacKinnon.... And they just got a 2nd line center at the deadline, so Mac really has been a force. 

37 minutes ago, Pete said:

He definitely deserves to be in the conversation, but MVP is MacKinnon to lose.

Put it this way, Panarin has as many points as Raantanen, who's the 2nd leading scorer in the Abs... About 30 points behind MacKinnon.... And they just got a 2nd line center at the deadline, so Mac really has been a force. 

Where would the Rangers be right now if Panarin was having his usual year with 28 goals and 60 assists right now?

I think Panarin *is* the MVP this season because he's added a quality, premiere 5v5 goal scorer, that every real contender needs and that the Rangers have been lacking the last few years.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Where would the Rangers be right now if Panarin was having his usual year with 28 goals and 60 assists right now?

I think Panarin *is* the MVP this season because he's added a quality, premiere 5v5 goal scorer, that every real contender needs and that the Rangers have been lacking the last few years.

Where would the Avs be without MacKinnon producing what Zib and Tro have produced together?

Tampa wouldn't even be a bubble team without Kuch.

Panarin is on a tear, but there are other players who are slightly above him.

If only Lafreniere converted, Panarin might have 115pts by now.

Edited by Pete

On 3/24/2024 at 1:26 PM, Pete said:

Where would the Avs be without MacKinnon producing what Zib and Tro have produced together?

Tampa wouldn't even be a bubble team without Kuch.

Panarin is on a tear, but there are other players who are slightly above him.

If only Lafreniere converted, Panarin might have 115pts by now.

Missed opportunity. “If only lafreniere converted panarin might have 100pts by now”

If he had someone that converted a bit more, he might have challenged Jagr's team points record, who knows. Whether he gets to 50 or not, this is one of those special offensive seasons you hardly ever see a Rangers player have. It's been 18 years since the last one.

58 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

If he had someone that converted a bit more, he might have challenged Jagr's team points record, who knows. Whether he gets to 50 or not, this is one of those special offensive seasons you hardly ever see a Rangers player have. It's been 18 years since the last one.

Well, he's had linemates who have created more goal scoring opportunities for him in exchange. Converting everything Panarin would be awesome, but that's akin to saying if he were playing with other 80-90 point players he'd have more points. OK, of course he would, and if Laf were playing with McDavid instead of Panarin he'd have 50 goals ala Zach Hyman. This POV runs both directions. I still think Tro and Laf deserve some credit for generating offense too. Countless times they have forced turnovers by getting in on the forecheck, and then they have the talent to hang enough with Panarin. I don't understand why we have to focus on the "faults" of the non-Panarin players on the line, instead of just recognizing and enjoying that the line is just pretty awesome.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Panarin has been on similar paces twice before for the Rangers. He just didn't play the full season, therefore he never scored 100 points. 

The only thing that's unprecedented for him is the goal scoring, which we all know is because he's shooting more, which doesn't have much to do with his line mates. That's a personal choice, and we know that because we've seen him make the opposite choice a couple of times lately and pass when he should have shot. 

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Panarin has been on similar paces twice before for the Rangers. He just didn't play the full season, therefore he never scored 100 points. 

The only thing that's unprecedented for him is the goal scoring, which we all know is because he's shooting more, which doesn't have much to do with his line mates. That's a personal choice, and we know that because we've seen him make the opposite choice a couple of times lately and pass when he should have shot. 

He was awesome during the COVID and then the shutdown happened. I think he had 96 points in 69 games or something crazy like that. I really hope this isn't a one-time thing with him and he just keeps shooting from here on out, and just stays focused.

10 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Well, he's had linemates who have created more goal scoring opportunities for him in exchange. Converting everything Panarin would be awesome, but that's akin to saying if he were playing with other 80-90 point players he'd have more points. OK, of course he would, and if Laf were playing with McDavid instead of Panarin he'd have 50 goals ala Zach Hyman. This POV runs both directions. I still think Tro and Laf deserve some credit for generating offense too. Countless times they have forced turnovers by getting in on the forecheck, and then they have the talent to hang enough with Panarin. I don't understand why we have to focus on the "faults" of the non-Panarin players on the line, instead of just recognizing and enjoying that the line is just pretty awesome.

Yeah, I know, I was just saying as a hypothetical. Both Tro and Laf have been excellent basically all year. Lafreniere had been snake-bit for awhile there, just not finishing when Panarin was setting him up. Both of them could easily have 20 or so more points.

Did Panarin get credited an assist somewhere between Saturday night and today??  He's listed now at 99 points, and I couldda swore he was at 98 after the game on Saturday night.

The clowns on TNT had Panarin listed in 2nd tier of MVP with Bennett and Hyman. First tier was McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews and Pastranak.

What in the world has Pasternak done to be in that conversation that Panarin hasn’t done? My guess is recency bias since Boston was on TNT. But sheesh.

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The clowns on TNT had Panarin listed in 2nd tier of MVP with Bennett and Hyman. First tier was McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews and Pastranak.

What in the world has Pasternak done to be in that conversation that Panarin hasn’t done? My guess is recency bias since Boston was on TNT. But sheesh.

Bennet? Sam Bennet? He of the 34 points?

Mean Reinhart?

• LMFAO 1