• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Does Panarin Hit 50?

9 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The clowns on TNT had Panarin listed in 2nd tier of MVP with Bennett and Hyman. First tier was McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews and Pastranak.

What in the world has Pasternak done to be in that conversation that Panarin hasn’t done? My guess is recency bias since Boston was on TNT. But sheesh.

Agree about Pasta, but MacKinnon and Matthews are definitely ahead of Panarin in the MVP race, especially Nate, so it's not really a bad take. I think it's basically MacKinnon's to lose at this point.

• Keeps it 100 1

50 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Agree about Pasta, but MacKinnon and Matthews are definitely ahead of Panarin in the MVP race, especially Nate, so it's not really a bad take. I think it's basically MacKinnon's to lose at this point.

I agree. I’m not disputing that. MacKinnon is going to win. McDavid will be right there. And with the way Tampa is surging, I would have to imagine Kucherov likely will be selection 3. Matthews, too, deserves to be up there with the historic pace he is on.

But if we’re gonna lump players, the way they were last night, and you’re going to throw Pasta into Tier 1, then Panarin needs to be there with them. Their stats are just about identical. You can’t have him there, and then lump Panarin in with Reinhart and Hyman. To me, that’s just anti-NYR bias. And that’s an agenda I hate pushing. But last night, it just seemed to be so much of that.

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I agree. I’m not disputing that. MacKinnon is going to win. McDavid will be right there. And with the way Tampa is surging, I would have to imagine Kucherov likely will be selection 3. Matthews, too, deserves to be up there with the historic pace he is on.

But if we’re gonna lump players, the way they were last night, and you’re going to throw Pasta into Tier 1, then Panarin needs to be there with them. Their stats are just about identical. You can’t have him there, and then lump Panarin in with Reinhart and Hyman. To me, that’s just anti-NYR bias. And that’s an agenda I hate pushing. But last night, it just seemed to be so much of that.

Definitely ant-Rangers bias in that regard. I can agree on that. But again, their opinions really don't matter if you're even remotely paying attention, which most people are.

17 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Definitely ant-Rangers bias in that regard. I can agree on that. But again, their opinions really don't matter if you're even remotely paying attention, which most people are.

I don't think it's anti Rangers at all. These people are paying attention to the entire league, they're not hyper focused on one team the way we are. 

Like I said in the other thread, you can disagree with the case they're making, but the case they're making is definitely there. They aren't making the stuff up. They're not out here saying Barzal should be MVP. 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't think it's anti Rangers at all. These people are paying attention to the entire league, they're not hyper focused on one team the way we are. 

Like I said in the other thread, you can disagree with the case they're making, but the case they're making is definitely there. They aren't making the stuff up. They're not out here saying Barzal should be MVP. 

That is true. I think a lot of times Rangers fans kind of live in this bubble where any possible slander, justified or not, is taken a bit too far. Like, even if Ray Ferraro is critical of the Rangers, he's usually not wrong. It's possible he doesn't like them personally, but I can't say I've really disagreed with his criticism. It's like the only people that are allowed to criticize them is us. lol

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

That is true. I think a lot of times Rangers fans kind of live in this bubble where any possible slander, justified or not, is taken a bit too far. Like, even if Ray Ferraro is critical of the Rangers, he's usually not wrong. It's possible he doesn't like them personally, but I can't say I've really disagreed with his criticism. It's like the only people that are allowed to criticize them is us. lol

Nah Ferraro is a cunt. He actively chooses to focus on what he perceives as missed penalties against the Rangers, and sweeping shitty calls against them under the rug like they didn't happen. All of the time. Every game. You can also tell by his tone of voice. He's a hater for sure, and Keith Jones is/was the same way.

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

Nah Ferraro is a cunt. He actively chooses to focus on what he perceives as missed penalties against the Rangers, and sweeping shitty calls against them under the rug like they didn't happen. All of the time. Every game. You can also tell by his tone of voice. He's a hater for sure, and Keith Jones is/was the same way.

Agreed there, just saying when he has criticized the Rangers, he's not always wrong. lol He and McDonagh together on games is absolutely awful.

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yea. Ferraro says a lot of good things, too. He got dragged for his podcast comments (which were nowhere near as bad as made out to be), but he also praised Rempe game.

I don't think saying Panarin is a "tier 2 MVP" is an insult. They're calling him MVP caliber in a season where two or three other players are just doing better. 

Carolina deserves praise, They have lit it up since trade deadline. Saying that another team is good is not the same thing as saying the Rangers are bad.

Ultimately, there are so many good teams at the top of the standings, they have to talk about something.

23 hours ago, Pete said:

Yea. Ferraro says a lot of good things, too. He got dragged for his podcast comments (which were nowhere near as bad as made out to be), but he also praised Rempe game.

I don't think saying Panarin is a "tier 2 MVP" is an insult. They're calling him MVP caliber in a season where two or three other players are just doing better. 

Carolina deserves praise, They have lit it up since trade deadline. Saying that another team is good is not the same thing as saying the Rangers are bad.

Ultimately, there are so many good teams at the top of the standings, they have to talk about something.

Panarin's unfortunate that the guys with him in the conversation for MVP are having equally - if not more - amazing seasons.

You got McDavid punching up to 100 assists, which probably hasn't been done since Lemieux or Gretzky.

You have Kucherov almost singlehandedly (no disrespect to Brayden Point here) keeping the Lightning relevant.

We just saw Mackinnon last night - he's been incredible and has basically the same boxcars as Kucherov.

You have Matthews pushing for the post-lockout single-season goals mark. Hell, he could go off and get 70-  he's got 10 games to get 11 goals to do it.

You have Pastrnak right there with Panarin on a Bruins team that...frankly, isn't as good as its record.

I get the tier 2 talk. It just sucks because he really does deserve true consideration.

If any of these guys were missing for any period of time it would be hard for their team to win.

That said, I think probably McDavid is the best candidate this year.  Oilers looked terrible without him and then like world beaters as soon as he got back.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Well I feel silly but both 50 and jagr’s record are within reach still. It’s either the best or second best all time season for a ranger. 

Adam graves would like a word 

15 minutes ago, siddious said:

Adam graves would like a word 

Meh. Panarins overall output offensively has been so much more impressive. Graves had the 52 goals, only 6 more than Panarin at the moment. But he obviously wasn’t the line driver Bread is. He had 27 assists, Panarin has 69. The only comparable season to this right now is what Jagr did way back in 2006. It’s just dominating night in and night out. No disrespect to guys like Kreider and Graves who have had their 50+ goal years but I think this is way more impressive, and that’s even if he doesn’t reach the 50-goal club like them.

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1