• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dolan Doesn't Want Rangers Trading 2024 1st Round Pick Because Draft Will Be at Sphere in Vegas; Brooks Claims Rumor Is False

This is absolutely wild. According to Dreger, Dolan does not want Drury trading our 1st Rounder this year because the draft is at the Sphere (which MSG owns) and he wants the Rangers to be a part of the “spectacle” that the draft there will be.

That is absolutely the most ludicrous thing I have ever in my life read. If there is no deal worthy of a 1st, I’m all about protecting assets if you don’t need to trade them. And a 1st is a valuable asset. I think we all know that.

But to take a specific one off the table because a draft is being held at a specific location? That is one of the most selfish, stupid and egotistical things I have ever fucking read. A draft asset can’t be used because you want to glorify yourself at a draft? 

Good grief, Dolan.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1

I mean, this happens all the time. The Habs held theirs when they hosted the Draft, too, and it was rumored that the reason was because they wanted to make a selection in front of the home town crowd. In a way, this isn't all that different.

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

To NYR: Adam Henrique

To Anaheim: conditional 2024 1st*

* if Rangers do not acquire another 2024 1st before the draft at the Sphere, it becomes the 2025 1st round pick

Fuck Adam Henrique Forever.

• Like 2
  • The Chyt! 1
  • Cheers 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

7 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

He’s probably seen their 5v5 stats and said nah fam, not worth losing a 1st round pick in the Sphere

If that were the case and it was based off actually watching this team, fine.

But to butt in and say to Drury, “nah bro, you can’t trade that asset that you can use to improve the club down the stretch because I want to stand on stage in Vegas” is categorized as egotistical, stupid and fucking selfish.

Want to know what else would be cool at the Sphere? If every team, as custom, went up and congratulated your team for winning the Cup. I wish he had *that* outlook instead of this one. And again, I’m not advocating we’re a trade away, or that we should be stupid with the way we handle this pick and just hand it off for a fucking stick figure. But if the opportunity ever did arise to make a deal that could help us down the line this year, the fact we can’t because Dolan is being an egomaniac is absolutely ridiculous. And fucking selfish.

Edited by RichieNextel305

The Rangers have traded 1sts two years running now.  I don't see a problem with sitting out the futures market this year.  You can't keep saying "this is the year!" and then failing.

If the Rangers play poorly in the playoffs this season it will be time to blow up this core and you don't want to have given up your 1st next season or the year after if that's one of the real possibilities.  We're already short 2nd and 3rd round picks.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The Rangers have traded 1sts two years running now.  I don't see a problem with sitting out the futures market this year.  You can't keep saying "this is the year!" and then failing.

If the Rangers play poorly in the playoffs this season it will be time to blow up this core and you don't want to have given up your 1st next season or the year after if that's one of the real possibilities.  We're already short 2nd and 3rd round picks.

If they flunk out quick in the playoffs, I think there’s a good chance they’ll get more picks to make at the Sphere.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I read about this earlier today.  Don’t see how they are going to upgrade the 3C position enough without trading their #1 pick.  

They could give it to goodrow maybe he’d be better as a result 

13 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

To NYR: Adam Henrique

To Anaheim: conditional 2024 1st*

* if Rangers do not acquire another 2024 1st before the draft at the Sphere, it becomes the 2025 1st round pick

Yuck. lol I know you're joking (I think), but I'd rather give a first to get Vatrano back. I would be cool with acquiring both players, though.

56 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I agree completely with Dolan, but just not for that reason. lol

That’s my point.

Want to hold on to the pick because no deal comes about where you feel it needs to be relinquished or because you don’t see the need for a push this season? Ok. Fine. That’s a hockey decision. That’s what this should be about, should it not?

It shouldn’t be about Dolan wanting to stand center stage inside the Sphere in June to give himself a hard-on.

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

That’s my point.

Want to hold on to the pick because no deal comes about where you feel it needs to be relinquished or because you don’t see the need for a push this season? Ok. Fine. That’s a hockey decision. That’s what this should be about, should it not?

It shouldn’t be about Dolan wanting to stand center stage inside the Sphere in June to give himself a hard-on.

I know. What an ego. I mean, if the Rangers can get one, if not two really good assets that can be hear long term, I would do it. Imagine if they are able to, and Drury has a great deal in place, but Dolan squashes it because he wants to stroke himself at the Sphere? lol Brutal. It's easy to see why the league can't stand this guy.

8 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

That’s my point.

Especially because by pick 22, nobody's watching. 

I don think it's about people watching on TV. He probably wants to go on stage, bring all his kids, illegitimate or otherwise, and have a fuckin' party in his gaudy monstrosity. 

I will say, I'm fine with them keeping their 1st rounder off limits. None of the names available even remotely pique my interest - other than maybe Vatrano. If a guy like Jenner or Zegras were to shake loose, I'd be more interested in floating the 1st rounder. 

• TroCheckmark 1

1 minute ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I don think it's about people watching on TV. He probably wants to go on stage, bring all his kids, illegitimate or otherwise, and have a fuckin' party in his gaudy monstrosity. 

I will say, I'm fine with them keeping their 1st rounder off limits. None of the names available even remotely pique my interest - other than maybe Vatrano. If a guy like Jenner or Zegras were to shake loose, I'd be more interested in floating the 1st rounder. 

I think we're all fine with keeping the first rounder given what we're seeing going down, I'm not fine with the reason they're keeping the first rounder.

There's nothing worse than a meddling owner. 

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think we're all fine with keeping the first rounder given what we're seeing going down, I'm not fine with the reason they're keeping the first rounder.

There's nothing worse than a meddling owner. 

Definitely. We always knew Dolan was a meddler, but I think we hoped he was more into the Knicks lately. 

• Keeps it 100 1