• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Cal Foote, and Dillon Dube, Alex Forementon Granted Indefinite Leaves of Absence

• Phil changed the title to Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Cal Foote, and Dillon Dube, Alex Forementon Granted Indefinite Leaves of Absence
Just now, Pete said:

I mean the incident was about 5 years ago. What's "long gone"?

What's that got to do with this? We supposed to ignore gang rape because "other sports do worse shit"? Holy whataboutism. Jesus.

That culture, which 100% existed, if not exactly how some describe it, is gone. Hazing doesn't happen. Rookie parties (which was a big time risqué activity) don't happen. 

Junior players have their supervision cranked up 11. They are more interested in nutrition, education, and video games than ever before. Nobody cares if there's a minority on the team, anymore. Half the kids are minorities. Attitudes have changed. I live it everyday, at the rink. 

The pointed education they get around these events is a big deal. 

5 years ago doesn't seem too long ago, but these kids wouldn't be too far removed from the previous culture.

I don't know the facts, none of us do, but I've seen enough of cases like this to remain suspicious. Cases like Mailloux and Virtanen (and Trevor Bauer) were ultimately pretty frivolous.

12 minutes ago, Dunny said:

That culture, which 100% existed, if not exactly how some describe it, is gone. Hazing doesn't happen. Rookie parties (which was a big time risqué activity) don't happen. 

Junior players have their supervision cranked up 11. They are more interested in nutrition, education, and video games than ever before. Nobody cares if there's a minority on the team, anymore. Half the kids are minorities. Attitudes have changed. I live it everyday, at the rink. 

The pointed education they get around these events is a big deal. 

5 years ago doesn't seem too long ago, but these kids wouldn't be too far removed from the previous culture.

That's fair, but it doesn't mean that there shouldn't be consequences.

I don't know the facts, none of us do, but I've seen enough of cases like this to remain suspicious. Cases like Mailloux and Virtanen (and Trevor Bauer) were ultimately pretty frivolous.

I wonder what you'd consider frivolous if it happened to your daughter.

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

This is going to cause such a pearl clutching fiasco in this country. It'll be nothing but "toxic hockey culture" for months. 

I'll probably have 5 new mandatory courses to complete to match all the "touching little boys penises is bad" mandatory training from the Grahaeme James Era.

If they truly truly did something egregious then I hope they swing from a tree, if only for the fact I'll have to listen to talking heads tell me why hockey is evil for the next 12 months. I guess we'll have have to wait for it to play out.

It's hard for me to fathom how much more sanitized the game can get at the grassroots level, if there was a problem at one time, it's long gone. Long long gone, but nobody will care. They'll latch on to this like nothing ever seen before.

Anyways, at least the NFL still gets a free pass. 

It's unfair to blame hockey for bad behavior. This sadly is a human thing. These guys happened to be hockey players. Could have been a rock band, a fire company, college professors. If they're bad guys and it's proven they did this,  that's on them.

Western cultural elites think they're gonna solve every problem with a new program or law rather than simply punishing bad behavior as warning enough. The legalistic bubble wrap afterward is pointless if you don't instill right and wrong in children.

31 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's fair, but it doesn't mean that there shouldn't be consequences.

I wonder what you'd consider frivolous if it happened to your daughter.

I 100% understand my daughter is a female, and I understand they can have motives, as well, yes.

I played junior. There's a type here that wants hockey player dick, and nothing but. It cuts both ways.

Now, if they drugged her, and raped her, whatever, sure, like I said, they should swing from a tree, but we don't know. 

6 minutes ago, Bugg said:

It's unfair to blame hockey for bad behavior. This sadly is a human thing. These guys happened to be hockey players. Could have been a rock band, a fire company, college professors. If they're bad guys and it's proven they did this,  that's on them.

Western cultural elites think they're gonna solve every problem with a new program or law rather than simply punishing bad behavior as warning enough. The legalistic bubble wrap afterward is pointless if you don't instill right and wrong in children.

100%. There will  undoubtedly, be bad humans in hockey until hockey ceases to exist.

For me, I have a 2016 who is already getting invites to play all over Ontario. This will be an absolutely invaluable lesson for him in decision making. Women and booze are the worst enemy of a teenager with aspirations. This is the basic truth of every adolescent athlete. Both should be avoided.

That's no fault of women, it's mostly the fault of mixing male teenage hormones with alcohol. Almost nothing positive can happen.

14 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I 100% understand my daughter is a female, and I understand they can have motives, as well, yes.

I played junior. There's a type here that wants hockey player dick, and nothing but. It cuts both ways.

Now, if they drugged her, and raped her, whatever, sure, like I said, they should swing from a tree, but we don't know. 

But one of the incidents you're discussing involves a photo that was meant for one person and was shared with many.

If that happened to your daughter, and your response was "well you shouldn't have sent the picture... "

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

Just now, Pete said:

But one of the incidents you're discussing involves a photo that was meant for one person and was shared with many.

If that happened to your daughter, and your response was "well you shouldn't have sent the picture... "

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

Jay Z. Very fitting 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Doesn't have anything to do with the thread, I guess?

I didn't post it; you did. The culture might tell you otherwise,  but objectively he's a bad guy. What was the point of posting that? I understand you may have thought it was funny, but not finding any humor in it.  

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

I didn't post it; you did. The culture might tell you otherwise,  but objectively he's a bad guy. What was the point of posting that? I understand you may have thought it was funny, but not finding any humor in it.  

It's what came up when I searched for "eek" face. It's not that deep.

I don't even know why you're reading that much into it. It's a reaction GIF, not a statement on pop culture.

And yea, I'm a fan of Jay Z's music. There are many other artists who have done much, much worse. Even white ones!

Edited by Pete
  • LOL 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I don't even know why you're reading that much into it. It's a reaction GIF, not a statement on pop culture.

And yea, I'm a Jay Z fan. Deal with it.

Would you let your daughter listen to his degenerate, criminal, misogynistic "art"?

colin firth tea GIF

5 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Would you let your daughter listen to his degenerate, criminal, misogynistic "art"?

colin firth tea GIF

Why are you conflating the issue?

I don't endorse the lifestyle. Just the beats.

Edited by Pete
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

And yea, I'm a fan of Jay Z's music. There are many other artists who have done much, much worse. Even white ones!

Fair enough. 

Puck bunnies are prolifigate, especially small town girls looking for a ticket out of Palookaville, where a junior team plays.  Junior players can be young, impulsive and not well enough supervised.  Bad combination.

On 1/24/2024 at 2:19 PM, Pete said:

Confused High Quality GIF

I mean you got bent on a perceived "what aboutism" then drop this one. 

Whatchu mean WHITE people ?  Mmmm hmmm. Oh no you ditint.

sassy one direction GIF

On 1/24/2024 at 1:40 PM, Dunny said:

This is way too simplistic.  It's easy for a young female to get into a room with several young males and have something go wrong with no way to stop it.

It doesn't have to be drugs that's at the center of the incident.

If what happened was non-consensual then it's rape.  Period.  And this could be true if the first guy was consensual and then everybody else was non-consensual.  The first guy who got consent is just as guilty of the rapes if he was involved in what followed.

• Like 1