• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Adam Fox: Do We Have a Problem?

I’m going to preface this by saying what I say before all of my posts where I flame the guy: I appreciate and understand the fact that he is a star player in this league. I’m not naive. I know what he brings.

That said, there is a problem here. Defensively, he has taken an incredible amount of steps back. He just isn’t as good in his own zone as he was a few years ago. It’s possible he’s not 100% from his injury earlier in the year. But all things being equal, he just isn’t having a great season here.

What he brings to the power play goes without saying. He is a top notch PPQB in this league. His vision, his ability to remain calm under pressure (oh, we will get to this shortly) and his IQ make him brilliant in that situation. At least some of the time. His shot, a real weapon, just isn’t utilized enough, and that’s why teams overplay Mika as much as they do. They know Fox is going to defer there or to Panarin before flinging one on net himself.

My biggest gripe is what comes off as laziness. Now again, let me state that I get that part of what makes him good with his calmness under pressure is his ability to play the same way at all moments of the game. But some situations call for greater urgency. And he just doesn’t do that. I’m sorry, down a goal late, I need you to hustle it up a bit and not act like we have 15 minutes left when we really have 35 seconds left. Even tonight, and I said it in the GDT. We’re down 4-1 on a PP with 1 minute to go. I get it. The game is wrapped up basically. But you see guys like Lafreniere and even Zibanejad skating trying to make things happen. Fox is moving at a snails pace, lollygagging, floating passes. If you don’t want to be out there, stay on the bench. Showing and admitting defeat when you are a member of the leadership core here like that is inexcusable. I expect more from someone like that then to just olay a game no matter the situation.

Im sick of him getting down and out when shit doesn’t break his way or this teams way. He gets down on himself, he floats and he makes mistakes by playing slow and lazy. Add all of that with the fact that his defense isn’t what it once was, and yeah, I think this is a topic that needs to be at least discussed. Again, I like the guy. I acknowledge as I always do that part of what makes him great is also what makes him look bad when things don’t work. But man, his effort level on some nights is really alarming to me. Maybe I’m alone on this, maybe I’m not. But again, I feel it’s at least worthy of a discussion here. Because this was a guy that once had a seat at the table with people like Makar and Hedman. And he just isn’t there right now.

• TroCheckmark 1

Clearly not the player he was in his Norris year.  Back then he had these incredible advanced stats on things like turnovers, completed passes and breakouts.  I'd be curious as to how they compare with this year.

Sorry but I'm just not going to complain about a 30 point in 34 game defenseman on the offensive side of the puck.

A player not doing what fans want him to do or acting the way fans want him to act does not make that player a bad player. As we hear all the time on many hockey podcasts, if players shot every time fans yelled shoot, power plays would be under 10%. 

The biggest problem with his 30 points in 34 games is his even rating. That suggests he hasn't been nearly good enough defensively. 

Edited by Pete
  • Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sorry but I'm just not going to complain about a 30 point in 34 game defenseman on the offensive side of the puck.

A player not doing what fans want him to do or acting the way fans want him to act does not make that player a bad player. As we hear all the time on many hockey podcasts, if players shot every time fans yelled shoot, power plays would be under 10%. 

The biggest problem with his 30 points in 34 games is his even rating. That suggests he hasn't been nearly good enough defensively. 

I get that. I know we’ve had these talks before, me and you. Specifically about this player.

But the way he does act is a bit of a problem, because it’s almost indicative of the teams issues at the moment. Where once something doesn’t go their way, they fold. They were dominating last night, Igor gives up a bad one, suddenly the floor caves in.

Fox has the composure of a surgeon, and again, sometimes it looks genius and sometimes it doesn’t. So it’s a dice roll and I get that. But man, there really is just not another level for him. He’s even keel all the time. The house could be burning or he could be waiting for the mail, regardless, same speed and same pace. I’m just sick of his woe-is-me demeanor anytime it doesn’t shake right for him on the ice. I know we’re fans and we’re not psychiatrists (maybe some are? Lol) but reading his on-ice mannerism makes me concerned as they did last year in the playoffs. Because when things were going good, he looked good. When things got a little iffy, he like many others nose dived. And that demeanor does exist here still in that locker room, and it’s an overall concern. There are players in there that when the going gets tough have a hard time pulling themselves up. And he’s definitely one of them.

Factor in what comes off as almost laziness with his defense, which has honestly plummeted from where it was just 2 years ago, and I don’t know. I’m not one to say “take this away, and this is what he’s got” but if you take away his 3 goals in 2 games at WSH/STL back to back games, both at ES, he has 1 even strength goal in 32 games. Which is alarming when you look back to his last 2 seasons, where has scored 10 goals and 11 goals respectively at ES.

I get it, other issues exist. But Fox has taken a bit of a fall here. And he needs to pick himself up.

The Rangers have an urgency problem that runs up and down the roster at this point.  No idea why but the best bet given 3 different HC's trying to deal with it is that there are one or more problem children in the playground affecting everybody else.

This is something we see on a game-to-game basis but because some of the players are favorites and everybody has a different favorite we don't mention it much.  I'm guessing the Ranger's last 3 coaches have had similar difficulties addressing the problem given the players involved.

34 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I get that. I know we’ve had these talks before, me and you. Specifically about this player.

But the way he does act is a bit of a problem, because it’s almost indicative of the teams issues at the moment. Where once something doesn’t go their way, they fold. They were dominating last night, Igor gives up a bad one, suddenly the floor caves in.

Fox has the composure of a surgeon, and again, sometimes it looks genius and sometimes it doesn’t. So it’s a dice roll and I get that. But man, there really is just not another level for him. He’s even keel all the time. The house could be burning or he could be waiting for the mail, regardless, same speed and same pace. I’m just sick of his woe-is-me demeanor anytime it doesn’t shake right for him on the ice. I know we’re fans and we’re not psychiatrists (maybe some are? Lol) but reading his on-ice mannerism makes me concerned as they did last year in the playoffs. Because when things were going good, he looked good. When things got a little iffy, he like many others nose dived. And that demeanor does exist here still in that locker room, and it’s an overall concern. There are players in there that when the going gets tough have a hard time pulling themselves up. And he’s definitely one of them.

Factor in what comes off as almost laziness with his defense, which has honestly plummeted from where it was just 2 years ago, and I don’t know. I’m not one to say “take this away, and this is what he’s got” but if you take away his 3 goals in 2 games at WSH/STL back to back games, both at ES, he has 1 even strength goal in 32 games. Which is alarming when you look back to his last 2 seasons, where has scored 10 goals and 11 goals respectively at ES.

I get it, other issues exist. But Fox has taken a bit of a fall here. And he needs to pick himself up.

Like many talented players, and like the entire team, they need to shoot more.

Kind of mind-boggling to me that they can't just look across the locker room and see number 10 taking more shots and the difference it's made in his game and following suit. 

I keep saying I think this is where Muse fails. I'm not impressed with the things he was supposed to be responsible for, at all. He was supposed to teach some spatial awareness, situation all awareness, making the most of the room you have, and they just don't do it. 

• Keeps it 100 1

6 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The Rangers have an urgency problem that runs up and down the roster at this point.  No idea why but the best bet given 3 different HC's trying to deal with it is that there are one or more problem children in the playground affecting everybody else.

This is something we see on a game-to-game basis but because some of the players are favorites and everybody has a different favorite we don't mention it much.  I'm guessing the Ranger's last 3 coaches have had similar difficulties addressing the problem given the players involved.

This is pretty much it. It is, and seemingly always has been, a core roster issue. Richie isn't wrong about Fox, but that's just how it is. I also think he can be so good at times it looks like he isn't interested. I'm not going to complain too much about Fox the player, though.

• Keeps it 100 2

He made one play last night in the defensive zone where he head faked a golden knight and skated out of the zone. all the time in the world then passed it into the back of some Rangers skates who was at the blue line semi-all alone. 

I just shook my head and said "I cant believe I thought he was better than Makar at one point"

Hes just not the dynamic guy that came into this league.

WIth that said he is still easily the best defenseman on this team.. i dunno whats up with him but I hope he wakes up sooner rather than later because its becoming concerning.

18 minutes ago, siddious said:

He made one play last night in the defensive zone where he head faked a golden knight and skated out of the zone. all the time in the world then passed it into the back of some Rangers skates who was at the blue line semi-all alone. 

I just shook my head and said "I cant believe I thought he was better than Makar at one point"

Hes just not the dynamic guy that came into this league.

WIth that said he is still easily the best defenseman on this team.. i dunno whats up with him but I hope he wakes up sooner rather than later because its becoming concerning.

I know exactly what play you’re talking about. It was in the 2nd period and on the far side by the benches. It was a sick little juke, and then he does something that makes you go scratching your head so hard that your scalp starts to hurt.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Bullseye 1

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yes, Fox has a problem and it's not him

Screenshot-2024-01-19-at-10-21-36-AM.png

Pretty much what I was saying before. His offense isn't the problem. The questionable defensive play is. And it's mostly in the details, like a couple of games ago where he went for a line change with 17 seconds left in the period and left the next pair hanging out to dry. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Pretty much what I was saying before. His offense isn't the problem. The questionable defensive play is. And it's mostly in the details, like a couple of games ago where he went for a line change with 17 seconds left in the period and left the next pair hanging out to dry. 

They are, collectively, all missing the details of late.

Thats the fix that’s needed.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Yes, he's not perfect. I wasn't trying to insinuate he doesn't make mistakes. I think the mistakes are magnified because he has had to carry the ever loving hell out of Lindgren this year.

I do think there's been more focus on the imperfections since that bad giveaway in G7 last year, which is fine. He can be better, which is amazing because even with these warts/brainfarts/whatever you want to call them, he's a top 5 defenseman in the league who has also shown he can put up in the playoffs. I just think all nitpicking should be done under the context of he's currently trying to fill his own role and half of his partner's role at the same time.

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

Yes, he's not perfect. I wasn't trying to insinuate he doesn't make mistakes. I think the mistakes are magnified because he has had to carry the ever loving hell out of Lindgren this year.

I do think there's been more focus on the imperfections since that bad giveaway in G7 last year, which is fine. He can be better, which is amazing because even with these warts/brainfarts/whatever you want to call them, he's a top 5 defenseman in the league who has also shown he can put up in the playoffs. I just think all nitpicking should be done under the context of he's currently trying to fill his own role and half of his partner's role at the same time.

Im all for shaking up the D pairs. I am actually surprised with how bad the D has been that this hasnt happened yet.

I know this might be a bizarre suggestion but try Fox with Miller. They had that one game where they looked fantastic together. I know Miller is struggling but maybe a bigger role gets him going? 

Trouba-Lindgren or Lindgren-Schneider could a nice shut down pair and Trouba-Gus on the third pair wouldnt be bad either. I feel like you could spread out the ice time a bit better with those pairs as well.

3 minutes ago, siddious said:

Im all for shaking up the D pairs. I am actually surprised with how bad the D has been that this hasnt happened yet.

I know this might be a bizarre suggestion but try Fox with Miller. They had that one game where they looked fantastic together. I know Miller is struggling but maybe a bigger role gets him going? 

Trouba-Lindgren or Lindgren-Schneider could a nice shut down pair and Trouba-Gus on the third pair wouldnt be bad either. I feel like you could spread out the ice time a bit better with those pairs as well.

I'd be fine with all of that. It just has to be a different look than what we know isn't working. Lindgren has hit a wall and is punching above his weight. He's always been a bottom 4 guy in terms of skill set, and that's where he should be now. He's run his course as Fox's partner. The Miller/Trouba pairing looks horrendous. If we're being honest it always has, and there's been a lot of debate and finger pointing about who is dragging that pairing down. I don't care who's at fault, it's time for Lavi to see it doesn't work. More than half a season to evaluate the D pairs is long enough.

• Keeps it 100 1

He definitely has problems. He can neither skate, or shoot and he's 175 pounds.

Who cares? He's the poster child for deception, and his brain is a Pentium 166 w/ MMX while everyone else is still running a 486.

Deception is the newest shiny thing and he is the best at it.

After every bad loss we can pinpoint the guy who’s made a bad play here and there. But in reality it is always on aggregated team defence, being it a goalie, a d-man of forward who fucked it up at some point of the game. Let’s look at the first goal vegas scored. Marchensau(sp?) casually walks thru 2 rangers players, passes the puck, continues to go to the net, gets the puck back with laf behind his back doing nothing but looking at the girls on stands. Boom, next thing u know puck goes by Shesterkin into the net. All 4 rangers involved into this are responsible. Could Igor have made a save? Yes he could’ve. . Could laf have been more aggressive, yes he could’ve. Could those first two have tried to stop march from waltzing into the zone? Yes they could’ve. But none of that happened. Hence the goal. And that’s how it went. Almost on all goals. Bad team defence. Every game they lost lately, it’s all the same. 

Edited by Art20c
  • Keeps it 100 1

49 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

P.S. - If I'm Lavi, none of the defensive pairs look the same for the next game.

Fox-Gustafsson

Trouba-Lindgren

Schneider-Miller

Gustafsson will be the guy who keeps things moving when Fox is in low energy mode.  It's a classic young-vet pair up.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1