• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Need to Rempe the Bruins

Dem

Hartford Center Matt Rempe 6' 8", 240lb needs to be called up to the big team. Hard Stop!

Scouting report: https://bluelinestation.com/2022/10/01/matt-rempe/

We need a player who can act as a deterrent to teams who take liberties on the NYR. I think big rough Canadian Matt Rempe is that guy. He is a guided missile, throwing the body like crazy and has some speed to do it. When necessary he drops the gloves and does quite well in that regard. He can easily slot in for Brodz or move Goodrow up to the third line and slot Rempe as the pivot on the 4th line (I hate to break that line up though).

He seems to have some skill as a player albeit at lower levels of hockey:

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G
2018-19 Spruce Grove Saints AJHL 43 4 8 12 32   5 0
2019-20 Seattle Thunderbirds WHL 47 12 19 31 53 -1    
2020-21 Spruce Grove Saints AJHL 2 0 0 0 2      
2020-21 Seattle Thunderbirds WHL 8 1 4 5 12 0    
2021-22 Seattle Thunderbirds WHL 56 17 6 23 93 -7 24 8
2022-23 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 53 6 4 10 87 0 -- --
2023-24 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 25 4 3 7 51 -3    

There has been a pattern recently of other teams taking liberties with out skilled team. This is during the regular season. I am very concerned players will continue to be battered and injured if something is not done in this regard. I am absolutely positive we will physically get the shit kicked out of us in the playoffs without someone to make the other teams think twice about that cheap shot or plastering one of our many skill players.

Thoughts???        

Love the player. Probably their future fourth-line center, but the idea of deterrence is objectively nonsense. It doesn't exist. It's a comforting lie we've told ourselves for decades because it maybe kinda sorta used to be true, but it most definitely hasn't been in at least a decade or longer now.

4 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Deterrence would be the department of player safety actually, you know, helping player safety 

Right. Because that hits them where actual deterrence lives — the wallet. Having to maybe fight a guy in a game because you do something that player doesn't like is whatever. Most guys can handle that. Getting told you won't be playing for the next eight games and that you wont' be paid for them either? That'll hit like smelling salts.

39 minutes ago, Phil said:

Love the player. Probably their future fourth-line center, but the idea of deterrence is objectively nonsense. It doesn't exist. It's a comforting lie we've told ourselves for decades because it maybe kinda sorta used to be true, but it most definitely hasn't been in at least a decade or longer now.

Enforcers who are on the team just to goon it up and fight don't exist any more.

What this team needs right now is Nicky Fotiu but his type are extinct in the modern NHL.

Cuylle and maybe Harpur next season are our best hopes in this dept even though they have skills also and aren't just goons.

1 hour ago, Dem said:

Hartford Center Matt Rempe 6' 8", 240lb needs to be called up to the big team.

No, he does not. 

We need a player who can act as a deterrent to teams who take liberties on the NYR.

No, we don't. 

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Enforcers who are on the team just to goon it up and fight don't exist any more.

What this team needs right now is Nicky Fotiu but his type are extinct in the modern NHL.

Cuylle and maybe Harpur next season are our best hopes in this dept even though they have skills also and aren't just goons.

This team has no problem sticking up for itself. I'm all for leaning into muscle, but it's gotta come through quality hockey players like Cuylle.

• Applause 1

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

This team has no problem sticking up for itself. I'm all for leaning into muscle, but it's gotta come through quality hockey players like Cuylle.

I don't think the team sticks up for each other particularly well.  That lovefest on the ice after Pastrnak's hit was a weak response.  Somebody should have been pounding on him right after the hit.

As much as I'm an old schooler, and love to see guys police opposing teams taking liberties, I think the guys are right on this one.  That "enforcer" shit's been pretty much dead for almost 20 years now.

What I'd like to see at this point is stiffer fines and suspensions for dumb shit like Pasta's hit, and even Trouba's stick swing.  I think the NHL needs to be stronger on enforcing dangerous plays, and especially one's that are done intentionally.

Hit 'em in the purse....that's where they'll feel it most.

Edited by Ozzy

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

They have Trouba, Cuylle, Schneider and Goodrow to do this job. These players will do justice when the time is right. 

Where were they last night? Fines and suspensions are great but where are they? There is no deterrent on this team and the league is really weak in this area. 

I don't want to hear anyone complaining when the next ranger is injured due to a nasty/dirty hit. These types of hits have been coming regularly of late. Hope it doesn't happen at the end of the season.

This kid may be able to play. Not looking for a straight up old school enforcer which is why I posted the scouting report and stats.  

6 minutes ago, Dem said:

Where were they last night? Fines and suspensions are great but where are they? There is no deterrent on this team and the league is really weak in this area. 

I don't want to hear anyone complaining when the next ranger is injured due to a nasty/dirty hit. These types of hits have been coming regularly of late. Hope it doesn't happen at the end of the season.

This kid may be able to play. Not looking for a straight up old school enforcer which is why I posted the scouting report and stats.  

You're watching the wrong era of hockey if you're expecting anyone to be a deterrent as has been mentioned.

What kind of response were you looking for? The team immediately reacted and Panarin ended up in the box because he jumped Pastrnak. Down 1-0 in a tight game after a recent spell of bad performances and they're supposed to what? Start gooning it up? The team responded in the moment, Pasta was kicked out of the game, and then they focused on beating Boston where it really mattered, the scoreboard. They wouldn't jeopardize any ability to come back in a game to get revenge.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Dem said:

They were busy winning the hockey game

• Like 1

Like everybody else said already I don't believe deterrence exists, however retaliation does for example Frederic making it clear from the beginning of the game he wanted to fight Trouba for him teeing off on his head last game with his stick. (there's a video of him making it clear early in the first period in the game day thread prior to a face off). 

While I think we do a better job of getting to the scene of the crime as a group, I think we do absolutely nothing most of the time when we get there and that's frustrating most times. I guess Panarin must of used a bad word to get a penalty in that "scrum". I also not suggesting Panarin drop his gloves. There's some guys though I think could send more of a physical message and they just don't. Many don't even finish checks. We have the best huggers in the league.  I don't believe you can teach toughness. Frustrating at times. 

Also really hard to be on both sides of the fence here as a fan when we have a guy who very often walks the line with hits that can often result in injury (even the clean ones), sometimes serious. When we deem them clean we get mad that he has to defend himself when challenged. 

I think the major part of the answer is consistency from the on ice officiating followed up by the same from the dept of player safety (meaningful fines, suspensions etc.) I have no hope we will see either.  Very sad that that part of our favorite sport remains an absolute joke and while I don't think it can get worse I continue to be proven wrong year after year.

1 hour ago, jsrangers said:

Like everybody else said already I don't believe deterrence exists, however retaliation does for example Frederic making it clear from the beginning of the game he wanted to fight Trouba for him teeing off on his head last game with his stick. (there's a video of him making it clear early in the first period in the game day thread prior to a face off). 

While I think we do a better job of getting to the scene of the crime as a group, I think we do absolutely nothing most of the time when we get there and that's frustrating most times. I guess Panarin must of used a bad word to get a penalty in that "scrum". I also not suggesting Panarin drop his gloves. There's some guys though I think could send more of a physical message and they just don't. Many don't even finish checks. We have the best huggers in the league.  I don't believe you can teach toughness. Frustrating at times. 

Also really hard to be on both sides of the fence here as a fan when we have a guy who very often walks the line with hits that can often result in injury (even the clean ones), sometimes serious. When we deem them clean we get mad that he has to defend himself when challenged. 

I think the major part of the answer is consistency from the on ice officiating followed up by the same from the dept of player safety (meaningful fines, suspensions etc.) I have no hope we will see either.  Very sad that that part of our favorite sport remains an absolute joke and while I don't think it can get worse I continue to be proven wrong year after year.

So many teams do little or nothing other than the obligatory scrum.

As you said… deterrence is gone.

Fighting is dying it’s death.

True enforcers are long gone.

That aspect of the game and the era in which it truly existed is dead and buried.

Thats over.

The league took that back from the players long ago. And rightfully so.

They just can’t get their own act together on how to handle it. 
I think they’ll eventually do it right. But I don’t know cause it’s pretty easy to figure out and they haven’t done so yet.

• Like 1