• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Goalie Controversy Time

Valriera

Toronto is really good. It’s not like he’s let in five goals against - oh.. wait. 

id just give the guy two weeks to rest and work with Benoit. Let quick take most of the games, work on your stuff, then back in there. It’s not going to take much but he’s gotta come up with one or two more of these each game here. Good shots but they’re stoppable and he’s not stopping them 

Edited by Valriera

He just really needs to make that extra save. With Igor, that save usually comes in the 1st 10 minutes of a game.

He made some ridiculous saves tonight. They're bleeding grade A chances, it's not good, but a better start to games for Igor would go a long way.

I'm all for giving Quick a few more reps, but that'll start showing diminishing returns pretty fast imo. Better to shelter him and get your horse on track.

• Keeps it 100 1

Valiquette really down on Igor in the post game, not liking a lot of what he's seeing positioning wise, his body language etc. Hank was in agreement. Not the first time Vally's talked about it, he just seemed to be really bothered by it even more tonight. Also said it was the worse loss of the season. "their 4 guys beat our 18"

• Like 1

Just now, jsrangers said:

Valiquette really down on Igor in the post game, not liking a lot of what he's seeing positioning wise, his body language etc. Hank was in agreement. Not the first time Vally's talked about it, he just seemed to be really bothered by it even more tonight. Also said it was the worse loss of the season. "their 4 guys beat our 18"

Oh shit the experts agree with me? They’re really in trouble 

• LMFAO 2

40 minutes ago, siddious said:

Once again not horrendous.. couple of saves he should have made. Most weren’t his fault. But you need your starter to keep you in games and make timely saves and he’s must not doing that.

He was God awful tonight. He's rebound control was terrible. He let in shots that I could have stopped. He was garbage.

Let's be clear, he had a terrible fucking game.

Does that make him a bad goalie? No, of course not. But he was garbage tonight. 

He does this every year. He goes through a really bad spell and eventually comes out of it.

That being said, we have never really had a backup behind Igor as good as Quick is right now. We’ve had good reliable guys but Quick is above the prior ones. So while this is no controversy, Quick is still gonna see his action. Especially with the back to backs we have coming up. The one difference being that I likely play Quick against the better teams in those B2B’s (Boston and Edmonton) than Igor right now. He needs to get his confidence restored.

He's not impressed when Igor throws his arms up after getting beat.  Good thing he was away the night he smashed his stick leaving the ice. 😂

Pregame they talked about whether the #1 feels any real pressure when the #2 is playing so well. Hank says for him the only pressure came from within to be better regardless of what the other guy was doing. Vally seemed to believe in the theory that it could be weighing on him. Personally imo, I can see it he comes across as a little bit fragile but that's just me. Not saying it's crippling him but I wouldn't rule it out that he carries it in the back of his mind.

He needs to stack a few really solid back to back games together and hopefully it will all take care of itself. 

Edited by jsrangers
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

He was God awful tonight. He's rebound control was terrible. He let in shots that I could have stopped. He was garbage.

I just find it hard to fully blame the goalie when the defense was arguably worse. It’s not just this game it’s been a long stretch this season he’s just not keeping this team in it. Happened last year too. 

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

He does this every year. He goes through a really bad spell and eventually comes out of it.

That being said, we have never really had a backup behind Igor as good as Quick is right now. We’ve had good reliable guys but Quick is above the prior ones. So while this is no controversy, Quick is still gonna see his action. Especially with the back to backs we have coming up. The one difference being that I likely play Quick against the better teams in those B2B’s (Boston and Edmonton) than Igor right now. He needs to get his confidence restored.

Yepp said this the other night. Inconsistenterkin.

1 minute ago, siddious said:

I just find it hard to fully blame the goalie when the defense was arguably worse. It’s not just this game it’s been a long stretch this season he’s just not keeping this team in it. Happened last year too. 

The defense was worse? Stop it. He let in four goals that should have been stopped. He was dribbling rebounds right in front. The only goal that was unstoppable was the Matthew's to Marner tap in.

He fucking sucked.

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

The defense was worse? Stop it. He let in four goals that should have been stopped. He was dribbling rebounds right in front. The only goal that was unstoppable was the Matthew's to Marner tap in.

He fucking sucked.

Maybe not worse but not good either. 

igor sucked we agree on that 

Just finished the game, he was awful. Three of those goals are saves and at least one more is stoppable. You can hardly get away with one softie a game, but three? These are wrist shots from distance going in, or getting rebounded directly in front of the net, or going right through him. I don’t even think the defense was bad. The first goal yeah. But your goalie has got to stop the wrist shot from the point. He’s gotta come up with shots that go through him once or twice. The mariner tap in is a great play.

I maintain that giving him a little block of practice time with Benoit would help. I don’t read much into the body language thing bc he’s always like that

6 hours ago, Pete said:
6 hours ago, siddious said:

He fucking sucked.

Parts of column A, parts of column B. 

Igor was shit. 

But team defense has taken an absolute nosedive lately. We're back to the doldrums of Quinn and GG with guys just waving their sticks around, lack of aggression and assertiveness, puck watching, not cleaning out in front of our own net, breakdowns in structure. The works.

That doesn't excuse Igor letting softies in, but it's a massive problem that we shouldn't let go because there's an easy fall guy in the goalie.

Both aspects are deeply troubling to me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pete said:

Here's the "Bingo" observation.

...he's been leaving rebounds right out in the middle of the slot, and directly in front of opposing players, lately.  That shit used to go to the corners or directed towards Rangers' defensive players.

>>>"PAGING MR. ALLAIRE....PLEASE PICK UP THE BLUE COURTESY PHONE...THANK YOU<<<

25 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Here's the "Bingo" observation.

...he's been leaving rebounds right out in the middle of the slot, and directly in front of opposing players, lately.  That shit used to go to the corners or directed towards Rangers' defensive players.

>>>"PAGING MR. ALLAIRE....PLEASE PICK UP THE BLUE COURTESY PHONE...THANK YOU<<<

That and he's not passing the puck off the boards or even moving it like his normal game.  Something is just completely off in his game.  

As alarming as his game has been of late, I'm not really worried about Igor.  He really hasn't seemed the same since he missed time with that injury.  Maybe it's still lingering, who knows.

The point is, he's our guy....and has been for a long time now.

You dance with the chick you bring to the party.  Stick with him, and we will prosper.  I think it's just a rut.  All the great one's go through this. 

...even saw Patty Roy fire his stick into the stands in Montreal one night, pissed at the crowd getting on him!

What happened to our 'protect the house' defense? We're collapsing alright, right into a pile of dung! When I see our defensemen scrambling around on all fours, I just close my eyes not wanting to see the carnage about to unfold. And then I hear the dreaded goal horn..."damn, not again!"

This AM after a decent night's sleep and some caffeine, I'm back to clear(er) thinking. Igor will find his way again. We'll be fine.

• Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1

17 minutes ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

What happened to our 'protect the house' defense? We're collapsing alright, right into a pile of dung! When I see our defensemen scrambling around on all fours, I just close my eyes not wanting to see the carnage about to unfold. And then I hear the dreaded goal horn..."damn, not again!"

This AM after a decent night's sleep and some caffeine, I'm back to clear(er) thinking. Igor will find his way again. We'll be fine.

I hate to point blame, big guy, but a lot of that was Igor kicking rebounds right back in the slot.  The defense had their own shortcomings as well, but last night there were, I counted 3 goals that Igor usually stops easily.

You know the deal, my man....We've been here before!!  😃

• Cheers 1

Rotten night for Igor last night.

Bad as we’ve seen him play quite honestly.

3-4 goals allowed last night on pucks he typically stops without any question. 

He’s in a rut and is clearly off his game.

A few games off, and sone work with Allaire is needed for him right now. 

That’s obvious.

Still not having any long-term concerns about him though. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Ride Quick. Ride him till the wheels fall off and then make Igor figure it out. Hot hand gets the net. Period. We want to win games.

Absolutely. Igor has been terrible ever since he came back from that injury. And Quick since the same time was excellent